Moving back to Essex after 6 years in Canada

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Essex after 6 years in Canada

Originally Posted by goner4200000
Hi

I have just accepted a job offer to return to the UK after 6 years in Ottawa, Canada. We have our house on the market and hope to be back by March 2010.

We are looking to move to the Chelmsford area and would be interested to hear from any expats who have made a similar move back in the past year or so to get your thoughts on how you have settled back into UK life etc ( or not as the case might be).

Finding a school with places in Chelmsford is our biggest challenge to date.

Although we initially liked the novelty of a big house, wide open spaces etc, skiing, kids playing hockey in the street etc, I have found Canada to be very old fashioned,bureacratic, very expensive for day to day living, overtaxed and dare I say it mundane compared to the UK life we had before. I find we have way less money in our pocket than back in the UK, yet i actually earn more here! Both my kids are in top end competitive sport and it is literally crippling us financially with all the costs and travel involved.

Would love to hear from anyone who has moved back or thinking about it at present etc.
Dear Goner

We have been thinking about it seriously for the last 4 months and will likely be making a decision in the next 6 months.

Its tough but sometimes you have to draw a line under something and say well at least we tried it!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:09 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shelley748
Dear Goner

We have been thinking about it seriously for the last 4 months and will likely be making a decision in the next 6 months.

Its tough but sometimes you have to draw a line under something and say well at least we tried it!
Hi Shelly and co, phew...now the bullets have stopped flying and it 'appears' safe I thought I'd drop a line. I'm too pregnant and sensitive to deal with insults from ignorant people and patronizing jabs from others so here goes! You can give me a hell but my hormones might write back...not me.

My husband is in IT and works for a big company BUT he is underpaid for his skills and receives terrible AL but that's just North America I guess. He works with good friends so that is his only sanity but the corporate culture is stifling his abilities. We're going home (God willing in 2010 or I'll be learning to tie a noose) as I think as some have mentioned, you can do better in the uk if you are talented, hard working and driven. There is naturally so much more variety and scope in all sectors back home and our experience here is lovely place to visit but its too small and often a closed (and often heavily unionised) shop.

BC is beautiful but it is murdering our careers. Hopefully things will work out better at home...they actually couldn't be worse!!!

I feel for your hubby too as it is a blow to your self esteem when work is difficult to find. Tell the poor bugger to hang in there (sans noose)...apparently there's tons of contract work in London.....A good friend of mine said there is always a calling for IT stuff and has had no problems getting work throughout the recession. Get hubby to do some microsoft courses or something to make him more current maybe and give him a boost???

I too have lost confidence but I'm going to take the experience and try and learn from it. I have had some great teaching experiences here with some wonderful kids that I can take home with me but if I stay any longer I feel I could become unemployable. At home we will have a VARIETY of towns and cities to apply to therefore way more jobs AND remain in our home rather than upping and moving every time a job comes along which is often the case here simply due to the huge distances between places.

I don't, can't, won't relocate again...start all over making friends (often not easy).....blah......can't wait to get back. I'll take England warts and all right now! Although I came here on holiday and never left so I never really left intentionally. It was the holiday that got out of hand.....2 weeks holiday....marriage, kids, 7 years later..mmmmm.....time to go home.

Happy New Year to you and keep your chins up. You'll be laughing down the pub in no time!

Last edited by lilybilly101; Jan 4th 2010 at 8:12 am.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:20 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
What ARE you wittering on about?????

Bloody hell...where do u live? Peckham?

I have been back in Essex since April (not too far from where Sally comes from) My grandaughters have had no issues going to a good school.
We are not overrun with immigrants, in fact theres very few!! Theres no "tension" as you put it anywhere near here.
Just because u choose to live in a pighole, dont tar the whole country with the same brush
It pisses me off when idiots come on here slagging it off as if their little world paints a picture of the entire country.
One good thing about Britain is the huge diversity within itself depending on the region/ area you choose to live
Well said
Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:44 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lilybilly101

You'll be laughing down the pub in no time!

Oh what a lovely thought. I so missing laughing down the pub.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Stop shouting and getting over excited, you'll blow your turban off

I dont agree with what the rude person posted, but no need to offend others?!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

jan the piglet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
OK.. a toupee then

I dont need a giro pauper.. i am a kept woman

Oh..and i dont smoke
I have read your postings to that scumbag Slumdog Pauper and while it has been entertaining it's also perpetuating the immature Pauper's responses.
Just block him, don't let him affect you and have a nice day.
Everyone's got an opinion like everyone's got an asshole, you don't want to see everyone's asshole now do you?
All the best for 2010 Jan
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:38 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR79
Stop shouting and getting over excited, you'll blow your turban off

I dont agree with what the rude person posted, but no need to offend others?!
offend who??? pmsl
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:40 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan the piglet
I have read your postings to that scumbag Slumdog Pauper and while it has been entertaining it's also perpetuating the immature Pauper's responses.
Just block him, don't let him affect you and have a nice day.
Everyone's got an opinion like everyone's got an asshole, you don't want to see everyone's asshole now do you?
All the best for 2010 Jan
Oh i dont know... i could become an expert on assholes then couldnt i?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

some one who wears a turban.....

even though this is britishexpats, im sure not all posters are white....
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:49 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by MR79
some one who wears a turban.....

even though this is britishexpats, im sure not all posters are white....
And if i said to calm down or you'll blow your hat off would that also be offensive?
The guy calls himself slumdog pauper as a play on the Indian movie is that offensive too??

Geez... are u related this this bloke?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/8437658.stm
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

no not related....

why did you post the link to that story?!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:58 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Enough already, the guys posts were removed.

Lets get back on topic again, rather than discuss posters please.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:03 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by iaink
Enough already, the guys posts were removed.

Lets get back on topic again, rather than discuss posters please.
Totally agree thank you
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Hi Shelly and co, phew...now the bullets have stopped flying and it 'appears' safe I thought I'd drop a line. I'm too pregnant and sensitive to deal with insults from ignorant people and patronizing jabs from others so here goes! You can give me a hell but my hormones might write back...not me.

My husband is in IT and works for a big company BUT he is underpaid for his skills and receives terrible AL but that's just North America I guess. He works with good friends so that is his only sanity but the corporate culture is stifling his abilities. We're going home (God willing in 2010 or I'll be learning to tie a noose) as I think as some have mentioned, you can do better in the uk if you are talented, hard working and driven. There is naturally so much more variety and scope in all sectors back home and our experience here is lovely place to visit but its too small and often a closed (and often heavily unionised) shop.

BC is beautiful but it is murdering our careers. Hopefully things will work out better at home...they actually couldn't be worse!!!

I feel for your hubby too as it is a blow to your self esteem when work is difficult to find. Tell the poor bugger to hang in there (sans noose)...apparently there's tons of contract work in London.....A good friend of mine said there is always a calling for IT stuff and has had no problems getting work throughout the recession. Get hubby to do some microsoft courses or something to make him more current maybe and give him a boost???

I too have lost confidence but I'm going to take the experience and try and learn from it. I have had some great teaching experiences here with some wonderful kids that I can take home with me but if I stay any longer I feel I could become unemployable. At home we will have a VARIETY of towns and cities to apply to therefore way more jobs AND remain in our home rather than upping and moving every time a job comes along which is often the case here simply due to the huge distances between places.

I don't, can't, won't relocate again...start all over making friends (often not easy).....blah......can't wait to get back. I'll take England warts and all right now! Although I came here on holiday and never left so I never really left intentionally. It was the holiday that got out of hand.....2 weeks holiday....marriage, kids, 7 years later..mmmmm.....time to go home.

Happy New Year to you and keep your chins up. You'll be laughing down the pub in no time!
Thanks Lillybilly- thats a few things to think about for sure!!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

essexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by goner4200000
Hi

I have just accepted a job offer to return to the UK after 6 years in Ottawa, Canada. We have our house on the market and hope to be back by March 2010.

We are looking to move to the Chelmsford area and would be interested to hear from any expats who have made a similar move back in the past year or so to get your thoughts on how you have settled back into UK life etc ( or not as the case might be).

Finding a school with places in Chelmsford is our biggest challenge to date.

Although we initially liked the novelty of a big house, wide open spaces etc, skiing, kids playing hockey in the street etc, I have found Canada to be very old fashioned,bureacratic, very expensive for day to day living, overtaxed and dare I say it mundane compared to the UK life we had before. I find we have way less money in our pocket than back in the UK, yet i actually earn more here! Both my kids are in top end competitive sport and it is literally crippling us financially with all the costs and travel involved.

Would love to hear from anyone who has moved back or thinking about it at present etc.
If you want to find out more about Chelmsford, Essex then check out http://theedgemag.co.uk/
It's there local town magazine of whats going on, business, food, drink etc. Might be useful.
I used to live in Chelmsford and around the area. Miss the night life. Good shopping high st and restaurants etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.