British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Moving back to UK, advice appreciated (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/moving-back-uk-advice-appreciated-918698/)

Bekkasaurus Oct 27th 2018 2:15 am

Moving back to UK, advice appreciated

Hi there,

My partner and I are hoping to move to the UK together. I am a British citizen who has been living in New Zealand for 4 years (now a permanent resident). My partner is a US citizen who is currently in NZ on a work visa, we would like to figure out the UK process before we throw any more money at getting a new NZ visa.
I was just hoping to get some clarity regarding our options, apologies if I'm repeating any prior questions.
1. Relationship requirement - do we need to have been living together for 2 years or is proof of the relationship existing for 2 years sufficient? We have not yet lived together for 2 years.
2. I am a salaried employee in NZ and meet the minimum financial income requirement, I'll still need a UK job offer that meets this requirement and starts within 3 months of arriving? We have savings but not £62.5K worth.
3. Is there any financial responsibility for him? He also meets the minimum earnings amount threshold.
4. Would being married benefit our application?

Any help or advice is much appreciated. I have tried on multiple occasions to get my head around the information on the GOV website, however find it quite confusing. Thanks.

BritInParis Oct 27th 2018 2:44 am

Re: Moving back to UK, advice appreciated

1. You will evidence that you have lived together for at least two years in a relationship akin to marriage. Dating does not count. Getting married would nix this requirement.

2. Yes, you’ll need to have both.

3. The applicant’s salaried income is irrelevant at this stage.

4. See answer #1.

Does your partner have any recent European ancestry? Parents, grandparents or great-grandparents born in the UK, Ireland or elsewhere in Europe?

pendledreams5 Oct 28th 2018 12:22 am

Hi BritinParis,
If I have great-grandparents that were born in Ireland, does that count for an ancestry visa? I thought it only went back as far as grandparents?

thanks!

Bekkasaurus Oct 28th 2018 12:31 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12583772)
1. You will evidence that you have lived together for at least two years in a relationship akin to marriage. Dating does not count. Getting married would nix this requirement.

2. Yes, you’ll need to have both.

3. The applicant’s salaried income is irrelevant at this stage.

4. See answer #1.

Does your partner have any recent European ancestry? Parents, grandparents or great-grandparents born in the UK, Ireland or elsewhere in Europe?

Hi BritInParis,

Thank you so much for your help.
He has German ancestry but we're not quite sure how far, could possibly be great grandparents. How would this assist us?

BritInParis Oct 28th 2018 12:31 am

Originally Posted by pendledreams5 (Post 12584091)
Hi BritinParis,
If I have great-grandparents that were born in Ireland, does that count for an ancestry visa? I thought it only went back as far as grandparents?

thanks!

UK Ancestry visas are for Commonwealth citizens who have at least one grandparent born in the UK. An Irish-born grandparent would entitle you to Irish citizenship by registration. An Irish-born great-grandparent is only useful if your relevant parent was registered as an Irish citizen before you were born.

BritInParis Oct 28th 2018 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Bekkasaurus (Post 12584095)
Hi BritInParis,

Thank you so much for your help.
He has German ancestry but we're not quite sure how far, could possibly be great grandparents. How would this assist us?

If he is entitled to German citizenship then that would bypass the need for a spouse visa.

pendledreams5 Oct 28th 2018 12:38 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12584096)
UK Ancestry visas are for Commonwealth citizens who have at least one grandparent born in the UK. An Irish-born grandparent would entitle you to Irish citizenship by registration. An Irish-born great-grandparent is only useful if your relevant parent was registered as an Irish citizen before you were born.

thank you for your response,
I am a US citizen, I have paternal great-grandparents from Ireland, but my father was never registered, to my knowledge. I also have great-grandparents born in Italy, and their records are more easily found.

BritInParis Oct 28th 2018 12:46 am

Originally Posted by pendledreams5 (Post 12584098)

thank you for your response,
I am a US citizen, I have paternal great-grandparents from Ireland, but my father was never registered, to my knowledge. I also have great-grandparents born in Italy, and their records are more easily found.

Is it possible to ask your father? If not then Italian can be one of the best ones once you jump through the bureaucratic hoops. Can you provide a potted family tree of your Italian side with their sex and years and countries of birth?

pendledreams5 Oct 28th 2018 12:55 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12584100)
Is it possible to ask your father? If not then Italian can be one of the best ones once you jump through the bureaucratic hoops. Can you provide a potted family tree of your Italian side with their sex and years and countries of birth?

we have a family member that did extensive genealogical research on my Italian side, might just be able to get that info! But what about official documents? That might be tricky, and how many bureaucratic hoops are there?? It would be fantastic to avoid the whole U.K. spouse visa route if I could.

BritInParis Oct 28th 2018 1:01 am

Originally Posted by pendledreams5 (Post 12584103)
we have a family member that did extensive genealogical research on my Italian side, might just be able to get that info! But what about official documents? That might be tricky, and how many bureaucratic hoops are there?? It would be fantastic to avoid the whole U.K. spouse visa route if I could.

Italian bureaucracy is notorious but if you have a valid claim and you’re persistent then gaining an Italian passport would bypass the need for a spouse visa. Whether you have a claim or not will depend on your family’s precise circumstances

pendledreams5 Oct 28th 2018 1:43 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12584105)
Italian bureaucracy is notorious but if you have a valid claim and you’re persistent then gaining an Italian passport would bypass the need for a spouse visa. Whether you have a claim or not will depend on your family’s precise circumstances

thank you for your responses! Do you know of any good websites where I could get more info on Italian citizenship?

BritInParis Oct 28th 2018 2:03 am

Originally Posted by pendledreams5 (Post 12584113)

thank you for your responses! Do you know of any good websites where I could get more info on Italian citizenship?

This one ;)

If you can give me a rundown of your family tree I can give you an assessment.

pendledreams5 Oct 28th 2018 3:55 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12584118)
This one ;)

If you can give me a rundown of your family tree I can give you an assessment.

ha! Ok, I just found out that my mom’s cousin got his Italian citizenship. My grandfathers (my mom’s dad) parents were both born in Italy and they immigrated to the US,
I’m assuming they retained their Italian citizenship. We have their birthplace (same village, Chiavenna, northern tip of Italy, very close to the Swiss border), I have birthdates too. My mom visited Italy and their village last year, got to meet a lot of cousins :) What other info should I gather?

BritInParis Oct 28th 2018 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by pendledreams5 (Post 12584135)

ha! Ok, I just found out that my mom’s cousin got his Italian citizenship. My grandfathers (my mom’s dad) parents were both born in Italy and they immigrated to the US,
I’m assuming they retained their Italian citizenship. We have their birthplace (same village, Chiavenna, northern tip of Italy, very close to the Swiss border), I have birthdates too. My mom visited Italy and their village last year, got to meet a lot of cousins :) What other info should I gather?

That bodes well.

Start here: https://ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/am...sanguinis.html

pendledreams5 Oct 28th 2018 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12584233)

thank you, thank you!
So if and when I get my Italian citizenship, how does that work for me living and working in the UK? Do I have easier access to things like the NHS, opening bank accounts, jobs? What kind of visa would I get? And would I still be eligible for permanent UK status and then British citizenship?
Thank you for answering all my questions, you have been very helpful!