Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK with Husband (using proceeds of house sale)

Moving back to UK with Husband (using proceeds of house sale)

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

twopintsandabagofcrisps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK with Husband (using proceeds of house sale)

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if anyone could help and shed some light on some things for me as its not exactly crystal clear on the UK immigration website.

Ill be moving back to the UK with my Canadian husband later this year (We lived in Canada the last 15 years). We plan on using the savings route (Cat D) to qualify. Me going home and finding an employer will be too much trouble to do and time apart. We own our house in Canada and are planning on selling it.

Here's where I am unclear on things:

Question One
So if I sell my house and the proceeds of the sale hit my account say on April 1st, does that mean we are eligible to apply on April 1st for the visa? (There will be much more than the required 65K needed) we also have no savings in an account currently so this would be our only option.

Question Two
Can I move some of the money out of the account while the application goes through e.g. to buy a property in the UK? As long as there is the 65K minimum left in their?

Question Three
What evidence would I need to send with my application to prove the above route for the spousal Visa in terns of the house sale and monies in the account?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK with Husband (using proceeds of house sale)

The OP should consider applying for Canadian citizenship before her return to the UK if not already done so.

Did any of your husband's grandparents was born in the UK? If so, he can enter the UK using an UK Ancestry visa, which is easier to apply than the spouse visa -

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 4:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Evidence that you had owned the property for at least six months prior to the sale and a bank statement showing the money deposited in your account.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
The OP should consider applying for Canadian citizenship before her return to the UK if not already done so.

Did any of your husband's grandparents was born in the UK? If so, he can enter the UK using an UK Ancestry visa, which is easier to apply than the spouse visa -

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview
He is of American descent so the ancestry visa isn't an option.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Evidence that you had owned the property for at least six months prior to the sale and a bank statement showing the money deposited in your account.
This is great news, thank you so much for the information. I can stop worrying about this now.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

One last question, would my spouse be allowed to leave Canada whilst applying for the visa to go somewhere for 2 weeks (not the UK) like the USA during the application. Do they take your passport away or only at the end to put the visa in it?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twopintsandabagofcrisps
One last question, would my spouse be allowed to leave Canada whilst applying for the visa to go somewhere for 2 weeks (not the UK) like the USA during the application. Do they take your passport away or only at the end to put the visa in it?
In principle, yes, but your spouse will need to submit his passport so unless he has another travel document that is acceptable for travel to the US (e.g. an Enhanced Driver's Licence) or a second passport then he won't be able to travel
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

In principle, yes, but your spouse will need to submit his passport so unless he has another travel document that is acceptable for travel to the US (e.g. an Enhanced Driver's Licence) or a second passport then he won't be able to travel
Thanks again britinparis, he should be ok then as he has a US passport and he will be applying with his Canadian passport. Thanks so much for the help.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:14 pm

Thanks again britinparis, he should be ok then as he has a US passport and he will be applying with his Canadian passport. Thanks so much for the help.
I would make a colour photocopy of his Canadian passport to prevent any issues crossing back into Canada.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

I would make a colour photocopy of his Canadian passport to prevent any issues crossing back into Canada.
Yes Ill tell him to do this, also he has drivers license etc.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

I have another question if anyone can help.

Instead of waiting for the actual day that we are eligible to apply for the visa, can I start the application to save time for when we are?

From what I see you apply online and pay, then you schedule an interview with vfs.global which could take a while?

Could I apply before the day we sell our house or must I wait for that day to kick things off? Is the initial date of the online questions and payment the date that you must be eligible or is the interview date the time you need to be eligible from?
Old Mar 13th 2017, 11:28 pm

I have another question if anyone can help.

Instead of waiting for the actual day that we are eligible to apply for the visa, can I start the application to save time for when we are?

From what I see you apply online and pay, then you schedule an interview with vfs.global which could take a while?

Could I apply before the day we sell our house or must I wait for that day to kick things off? Is the initial date of the online questions and payment the date that you must be eligible or is the interview date the time you need to be eligible from?
You can start filling in the application form but it's very important that you do not submit the application until you are eligible. Your ECO will assess your circumstances on the date of lodgement, i.e. when you pay your application fee. I would wait until the funds from your house sale hit your account.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again BritinParis,

So is the date of lodgment the day we have the in person interview where we submit the documents or the day I click apply on the visa government website?
Old Mar 14th 2017, 11:51 pm

Thanks again BritinParis,

So is the date of lodgment the day we have the in person interview where we submit the documents or the day I click apply on the visa government website?
There's no interview per se; you just hand over your documents and give your biometrics. The date of lodgement will be when you submit your application online.