Moving back timeline

Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

thinkingofhome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back timeline

Hi all,

Me (UK Citizen) and my OH (OZ citizen) are looking at moving back to the UK due to the high cost of living here in Australia. Could anyone offer any ideas on the timeframe it took you from planning to moving?

At the moment we need to:
  • Arrange OH's UK citizenship through descent
  • Save funds for shipping belongings (not too much to ship, books, photos etc)
  • Save funds for rental deposit
  • Save funds for flights
  • Save funds for furnishing rental property
  • Job hunting (hopefully from here in Oz)

Cheers
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back timeline

Originally Posted by thinkingofhome
Hi all,

Me (UK Citizen) and my OH (OZ citizen) are looking at moving back to the UK due to the high cost of living here in Australia. Could anyone offer any ideas on the timeframe it took you from planning to moving?

• Save funds for flights

Cheers
It is hard to say because everyone's circumstances are different. I tended to look at it in two phases, that is closing my life down in the country I was leaving and then establishing myself in the UK. Of course, with some issues, there is an overlap. There is a myriad of things to take care of from driving licenses to tax, transferring money, etc. Best to take everything as it comes rather than set yourselves deadlines otherwise your brain can explode.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

thinkingofhome is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks John,

I would like to know though the rough timescale that people take to make the move back home, it may not include saving the funds etc but ay tinframe is better than no timeframe.

Cheers
Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:55 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

• Save funds for flights

Cheers
unable to give u a reasonable response because so many of those in the list are variables only you can answer ...but.....
how long will it take to save the necessary funds as indicated ?
do you need to furnish with the latest and best on arrival?
will a basic start be good enough to allow you to build on over a few years ??
ISTR Ikea (yeah ok but) having a basic furniture package for new home. not the best but as above, enough to get you in and started.
do you have a place in mind and can you afford the rents for that area?

job hunting may take a long time, but may also escalate timescales causing problems as it is unlikely you will be able to get employer who will pay your removal expenses.
rgds
Dom

sri cant help further but maybe this is of some assitance.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
unable to give u a reasonable response because so many of those in the list are variables only you can answer ...but.....
how long will it take to save the necessary funds as indicated ?
do you need to furnish with the latest and best on arrival?
will a basic start be good enough to allow you to build on over a few years ??
ISTR Ikea (yeah ok but) having a basic furniture package for new home. not the best but as above, enough to get you in and started.
do you have a place in mind and can you afford the rents for that area?

job hunting may take a long time, but may also escalate timescales causing problems as it is unlikely you will be able to get employer who will pay your removal expenses.
rgds
Dom

sri cant help further but maybe this is of some assitance.
Taking any UK family considerations aside for one moment,

From my previous observations of posts from some recent-arrivals in the UK several seemed to think that with hindsight it was better to cover the work aspect first (i.e. Where the Jobs are for your skill-set) and consider reasonable transport links to that work, specific family needs (schools etc.) and the costs of local rents when plumping for any job offer when it comes along.

This as opposed to putting down roots first and then scouring that area for employment and possibly coming up empty-handed or dissatisfied with the outcome.

This of course means that one can be in transit for a while but ideally only having to worry about minimum baggage and possessions where only buying furniture when actually settled as opposed to having a 20ft container sitting somewhere.

Of course family connections need to be considered and hopefully the supply of jobs is not too far away from the preconceived idea of a desirable settling area.

Much depends upon individual priorities though and family may be priority A.

This same process of being in transit is likely to be adopted by older folk who will be retired but may need temporary digs while they scour their preferred pre-researched search areas for buying/renting fully intending that they will only move ONCE.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Aug 20th 2011 at 6:56 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Taking any UK family considerations aside for one moment,

From my previous observations of posts from some recent-arrivals in the UK several seemed to think that with hindsight it was better to cover the work aspect first (i.e. Where the Jobs are for your skill-set) and consider reasonable transport links to that work, specific family needs (schools etc.) and the costs of local rents when plumping for any job offer when it comes along.

This as opposed to putting down roots first and then scouring that area for employment and possibly coming up empty-handed or dissatisfied with the outcome.

This of course means that one can be in transit for a while but ideally only having to worry about minimum baggage and possessions where only buying furniture when actually settled as opposed to having a 20ft container sitting somewhere.

Of course family connections need to be considered and hopefully the supply of jobs is not too far away from the preconceived idea of a desirable settling area.

Much depends upon individual priorities though and family may be priority A.

This same process of being in transit is likely to be adopted by older folk who will be retired but may need temporary digs while they scour their preferred pre-researched search areas for buying/renting fully intending that they will only move ONCE.
could well be right Pete, when making up a timeline such as that what goes first what goes last, how many are running at the same time as others which will have a dependency on that item.
is only one person responsible for the lot or are their others, home and away who are contributing, even in a small way

and dependencies are not always family

just like sitting down and doing a series of tasks in Microsoft Project.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks John,

I would like to know though the rough timescale that people take to make the move back home, it may not include saving the funds etc but ay tinframe is better than no timeframe.

Cheers
For me it was 2 years.