Moving back to UK from NZ

Old May 16th 2022, 12:57 am
Just Joined

jcpw20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK from NZ

I am British, my partner is German. We lived together in the UK for 18 months in 2017/2018. We moved to NZ where we have lived for the last 4 years. We are looking at going back to the UK next year for a time. We want to be able to travel freely between NZ and UK so looking for my German partner to get UK residency.

Now with Brexit I'm a bit confused about where we stand. When I look on the UK gov.uk website, it keeps directing me to the EU settlement scheme which I don't think we can apply for because we haven't been living in the EU. Can anyone help shed some light on this. Can we apply for EU settlement scheme or do we need to apply for some other kind of visa?
Old May 16th 2022, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from NZ

You have missed the Brexit EU Settlement Scheme.
Unless your partner has some British Ancestry, you will need to sponsor him/her for a family visa under UK immigration rules:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

There are financial requirements: Read the following document carefully to see how you can qualify:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...equirement.pdf

Moving freely between UK and NZ only comes if you have citizenship in both countries. Becoming a UK national only happens after 5 years of residency.
Old May 16th 2022, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

jcpw20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks SanDiegogirl this is what I was expecting but I hoped there was an easier way. I can see that there is a lot of reading and form filling in my future.
Old May 16th 2022, 11:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your partner has a National Insurance number then it’s worth trying a late application to the EU Settlement Scheme.