Moving back to UK with partner

Old May 16th 2022, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

nhs84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK with partner

Hi all,

I'm looking to move back to the UK with my partner.
I've got a British and Australian passport and he has an Australian passport.

We've been together for a few years but are not yet married and wanted to know where to start on the visa process.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old May 16th 2022, 9:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK with partner

Hi, take a look at this response from SDG in the post below this one, as it gives you the links/info you need - Moving back to UK from NZ

HTH, good luck.
Old May 16th 2022, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. So the next issue will be the employment side of things and having an offer.
We both have our own ABN companies here in Oz and perform contract work and pay ourselves a set monthly salary from our respective companies.

The idea would be to start 1 UK company and to do the same so we wouldn't have a job offer.
I own 50% of an apartment in London, which we would move into or continue to rent out for a profit (I'll hopefully 100% of the apartment in the next couple months).
As for cash, we have used our cash to buy 2 properties here in Oz and it wouldn't make sense to sell in order to get cash.
Old May 16th 2022, 10:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance your partner qualifies for a UK Ancestry visa?
https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa
Old May 16th 2022, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

I wish.
Closest would be he thinks 1 grandparent was born in Germany but no passports...
Old May 16th 2022, 11:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger. I don't know if the German connection would help for another type of visa, but I'm sure someone else here will know.
Old May 16th 2022, 2:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A German passport won’t help. If you have two properties you rent out in Australia then potentially that income could be used to meet the financial requirements. How old is your partner?
Old May 16th 2022, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You need to read the following document carefully, to see how you could qualify:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...equirement.pdf

Old May 16th 2022, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You need to read the following document carefully, to see how you could qualify:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...equirement.pdf
Thanks but I have read in full and its not clear given my situation as a director of a company returning to the UK.
Old May 16th 2022, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

UPDATE:
Okay, so it turns out his grandfather wasn't born in Germany. He was born in Namibia (then South-west Africa) in 1910 to German parents who emigrated there in 1908.

My partner's mum just sent us a photo of a certificate of Naturalisation (written in Afrikaans) and we're trying to translate it:
British Nationality and Union Neutralization and Alien Status Act, 1926

On 17 June 1949 his grandfather (on his dad's side) became a British citizen. My partners dad was then born 1958.

It there anything here we could explore further?
Old May 16th 2022, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to qualify under self employment then you need to show all the necessary income/tax documents for your current company (similar to if you had a company in the UK) and ALSO show that you have set up a company in the UK so that the income will continue.

Read Paragraph 7 and then 8 of the following document:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence

Basically you have to show that you have made the necessary financial requirement in your current company and that you will in your new company in the UK

(probably the most difficult category to qualify under)
Old May 16th 2022, 10:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nhs84
UPDATE:
Okay, so it turns out his grandfather wasn't born in Germany. He was born in Namibia (then South-west Africa) in 1910 to German parents who emigrated there in 1908.

My partner's mum just sent us a photo of a certificate of Naturalisation (written in Afrikaans) and we're trying to translate it:

On 17 June 1949 his grandfather (on his dad's side) became a British citizen. My partners dad was then born 1958.

What year was your partner born?
Old May 16th 2022, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
What year was your partner born?
Partner was born in 1986.
Old May 16th 2022, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nhs84
UPDATE:

Namibia was never a British colony or protectorate - Namibia was a German colony from 1884 to 1919, then administered by apartheid South Africa until 1990.

So how did the grandfather become a British citizen in 1949?.... in South Africa? South Africa was a British colony until 1961

For an Ancestry visa doesn't one of your grandparents have to be born in the UK?

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; May 16th 2022 at 11:54 pm.
Old May 17th 2022, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Namibia was never a British colony or protectorate - Namibia was a German colony from 1884 to 1919, then administered by apartheid South Africa until 1990.

So how did the grandfather become a British citizen in 1949?.... in South Africa? South Africa was a British colony until 1961

For an Ancestry visa doesn't one of your grandparents have to be born in the UK?
The certificate states South West Africa everywhere, nothing about South Africa, but South West Africa was under South African control so maybe as a colony it passed it on as SWA was treated as a 5th province of South Africa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.