Moving back with US passport

Old Jul 2nd 2016, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

redfox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back with US passport

I'm a UK-US dual citizen, born in the UK. I've been living and working in New York for 15 years. I've just been offered a job in London starting in two weeks. I have a US passport, but have never had a UK passport. I have my birth certificate and an official National Insurance Number letter. In my understanding, if I prove I'm British, they shouldn't stamp my US passport with some sort of visa restriction as that violates my unconditional right to live and work in the UK. So, what is likely to happen at border control? Will they let me in?
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 7:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back with US passport

Yes they will let you in, but you may have issues either (i) proving that you're a British citizen, OR (ii) after you're in, proving that you're in the UK legally.

You can ignore (i) entirely, so long as you have a return ticket, or you aren't asked about return or onward travel plans, but then (ii) might become an issue.

Maybe you could apply for a British passport soon after you arrive in the UK (it is only taking about a week to get a passport at the moment), then plan a short trip to the continent soon after receiving it, then reenter the UK on your British passport.

Unless you have a return or onward ticket you might have a problem being allowed onto the plane in the US, as the airlines don't like having to take people back who were refused entry by immigration.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your birth certificate and NIC number do not prove you are a British citizen.

Plenty of folk have an NIC number and Brit birth certificate, but are not British citizens. (if parents were not settled in the UK at time of your birth, or not married at time of your birth, or were in the UK on military duties etc, then you might not be a Brit citizen)

If you enter the UK on your US passport you WILL get a visitor stamp only.

You should either obtain a British passport before you go or one immediately upon entry to the UK.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses. Are there any other documents (other than a UK passport) that would help reassure immigration officials that I'm British or at least allowed to work in the UK? According to the Home Office: "British citizens may also demonstrate their permission to work through their full UK birth or adoption certificate ... together with an official document giving their permanent National Insurance number ..." Basically, I just want to be sure they won't send me back to the USA or make me pay some huge fee. I need to be certain they will let me into the country, even if there may be some hassle/delay. Is there a particular government agency I should ask before travelling? I've found it impossible to reach anyone at the British consulate.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The consulate won't help you.

What about copies of your parents birth certificates to show that they were born in the UK and are British citizens? Also their marriage certificate to show they were married when you were born?

A Brit passport is the only real proof that you are a Brit citizen. You will probably be allowed into the UK but expect to get the visitor stamp only.

What are your circumstances that you now live in the US, believe you are a Brit citizen but have no passport?
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 9:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

They will let you in, so long as you have a return or onward ticket. Answer the immigration officer's questions honestly and briefly, but if you start blathering about being a British citizen or working, you will open all sorts of cans of worms, so try to avoid going there!

As a British citizen you are entitled to be allowed in, and entitled to work (entering on a US passport doesn't change that), and with an NI number your employer shouldn't give you a problem. So if you enter on your US passport, and get stamped in, which IMO isn't worth fighting over, you should obtain a British passport as soon as possible, like urgently, then leave the country and return on your British passport as soon as you can.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Obtaining copies of parents' documents seems like a good idea.

I was born in the UK to a British father and American mother. I had dual citizenship from birth and lived in UK until I was 18. I got a US passport when I was 12 and used it to travel back and forth (US citizens must use a US passport to enter the US). Never saw the need to get a UK passport (until now).

I don't think employer was planning on giving me a return ticket - they're paying. My intent to work will be revealed immediately when I'm asked why I'm coming to the UK. I'd prefer to be honest and straightforward.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They will let you in, so long as you have a return or onward ticket. Answer the immigration officer's questions honestly and briefly, but if you start blathering about being a British citizen or working, you will open all sorts of cans of worms, so try to avoid going there!

Son of friend of mine (both Brit citizens but living in the US) returned to the UK - with a return ticket

Official: What are you going to do in UK?
Son: I'm coming to work with my uncle in London
Official: Not on a US passport with no visa you're not
Son: But I'm British!
Official: Really?
Son: Yes, born and brought up in the UK
Official: Prove it
Son: (whipping out his UK passport) - here!
Official: Words to the affect he should be entering the UK on his UK passport, don't waste our time next time you enter - and no "have a good stay"
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by redfox

I was born in the UK to a British father and American mother. I had dual citizenship from birth and lived in UK until I was 18. I got a US passport when I was 12 and used it to travel back and forth (US citizens must use a US passport to enter the US). Never saw the need to get a UK passport (until now).

I don't think employer was planning on giving me a return ticket - they're paying. My intent to work will be revealed immediately when I'm asked why I'm coming to the UK. I'd prefer to be honest and straightforward.
Well at a pinch, and if you're prepared to pay for express courier service and express processing, you may still have time to get a British passport. Mine was turned around a couple of months ago in eight days mailing (on a Tuesday) to receipt (on a Wednesday) in the UK), without express processing.
Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Son of friend of mine (both Brit citizens but living in the US) returned to the UK - with a return ticket

Official: What are you going to do in UK?
Son: I'm coming to work with my uncle in London
Official: Not on a US passport with no visa you're not
Son: But I'm British!
Official: Really?
Son: Yes, born and brought up in the UK
Official: Prove it
Son: (whipping out his UK passport) - here!
Official: Words to the affect he should be entering the UK on his UK passport, don't waste our time next time you enter - and no "have a good stay"
Well that's just being an äř§ə!
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Parents married?

You are 33 now....... born, 1983?

Without a return ticket you could have a problem even getting on the plane in the US.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You obtained a US passport when you were 12.

How did you use this passport to re-enter the UK if you were, apparently, living in the UK until you were 18?

Entering on a US passport would mean you would only obtain a visitor stamp and you would have been questioned if you said you were returning to live in the UK. Being able to go back and forth does not sound plausible.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 6:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you are arriving at the UK border with only a US passport, no UK visa and a stated intention to work in the UK then you are very unlikely to be allowed in. Being allowed in as a visitor only works if you are intending to return to the US within six months, not start living and working.

Bottom line is you need to apply for your British passport immediately if you want to have a chance to begin work on your scheduled start date.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jul 5th 2016, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

As somebody who works in Payroll and has to sometimes check documents to prove eligibility to work, I can say that you will be unlikely to be allowed to work with just a US passport and NI Number. An NI Number means nothing. You could have (for example) had a work visa in the past, been issued an NI Number, then the visa expired. So you have an NIN but are no longer legal to work in the UK.

Have you got the long form birth certificate showing both parents' names? That plus NIN should enable your employer to check you can work.

Of course as others have pointed out, it won't help you get on a plane to the UK on a one-way ticket.

Peeps have mentioned one week to get a UK passport, but I thought it took longer for a first passport? Won't the OP need an identity interview? My hubby recently got his first UK passport (after naturalisation) and it took longer than a week, more like 2 to get the interview letter, then he had to arrange the interview, but got the passport a couple of days after the interview.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
.... My hubby recently got his first UK passport (after naturalisation) and it took longer than a week, more like 2 to get the interview letter, then he had to arrange the interview, but got the passport a couple of days after the interview.
But your husband wasn't born in the UK with British father.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But your husband wasn't born in the UK with British father.
I understood that everybody has to have an identity interview for their first burgundy passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.