Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ireland for surinder singh route (EU treaty rights)

Moving to Ireland for surinder singh route (EU treaty rights)

Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:28 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Ireland for surinder singh route (EU treaty rights)

Do you think living in Dublin, but working for a company remotely from America would fulfill the employed aspect of the surinder singh route in regards to getting a family permit to move my American wife to the UK. I'm British btw.

Furthermore, what exactly would the steps be, i'm pretty sure my wife can go to Ireland as a visitor or would she enter under another visa considering i'm an EU national bringing in my family with the aim to settle, albeit temporarily in the Rep. Ireland?

And lastly how would I go about paying self employment taxes in Ireland while I am there?
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:26 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ireland for surinder singh route (EU treaty rights)

Your probably better off posting this in the MBTTUK forum. Would you like me to move the thread for you?
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:30 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Your probably better off posting this in the MBTTUK forum. Would you like me to move the thread for you?
yes please, not sure where that is though
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not getting much of a response it is because you questions are quite unclear. I have tried reading your post several times and I am unable to deduce what it is you want to know.

Surinder Singh requires being economically active. That is to say your economic activity must be (1) non-zero (2) legal and (3) visible to the government (income tax etc) of your host nation (Ireland?). You could be making or losing money, but you can't be doing nothing nor financially invisible to the government. It doesn't have to be a lot of money (a part time job in a shop would do) but it can't be zero.

Last edited by holly_1948; Jul 27th 2013 at 3:39 am.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 1:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
Do you think living in Dublin, but working for a company remotely from America would fulfill the employed aspect of the surinder singh route in regards to getting a family permit to move my American wife to the UK. I'm British btw.
Realistically - a free online forum is not where you're likely to get meaningful advice on such a complex area, possibly with life changing decisions dependent on the outcome.

It is a good question to discuss with a competent immigration solicitor who has experience with the Surinder Singh route.

Furthermore, what exactly would the steps be, i'm pretty sure my wife can go to Ireland as a visitor or would she enter under another visa considering i'm an EU national bringing in my family with the aim to settle, albeit temporarily in the Rep. Ireland?
That's an Irish immigration question, so you probably need an Irish immigration lawyer to discuss further. You may be able to find some relevant information at http://www.inis.gov.ie

And lastly how would I go about paying self employment taxes in Ireland while I am there?
http://www.revenue.ie for Irish income taxes.

You almost certainly will have a U.S. tax impact to consider but without knowing your U.S. citizenship/visa status it is difficult to be specific. Your American employer may continue to treat you as an employee and you may need some U.S. legal advice on the subject.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:50 pm
Firetrak

Originally Posted by JAJ
Realistically - a free online forum is not where you're likely to get meaningful advice on such a complex area, possibly with life changing decisions dependent on the outcome.

It is a good question to discuss with a competent immigration solicitor who has experience with the Surinder Singh route.

That's an Irish immigration question, so you probably need an Irish immigration lawyer to discuss further. You may be able to find some relevant information at http://www.inis.gov.ie

http://www.revenue.ie for Irish income taxes.

You almost certainly will have a U.S. tax impact to consider but without knowing your U.S. citizenship/visa status it is difficult to be specific. Your American employer may continue to treat you as an employee and you may need some U.S. legal advice on the subject.
Thanks JAJ, this is all speculative at the moment, as I hope the UK spouse visa will just be approved.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

Originally Posted by ldollard

Hi there, I have just posted my experience of taking the SS route in the Moving back to the UK forum.

I am also looking into the same queries you have. I have clients in SA and will be arranging for them to pay into my Irish bank account via paypal which I think will work okay. I haven't found anything which contradicts this.

As a self employed person, you pay tax each October. Here is a useful link:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...ndividual.html

You can bring your wife (see my post to see how we did it).

Hope this helps.