Wikiposts

Moving back US Spouse, non married partner.

Old Mar 2nd 2015, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Mtalbot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back US Spouse, non married partner.

Hello, Been lurking, great info on the boards.

Here is my deal. Me, British Citizen, Green Card holder, been in the US 25 years, time to go back. My girlfriend, US Citizen, non married partner, and I have lived to together for 2.5 years. We have proof, lease agreement etc.

I'm close to getting a job offer in London, 80K UKP, so no problem on the salary route, have been gainfully employed in the USA all the time, very good salaries, well over the 18.6K UKP the gov need for proof.

We've gone over everything and can't see a problem our end.

But, does anyone know if they score people who are married higher than those of us who are not? Clearly I can take care of her, I can sponsor her, she is PT so she has skills that can be transferred.

The way I look at things, the government want to ensure you are employed, can take care of your partner, and not go on welfare, that the relationship is valid and not trying to get someone into the country in a "sham" relationship, that's the basic premise, right?

Any advise would be great, thanks.

Mark
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 3:31 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back US Spouse, non married partner.

You are comparing apples and oranges......you'd apply for a different visa than a married couple.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 3:38 am
Just Joined

We have printed off the forms, the check boxes list relationship to sponsor, there 5 options, spouse, civil partner, fiancee, unmarried partner, proposed civil partner.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 3:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mtalbot
We have printed off the forms, the check boxes list relationship to sponsor, there 5 options, spouse, civil partner, fiancee, unmarried partner, proposed civil partner.
would be 'unmarried partner' unless you are engaged, Can I suggest that, if you haven't doen so already, you become a US citizen before moving back, my save some problems in the future
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Thank you, that's what we thought, There are no benefits to doing that, I don't intend to come back and I want to avoid the double taxation.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 6:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mtalbot
Thank you, that's what we thought, There are no benefits to doing that, I don't intend to come back and I want to avoid the double taxation.
This forum is full of people who find themselves in situations they did not "intend", keeping your options open can be a good strategic decision, and there are many examples here that prove that.

As a green card holder you are already ensnared in the US tax system and can't make a clean break in the short term. You won't be taxed twice, that isn't possible, but you would have to complete a US tax return for life if you became a USC.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 2nd 2015 at 6:22 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 8:04 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As a green card holder you are already ensnared in the US tax system and can't make a clean break in the short term. You won't be taxed twice, that isn't possible, but you would have to complete a US tax return for life if you became a USC.
The OP is a LPR so will have to file an 8854 to satisfy the IRS and should file an I-409 with the State department, after that he will be an NRA with not US tax due on non-US source income.