Moving back to Scotland??????

Old Sep 19th 2016, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Ecoss555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to Scotland??????

Hi all. So glad to have come across this website and forum.

My USA wife....well, actually reconciled ex-wife and we are currently unmarried, REALLY wants to move back to Scotland. I have a huge family back there and now that it's just myself, her and our 12yr old son here in San Diego, I think she's feeling the itch to move back while we still can, and make a go of something different. She has been back twice before with me on vacation and I've also taken my son back when he was younger. They both love it back there and really love all my family.

I just don't know where to start with visas, passports, dual citizenship for my son etc. I've tried the old Google but I end up just confused and nursing a headache! Any advice, info, comments, stories, jokes......anything.....would be so very much appreciated.

Ta much :thumbsup:

Last edited by Ecoss555; Sep 19th 2016 at 9:55 am.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 9:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Scotland??????

Hi, welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread to the Moving Back to the UK visa section, which is for those wanting to move family to the UK.

You don't specifically mention it, but I assume you are a UK citizen?

You'll get loads of good advice here on how to get your wife a visa and son a passport, the good folks with the right knowledge will be along shortly I'm sure.

Best of luck with it.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Ah, thank you. Apologies for posting in the wrong section. Thank you for adjusting.

Yes, I am a UK citizen, born in Scotland. Moved to the US when I was 15 yrs old. I also got my US citizenship back in 2000. So I have both a US and UK passport, although both have expired unfortunately. My wife and son are both US Citizens, although I figured my son would have dual nationality/citizenship?

Again, any insight would be so greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 10:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well first, to state the obvious, you will need to remarry for your ex-wife to be eligible for a visa. .... Then there are the usual income and/or assets issues regarding the hurdles to get your wife a visa.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Your son is British. Get him a passport. Renew your own UK passport. If you have oodles in the bank you can get a visa for wife following the SAVINGS ROUTE. Other wise you need a job - paying £18,600 a year. Easy in London. Not so easy if you are in rural or island Scotland !
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecoss555

Yes, I am a UK citizen, born in Scotland. Moved to the US when I was 15 yrs old. I also got my US citizenship back in 2000. So I have both a US and UK passport, although both have expired unfortunately.
The OP should consider to renew his British passport given the current favorable exchange rate. You will need to apply on line using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well first, to state the obvious, you will need to remarry for your ex-wife to be eligible for a visa. .... Then there are the usual income and/or assets issues regarding the hurdles to get your wife a visa.
The OP's ex-wife can still qualifies for an UK spouse visa if they 'living together in a relationship for two year'. Please see link below -

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility
Old Sep 19th 2016, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, we have been living together for over 5 years now. Thanks for the link.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 6:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
The OP's ex-wife can still qualifies for an UK spouse visa if they 'living together in a relationship for two year'. .....
I forgot about that, you are correct.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's ex-wife can still qualifies for an UK spouse visa if they 'living together in a relationship for two year'. Please see link below -

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility
Yeah, we have been living together for over 5 years now. Thanks for the link.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
I forgot about that, you are correct.
Technically correct but if you remarry it will make the application process much smoother for you. Applying for a spouse/partner visa for your ex-wife will look very strange to an ECO. Better to remarry, even if it's just popping down to the registry office (or the US equivalent).

Your order of priority should be:

1. Remarry.
2. Valid US passports all round.
3. Valid British passports for yourself and your son.
4. Consider consular birth registration for your son.
5. Check the requirements for your wife's spouse visa, particularly the financial requirements, and plan the best strategy based on your circumstances.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just don't know where to start with visas, passports, dual citizenship for my son etc. I've tried the old Google but I end up just confused and nursing a headache! Any advice, info, comments, stories, jokes......anything.....would be so very much appreciated.
You may also find it helpful if you register your son's birth with the GRO. This will give your son a British style birth certificate and a certify copy can be obtain with ease in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

You also wish to think about opening UK bank accounts in the US for members of your family before returning to the UK. HSBC in the US offers this service, please see link below -

https://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/home/per...banking-center

The only disadvantage of HSBC in the OP's case is the small number of branches it has in Scotland. As far as I know, HSBC only has one branch in the whole of Glasgow. What I would suggest is that the OP and his family can open HSBC UK bank accounts in the US first, then moved to any banks once they found their feet in Scotland.

Once your wife arrives in the UK, she should try and obtain a National Insurance (NI) Number as soon as possible. This is because if she wishes to work in the UK, most employers will ask for your NI Number.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Old Sep 20th 2016, 12:09 am

.... This is because if she wishes to work in the UK, most employers will ask for your NI Number. .....
Unless she is working illegally cash-in-hand, all employers will ask for your NI number because, just like the US SSN, income tax records are indexed using your NI number.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 12:26 am
Just Joined

She won't be working illegally. She's an certified accountant/auditor here in the US, so, she won't be doing that kinda thing! Lol
Old Sep 20th 2016, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

She won't be working illegally. She's an certified accountant/auditor here in the US, so, she won't be doing that kinda thing! Lol
The OP's ex-wife / partner may find the link below useful.

https://www.icas.com/education-and-q...-accountant-ca