Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Moving back with Malaysian spouse - I think I'm filling in the wrong form

Moving back with Malaysian spouse - I think I'm filling in the wrong form

Old Mar 18th 2018, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

THEALB10N is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back with Malaysian spouse - I think I'm filling in the wrong form

Hi there.

My parents (British father and Malaysian mother) are planning on moving to the UK this year to be closer to family. They've been married for almost 30 years, and did live in the UK for 5 years in the 90s shortly after marriage, but have been based in Malaysia since the late 90s.

We're pretty sure they want to apply for a spouse visa for my mother. My parents will be fine meeting the financial requirements. The savings route probably will be simpler as they have the cash, although my father is being transferred to the UK office of his employer so the income route would work too.

We are struggling to figure out what the correct forms are to apply for though. They've set up an account on this site:
ht tps://w ww.visa4uk.fco.g ov.uk/home/welcome

They've filled in the details asked of them on there and have submitted but they haven't been asked any financial info at all. They are at the stage where they need to book an appointment to submit biometric information.

Are we doing this wrong? Surely we need to be giving financial info/marriage info etc. All they've had to fill in so far are basic details on her sponsor, children, travel history etc.

Any advice would be really appreciated as they've already filled in the wrong form once (applied for a returning resident visa) and been rejected. We're really worried about applying for the wrong one again and having serious issues entering the country again (my mother was interrogated and almost denied entry a few months back because of the failed visa application).

Thank you kindly!
Old Mar 18th 2018, 1:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back with Malaysian spouse - I think I'm filling in the wrong form

Settlement>Settlement>Wife is the correct option to select on the dropdown menus. When you do so a link to Appendix 2 will appear which your parents will need to complete to state how they intend to meet the financial requirements. Here it is for ease:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-Appendix2.pdf
Old Mar 18th 2018, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving back with Malaysian spouse - I think I'm filling in the wrong form

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Settlement>Settlement>Wife is the correct option to select on the dropdown menus. When you do so a link to Appendix 2 will appear which your parents will need to complete to state how they intend to meet the financial requirements. Here it is for ease:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-Appendix2.pdf
Thanks for this, yes I believe they have filled in the Settlement>Settlement>Wife section.

For appendix 2, is this something they need to fill in on paper or through the website? If it's on paper, at what stage do they upload it?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 3:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THEALB10N
Thanks for this, yes I believe they have filled in the Settlement>Settlement>Wife section.

For appendix 2, is this something they need to fill in on paper or through the website? If it's on paper, at what stage do they upload it?

Thanks again.
You complete it on paper and submit it with the rest of the supporting documents when your mother goes for her biometrics appointment.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

You complete it on paper and submit it with the rest of the supporting documents when your mother goes for her biometrics appointment.
Great, thanks you so much for your help.

The other supporting documents she needs, is there a list of what specifically is needed for a spouse visa other than the Appendix 2?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

What is the difference between applying, say, for a spousal visa or following the process in the link (i.e. Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country)? Or is the information in the link just generic information?

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...d/index_en.htm
Old Mar 18th 2018, 5:48 pm

Great, thanks you so much for your help.

The other supporting documents she needs, is there a list of what specifically is needed for a spouse visa other than the Appendix 2?
That will vary depending on your individual circumstances. If you take a look at this subforum you will find several lists that people have prepared for review that could serve as a starting point for your mother's.

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
What is the difference between applying, say, for a spousal visa or following the process in the link (i.e. Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country)? Or is the information in the link just generic information?

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...d/index_en.htm
That's if you move to another EU country, e.g. not the UK, with your non-EU spouse. Family members of British citizens generally do not have freedom of movement rights in the UK.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

That will vary depending on your individual circumstances. If you take a look at this subforum you will find several lists that people have prepared for review that could serve as a starting point for your mother's.
Thanks BritInParis.

I think I've got all the documents worked out which we need.

- Passport
- Photo
- Marriage cert
- TB cert
- Financial proof docs
- Dad's British passport
- Wedding photos
- Cover letter
- English proficiency proof??

The only one that I'm confused on is the proof that she can speak English. As a Malaysian the rules seem to state that she'd need to take a test to prove her English (she is fluent), but on the following site it seems to suggest this isn't needed if she will live with my father (which she will):

htt ps://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-part-8-family-members

Under heading 281:
Or

__(b)(i) the applicant is married to or the civil partner of a person who has a right of abode in the United Kingdom or indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom and is on the same occasion seeking admission to the United Kingdom for the purposes of settlement and the parties were married or formed a civil partnership at least 4 years ago, since which time they have been living together outside the United Kingdom; and
__(b)(ii) the applicant has demonstrated sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, in accordance with Appendix KoLL; and
__(b)(iii) DELETED
(ii) the parties to the marriage or civil partnership have met; and
(iii) each of the parties intends to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse or civil partner and the marriage or civil partnership is subsisting; and
(iv) there will be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively; and
(v) the parties will be able to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and
(vi) the applicant holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity; and
(vii) the applicant does not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal.

I'm so confused. Does this mean that she doesn't have to take a test to prove English proficiency? If she does need to take the test things are going to get tight time-wise as they need to keep her passport for the whole application time, is that right?

Thanks again for taking the time to help with this, it really is appreciated and I'd be completely lost without the advice.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Invisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond repute

If she is below the age of 65 then she will need an English test certificate.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 11:43 pm

Just send a photocopy of your father's passport, not the original. I would also include your mother's birth certificate.

Your mother will need to fulfil the English language requirement unless she is exempt, e.g. over 65. If she doesn't possess a university degree taught in the English language then she need to sit an IELTS exam.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/knowledge-of-english
Old Mar 19th 2018, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

you also need proof of accommodation in the UK
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your help so far.

I have 2 further questions:

1) We've paid all the fees online now. For some reason they wanted payment in USD. Does this sound right? (It was a little under USD 3,000 for the priority application + health fees).

2) My parents went to the biometric appointment today and brought all their supporting documentation. They were initially told that all their supporting documents (a thick folder-full) would need to be scanned and sent electronically. After questioning this they were told that they could choose to post all the documentation, but they would have to do this themselves.

They have opted to post the documentation in the folder themselves. The staff didn't have the address in Sheffield on them so they also need to find this themselves.

Is this the usual process (posting documentation yourself) or does this all sound a bit odd? Also does anyone have the address they need to post it to?

Many thanks once again :-)
Old Apr 17th 2018, 12:33 pm

1) We've paid all the fees online now. For some reason they wanted payment in USD. Does this sound right? (It was a little under USD 3,000 for the priority application + health fees).
It does.

https://visa-fees.homeoffice.gov.uk/...settled-person

2) My parents went to the biometric appointment today and brought all their supporting documentation. They were initially told that all their supporting documents (a thick folder-full) would need to be scanned and sent electronically. After questioning this they were told that they could choose to post all the documentation, but they would have to do this themselves.

They have opted to post the documentation in the folder themselves. The staff didn't have the address in Sheffield on them so they also need to find this themselves.

Is this the usual process (posting documentation yourself) or does this all sound a bit odd? Also does anyone have the address they need to post it to?

That's normal. The postal address you want is:

Settlement Applications
International Operations and Visas
PO Box 5852
SHEFFIELD
S11 0FX
UNITED KINGDOM

If you are sending by courier who needs a physical address then you should send to:

Settlement Applications
International Operations and Visas
Vulcan House
6 Millsands
SHEFFIELD
S3 8NU
UNITED KINGDOM

If you are paying priority then you should clearly label the outside of the envelope with the word PRIORITY, preferably with a thick black marker pen to ensure it is sorted correctly.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Thank you kindly BritInParis, you're a lifesaver not only to me but to most people on this sub-forum by the looks of things! I truly appreciate you taking the time. :-)
Old Apr 18th 2018, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Katy78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, the fees sound right. I aplied in Malaysia last month and paid in USD.

I had my documents scanned and sent as it's easier and safer. Then I got my originals back straight away (except passport of course). Did they keep your parents' passports?
The Malaysian office really needs to update their website. No photos at all were needed, but I didn't discover this until I arrived.