Wikiposts

Moving back on US Passports

Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back on US Passports

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Since you are entering the UK on your US passport, but have your expired UK passport with you then not sure what stamp the Immigration official will put in your US passport.

If the 6 month visitor stamp is applied, then once you renew your UK passport your status as visitor will also cease.

The main message is to get you and your children UK passports within the 6 months of entering the UK.

Enter under the EU section - obviously both you and the children.
Would be admitted as a Brit citizen, old passport would be proof of that. The US passport is only need as USC's need to use one to travel and without a current passport you might have issues getting on the plane in the first place.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emilx
That's a great point Bob - I'd planned to do that but hadn't thought of getting it notarized. Thanks
Aye, some folks say they never need the letter, some don't bother with it notarised, but considering you can get it done free in most banks, libraries or town halls if you're resident of the area, it's just worth doing to be on the safe side
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I really appreciate this feedback SanDiegogirl.

I guess what I'm wondering is - if applying for and getting British passports for me and the children after we've arrived is, in fact, going to remove our 'visitor' status, why go through the EU line and worry about the showing them an expired passport?

I get the feeling this wouldn't be by the book - if I'm planning to stay I should be entering as a UK person, I do see the logic of that. I'm just wondering if it really would be terrible to enter as a visitor and have our status change within the 6 months after that. Its definitely my intention to apply for the UK passports asap.
If you enter the UK as visitors in the non UK/EU line then you will need to state how long you are staying for and maybe show your return tickets. I thought you were staying in the UK permanently so you would not want to enter as a visitor and lie to the Immigration official would you? Do you even have return tickets?

If not, you could get caught up in why you are entering as a visitor but have no return tickets.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely go in as UKC, show your expired passport (and birth certificate if necessary). The children will go through the EU line with you....even my non EU husband comes through with me when we travel to the UK! Going in as a visitor could end up in all kinds of complications.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:07 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Passport is a travel document. Lack of passport does not mean lack of citizenship.

If you have US Passports, UK will likely let you in. After that, if you really are a UK citizens, you will be able to obtain the necessary documentation allowing you to stay in UK.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:42 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Passport is a travel document. Lack of passport does not mean lack of citizenship.

If you have US Passports, UK will likely let you in. After that, if you really are a UK citizens, you will be able to obtain the necessary documentation allowing you to stay in UK.
A passport does not confer citizenship but it does provide you with evidence of that citizenship for the purposes of immigration control. UKBF might let you in without a British passport but they would be within their rights to turn you away if were not satisfied with your identity/citizenship and the stated purpose of your entry in the UK.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Emilx is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on all the advice I think what I'll probably do is go through the EU line, let them know the situation and my intentions, and show them the expired passport along with my original birth certificate, marriage certificate, letter from my spouse confirming permission to travel with the children, a copy of the tenancy agreement for the property I rent in the UK, and, well, anything else I can think of.

I called the UKBA this morning and they agreed that I should enter as a British citizen - they said what happens next would be at the discretion of the officer. Not my favourite way to enter a country, but I don't want to do anything that jeopardises my spouse's visa application.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Based on all the advice I think what I'll probably do is go through the EU line, let them know the situation and my intentions, and show them the expired passport along with my original birth certificate, marriage certificate, letter from my spouse confirming permission to travel with the children, a copy of the tenancy agreement for the property I rent in the UK, and, well, anything else I can think of.

I called the UKBA this morning and they agreed that I should enter as a British citizen - they said what happens next would be at the discretion of the officer. Not my favourite way to enter a country, but I don't want to do anything that jeopardises my spouse's visa application.
Good decision.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Do you have your old expired UK passports?

Here is a previous thread on the same subject.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642808

My advice would be to try to contact the Border Agency asap and get their view before you travel.
Better that than trying to explain it all when you arrive and getting stuck in an interminable wait with all the other arrivees.
A few months ago I called the UK Border Agency about this very issue. They strongly advised me not to try entering on my US passport because I could be turned away - especially with pets on the same plane, making it look as if I was there to stay.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by windsong
A few months ago I called the UK Border Agency about this very issue. They strongly advised me not to try entering on my US passport because I could be turned away - especially with pets on the same plane, making it look as if I was there to stay.
What happened in the end, if you don't mind me asking? If anyone's had first hand experience of going through the gate with an expired passport I'd love to hear how it went. I'm fairly petrified by the prospect.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

What happened in the end, if you don't mind me asking? If anyone's had first hand experience of going through the gate with an expired passport I'd love to hear how it went. I'm fairly petrified by the prospect.
I decided to apply for the passport. Moving is too stressful as it is without adding unnecessary stress.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I returned to UK with my parents' expired family passport (the one we emigrated to Canada on) many years ago when my Grandmother was gravely ill. I explained the situation re family emergency and had no problems. Years later when my Grandfather was ill and subsequently died, my Dad and my Sister found themselves in the same predicament with expired passports but had no difficulty entering UK due to circumstances. My Sister also took her youngest (18 month old) Canadian born son whom my Grandfather had never seen and had no bother getting him into UK. As I said though, this was some time ago and the world is now a different place - I wouldn't risk it today.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 4:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Once you are in the UK, getting the children a UK passport is probably the most important thing to do. Once they have this they will be elliglble for the full NHS services, until then, only emergency as a free option. Also get yourself onto the Electoral Roll.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by curleytops
I returned to UK with my parents' expired family passport (the one we emigrated to Canada on) many years ago when my Grandmother was gravely ill. I explained the situation re family emergency and had no problems. Years later when my Grandfather was ill and subsequently died, my Dad and my Sister found themselves in the same predicament with expired passports but had no difficulty entering UK due to circumstances. My Sister also took her youngest (18 month old) Canadian born son whom my Grandfather had never seen and had no bother getting him into UK. As I said though, this was some time ago and the world is now a different place - I wouldn't risk it today.
Well, it's what the UK Border Authority advised me to do, so it's clearly not something that used to be allowed and isn't any longer. My guess is that they are probably more rigorous in checking those documents and making sure that you are who you say you are than they used to be. We'll see. Thanks for telling me what happened to you, I appreciate it.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Once you are in the UK, getting the children a UK passport is probably the most important thing to do. Once they have this they will be elliglble for the full NHS services, until then, only emergency as a free option. Also get yourself onto the Electoral Roll.
Yes, I agree - I'd actually be starting the application right now if we weren't due to travel in 2 weeks. I actually considered doing it a month ago, before I realised just how important it was, and then didn't because a) the expense to do it from the US is quite a bit higher and b) it was too close to the date I intended to travel for comfort, since the application instructs me to send in all the passports I have (US and expired). Had I realised the mess I was getting into through not have a current UK passport I would probably have applied and risked having to wait an extra few weeks. I really don't have any choice but to fly out as planned now, though, so like it or not this is how it's going to have to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.