British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Moving back to UK with successful job offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/moving-back-uk-successful-job-offer-857810/)

whatadiva May 7th 2015 6:25 pm

Moving back to UK with successful job offer

Our move back to the UK is now happening sooner rather than later...
I am applying for my husbands UK Spouse visa (category A). Other than that, our 6 month old doesn't have a UK passport, but I did apply for her UK born abroad consular report...

Can I use this along with her US passport (which I also applied)..what issues will there be at the UK boarder when presenting these 2 items?

BritInParis May 7th 2015 10:45 pm

Re: Moving back to UK with successful job offer

It's a legal requirement for your daughter to leave the US on her US passport if she's a citizen so carrying that is essential.

Whilst it's possible for her to move to the UK on her US passport it would technically speaking be at the discretion of the immigration officer even with a consular birth certificate. Average turnaround time for British passport applications from the US is reportedly two to three weeks at the moment so I would recommend obtaining her passport before you go. If you have a consular birth certificate you can use this in lieu of any other certificates to get her passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

whatadiva May 8th 2015 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11639991)
It's a legal requirement for your daughter to leave the US on her US passport if she's a citizen so carrying that is essential.

Whilst it's possible for her to move to the UK on her US passport it would technically speaking be at the discretion of the immigration officer even with a consular birth certificate. Average turnaround time for British passport applications from the US is reportedly two to three weeks at the moment so I would recommend obtaining her passport before you go. If you have a consular birth certificate you can use this in lieu of any other certificates to get her passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

can first time child UK passports be expedited from overseas?

SanDiegogirl May 8th 2015 7:36 pm

If you fill in the form on the linked website saying you are currently residing in the US and applying for a first passport, it informs you that applications are taking 10 weeks plus?

I think some on this forum have found it to be even longer?

Gillymonkey May 8th 2015 7:49 pm

Worst case scenario just have baby enter as a visitor on the US passport then apply for the UK passport within the UK .

This is what we will be doing with our newborn since there just isn't time to get his UK passport before we move,

BritInParis May 9th 2015 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 11640912)
If you fill in the form on the linked website saying you are currently residing in the US and applying for a first passport, it informs you that applications are taking 10 weeks plus?

I think some on this forum have found it to be even longer?

BE members are reporting only two or three days actual processing time at the moment for a renewal from the US. If the OP has a consular birth birth certificate for her child then it should be equally as quick. Her husband hasn't even applied for his visa yet so I think it very unlikely that the baby's passport application would take longer than the husband's visa application.

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey (Post 11640924)
Worst case scenario just have baby enter as a visitor on the US passport then apply for the UK passport within the UK .

This is what we will be doing with our newborn since there just isn't time to get his UK passport before we move,

Fine if you are visiting the UK but not a great idea if you are moving back to the UK. Unless you're moving within the next three or four weeks I would apply for the passport as soon as possible.

Gillymonkey May 11th 2015 1:03 am

Not possible for us. Baby won't be born in time and we need to fly before it's possible to get a British passport for him. Can't expedite it from outside the country.

Gillymonkey May 11th 2015 1:04 am

Also we had a consular birth certificate for our other son and it still took over 12 weeks to get his British passport. The birth cert doesn't help speed things up.

BritInParis May 11th 2015 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey (Post 11642378)
Not possible for us. Baby won't be born in time and we need to fly before it's possible to get a British passport for him. Can't expedite it from outside the country.

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey (Post 11642381)
Also we had a consular birth certificate for our other son and it still took over 12 weeks to get his British passport. The birth cert doesn't help speed things up.

Depends on when you last applied, particularly if it was during last summer's backlog. Processing times have greatly improved recently.