Moving back to Essex after 6 years in Canada

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 2:48 am
Just Joined

goner4200000 will become famous soon enoughgoner4200000 will become famous soon enough
Default Moving back to Essex after 6 years in Canada

Hi

I have just accepted a job offer to return to the UK after 6 years in Ottawa, Canada. We have our house on the market and hope to be back by March 2010.

We are looking to move to the Chelmsford area and would be interested to hear from any expats who have made a similar move back in the past year or so to get your thoughts on how you have settled back into UK life etc ( or not as the case might be).

Finding a school with places in Chelmsford is our biggest challenge to date.

Although we initially liked the novelty of a big house, wide open spaces etc, skiing, kids playing hockey in the street etc, I have found Canada to be very old fashioned,bureacratic, very expensive for day to day living, overtaxed and dare I say it mundane compared to the UK life we had before. I find we have way less money in our pocket than back in the UK, yet i actually earn more here! Both my kids are in top end competitive sport and it is literally crippling us financially with all the costs and travel involved.

Would love to hear from anyone who has moved back or thinking about it at present etc.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 6:11 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to Essex after 6 years in Canada

Originally Posted by goner4200000
Hi

I have just accepted a job offer to return to the UK after 6 years in Ottawa, Canada. We have our house on the market and hope to be back by March 2010.

We are looking to move to the Chelmsford area and would be interested to hear from any expats who have made a similar move back in the past year or so to get your thoughts on how you have settled back into UK life etc ( or not as the case might be).

Although we initially liked the novelty of a big house, wide open spaces etc, skiing, kids playing hockey in the street etc, I have found Canada to be very old fashioned,bureacratic, very expensive for day to day living, overtaxed and dare I say it mundane compared to the UK life we had before. I find we have way less money in our pocket than back in the UK, yet i actually earn more here! Both my kids are in top end competitive sport and it is literally crippling us financially with all the costs and travel involved.

Would love to hear from anyone who has moved back or thinking about it at present etc.
Hi there,
I'm on Vancouver Island and planning on a move back this year. I too have it expensive here but mainly due to low waes or struggle to get a job at all. We're mving back to Warwickshire and I hope I'll get work as a teacher fairly quickly. My hubby will stay home with our new baby while he learns to drive on the left! It's going to be a crazy year but I can't wait. I find it beautiful but terribly limited here in terms of things to do. If I was obsessed with mountain biking, skiing and/or trekking I'd be in heaven but I/we are not and so, so miss 'old stuff', art galleries, good pubs, humour......it goes on. We're also painfully aware of what we're going to....traffic, much faster pace of life....it'll be a tricky transition I'm sure but we're hopful we'll be happier. Anyway, I can't stand wondering anymore and just need to DO IT. Keep me posted on your journey and good luck.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:14 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I have found Canada to be very old fashioned,bureacratic, very expensive for day to day living, overtaxed and dare I say it mundane compared to the UK life we had before. I find we have way less money in our pocket than back in the UK, yet i actually earn more here! Both my kids are in top end competitive sport and it is literally crippling us financially with all the costs and travel involved.

We came back last year and share some of your opinions. However, I wonder how your kids are going to feel about losing their sports. If you need to move for work, then that's it, but I'd think they'd feel the wrench of that and maybe expect to get into something similar here, which would be as expensive?

I'm not sure I'd agree that taxes and general cost of living is less here. We find quite a lot of things are pounds for dollars still, especially electricals, even taking into it that the VAT is in the price here instead of the taxes being added after as in Canada. You can bring back low energy things like computers and use a transformer -- or is it adaptor? -- to run of the electricity here. We brought our computers, monitors and some other things.

I've been meaning to do some price comparisons for my own curiosity, so here they are, comparing a Loblaw's flyer with Sainsburies on line. The flyer is specials, but it usually gives the regular price, too. Also checked the Thrifty's flyer, and they're not the cheapest place to shop. And Fairways, which is generally good prices. http://www.fairwaymarkets.com/flyer.htm

Thrifty's flyer is here.
http://www.thriftyfoods.com/eflyer/i...102-page1.html

The current exchange rate is about $1.70 to the pound, but realistically not so good.

Mature cheddar cheese, probably $20 a kg (9 pounds a kg)

Edam $22 a kg (5 pounds kg)

Campbell’s condensed soup/ soupe condensée Campbell’s
tomato, vegetable, cream of mushroom or chicken noodle 284 mL/ tomates, légumes, crème de champignons ou poulet et nouilles $0.59 save $0.38
(295 48p)

Maple Leaf bacon/ bacon Maple Leaf
selected varieties 500 g/ certaines variétés multi BUY 2/ $6.00
(about 5 pound for 1k)

premium strawberries 454 g/ fraises de qualité supérieure 454 g
fresh product of U.S.A., blueberries 170 g fresh product of Chile or blackberries 340 g fresh product of Mexico/ produit frais des É.-U., bleuets 170 g produit frais du Chili ou mûres 340 g produit frais du Mexique multi BUY 2/ $5.00 (about 6 pounds)

lean ground pork $2.49 lb / 5.49/kg
(4 pounds kg)

large Romaine, red or green leaf lettuce fresh product of U.S.A. $1.29 each
(about 1 pound, but I find lettuce smaller here.)

Tomatoes on the vine $2 lb
(1.78 pound kg for not as good.)

Ziggy's® cooked ham
extra lean deli sliced or pre-packaged $0.79 /100 g save over $0.15/100 g
(for basic ham 1.20 100g)

Heinz ketchup selected varieties 750 mL/1 L $3.29 save $0.70 (700g 2.18)

Kellogg's Mini WheatSpecial K or All Bran family or Jumbo pack selected varieties 625g-1.1kg $4.99 was $6.49
(Sainsburies 1.99 for 500 g all Bran 2.49 750g)

Sensodyne toothpaste 75-100 mL or premium toothbrushes
selected varieties $3.99 after savings save $0.70 or more
(3.19 pounds)

Clover Leaf white tuna/ thon blanc Clover Leaf
solid, chunk or flaked in water 170 g/ entier, morceaux ou émietté dans l'eau $1.99 save $0.30 (200g 95p)

Heinz beans or pasta/ haricots ou pâtes Heinz
selected varieties 398 mL/ certaines variétés $0.89 save $0.38
(Not exact equivalent, but about 50p)

Obviously too much time on my hands, but it is interesting. Any comments from those on either side, or moving back and forth?

Bev
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

goner4200000 will become famous soon enoughgoner4200000 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the info, that's really helpful. Vancouver Island does look beautiful, we considered moving there too at one stage.

Sports wise the kids are fine for the UK, one will be joining a pro football academy and the other a Triathlon club. It will save us close to $20k a year at present all things considered and far better organised/structured, so they will be happy!

I have been very disappointed with schools here, reading/writing/maths wise both of our boys have slipped behind the UK levels, spelling not being corrected and too laid back for my liking ( mind you they themselves are not complaining). University costs are also very expensive, unless lucky enough to get a full scholarship. Agreed electrical stuff is cheaper here than UK, petrol ( albeit we can do 1000km in a weekend for a tournament) too.

Ottawa is a bi-lingual city and we made the mistake of not putting the kids in french immersion when we first arrived. Getting a good job in this city especially with the government who is the major employer is very tricky without speaking French. I do believe future employment prospects are limited here compared to the UK for when the boys grow up, notwithstanding the present recession.

Keep me posted on the move back from Van island and best of luck

Mark
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

jan the piglet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

we've been here almost 5 years and can't wait to return to the Lake District or Scottish borders this summer. Just going out for a leisurely drive and looking down from a hill to the sea shore etc or walking around a cute English village even in the rain.
I agree with you about mundane and old-fashioned Canada and worse education here.
We have a 60 yr old friend who came here from Austria, she's an SRN nurse and her skills aren't recognised here so basically she's just a ward-orderly and being managed by young girls with much less experience yet we were told that Canada's crying out for skilled workers. The nurse wants to return to Austria but her husband can't for whatever reason and I'm damn sure I don't want to get to 60 and be "stuck".
We don't feel defeated by emigrating, we feel that it has given us an experience that most people can only dream of and we have been very lucky to have had that opportunity but a large house and open (boring) spaces isn't the be all and end all.
We can't stand the flyers that come twice a week promoting cheaper strawberries/ketchup etc - if you need something go and buy it but don't make a flyer dictate you rushing to a certain store!!!!!!!! I suppose there are enough trees in Canada to keep producing the silly pamphlets.
Hope your move goes well, all the best
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:28 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jan the piglet
we've been here almost 5 years and can't wait to return to the Lake District or Scottish borders this summer. Just going out for a leisurely drive and looking down from a hill to the sea shore etc or walking around a cute English village even in the rain.
I agree with you about mundane and old-fashioned Canada and worse education here.
We have a 60 yr old friend who came here from Austria, she's an SRN nurse and her skills aren't recognised here so basically she's just a ward-orderly and being managed by young girls with much less experience yet we were told that Canada's crying out for skilled workers. The nurse wants to return to Austria but her husband can't for whatever reason and I'm damn sure I don't want to get to 60 and be "stuck".
We don't feel defeated by emigrating, we feel that it has given us an experience that most people can only dream of and we have been very lucky to have had that opportunity but a large house and open (boring) spaces isn't the be all and end all.
We can't stand the flyers that come twice a week promoting cheaper strawberries/ketchup etc - if you need something go and buy it but don't make a flyer dictate you rushing to a certain store!!!!!!!! I suppose there are enough trees in Canada to keep producing the silly pamphlets.
Hope your move goes well, all the best
BLOODY FLYERS....THEY MAKE UP MOST OF MY RECYCLING! We have two local papers here in the eco conscious Valley and they come twice weekly. Bugger all ever happens so there's very little news other than articles on how beautiful it is.....bizarre.

And the thought of being here at 50...60.....brings on suicidal thoughts!!!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:31 pm
Lost in Space

Thanks for all the info, that's really helpful. Vancouver Island does look beautiful, we considered moving there too at one stage.

Sports wise the kids are fine for the UK, one will be joining a pro football academy and the other a Triathlon club. It will save us close to $20k a year at present all things considered and far better organised/structured, so they will be happy!

I have been very disappointed with schools here, reading/writing/maths wise both of our boys have slipped behind the UK levels, spelling not being corrected and too laid back for my liking ( mind you they themselves are not complaining). University costs are also very expensive, unless lucky enough to get a full scholarship. Agreed electrical stuff is cheaper here than UK, petrol ( albeit we can do 1000km in a weekend for a tournament) too.

Ottawa is a bi-lingual city and we made the mistake of not putting the kids in french immersion when we first arrived. Getting a good job in this city especially with the government who is the major employer is very tricky without speaking French. I do believe future employment prospects are limited here compared to the UK for when the boys grow up, notwithstanding the present recession.

Keep me posted on the move back from Van island and best of luck

Mark
Bloody awful education system. I've worked in it an it is worse than one might think.....in my local area....Comox Valley....terrible wastes of money, chronic under funding, asbestos ceilings, mouldy portables, unmotivated staff waiting to retire. Seniority is a crime to the children and their parents. Can't wait to go home and get a job because I'll be GOOD at it rather than owed it!

Your kids sporting achievements sound fantastic and it's great they'll be able to pursue than at a more reasonable cost back home. You might then be able to afford the odd trip away!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SlumdogPauper
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Things here are going to decay,and a lot of tensions within different sectors of communities are not making things easier.The people who were born here are dismayed,quite rightly too, they lack incentives,the young are roaming the streets knifing innocent people for apparently no reason,Immigration is out of control,and the only industry that seem's to be flourishing is the car clamping,parking tickets,dustbin taxes,the biggest and largest spy cameras network in the World-need I carry on..sorry I don't like to be the messenger of doom and gloom and I expect "some politically" correct threader to throw a barrage of abuse-[ALL PREPARED] BUT I AM TELLING YOU THINGS ..AS I SEE THEM..AS THEY ARE!
What a load of hysterical bollocks.

Ignore idiotic posts such as the above.

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 2nd 2010 at 11:21 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

goner42000000..in answer to your question

I cant wait to get back mainly for family,friends, travel and things to do.
I really dont care anymore about the big house with the new IKEA kitchen and swimming pool nor how near I am to any large mountains... for the people I would wish to share it with are not here so its all meaningless for me.

I have had my house on the market since October..didn't think it would move til Spring and so far I have not been disappointed

It really does not matter to me about price of food etc., since the other longings have long since taken precedence over all things Canadian..I will just make do ...yes I will forage the local markets and make from scratch if I have to...come to think of it I used to enjoy the row market, the rag market and the shouting traders and the lights on the stalls at Christmastime

I have tried living in different areas... it has not helped..Mb., BC., Ab ... No, its all about something else...I tried it out in UK in 2000 for 6 months and felt ok about settling so I know I can do it again...I just wish I had never left..

Here are my reasons to move back after 35yrs and I think I have given it a good shot;

Apart from not wanting to die here ..just don't feel like I belong ..just feel like I am part of someone else's culture ..activities I look for are abundant back home and absent here...
Winters too long and the temps so cold to sit through anymore..-41c with the wind today...heating bills way too high now ..not as bad in terms of percentage of income 35yrs ago..used to play out in winter but can no longer do it..lack of decent markets, only one of each cultural item ie; one art gallery, one museum, and been there so many times ..

I flew to Victoria once for the Leonardo Da Vinci exhibit which had 5 stops around the globe and after the huge cost to get there and for hotel....every item in the exhibit was a copy....

There are four distinct seasons I was told in Canada when I first came in 1975

..but they didn't say one of them was 7-8months long and the others include flash flooding in your basement, then mosquitoes, black flies, wasps in August and September with a brief respite in October to catch your breath before you start battening down the hatches for the snows.

I am tired of racing home from work to "get in" ( don't forget to plug the car in) and then sit back and watch another CBC TV announcer receive a political award or even earn representative of the head of state for the country....what's up with that?

No....at one time it was all a novelty but now its all become old hat...some days at work I leaf through the Wednesday flyers and see the same items with a new colour that I saw in the same flyer 35yrs ago...my eyes open and shut mechanically and I say to myself ..."self ...it's time to blow this popsical stand"

but then that's just me
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:33 am
Account Closed

jan the piglet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Relocateme
goner42000000..in answer to your question

I cant wait to get back mainly for family,friends, travel and things to do.
I really dont care anymore about the big house with the new IKEA kitchen and swimming pool nor how near I am to any large mountains... for the people I would wish to share it with are not here so its all meaningless for me.

I have had my house on the market since October..didn't think it would move til Spring and so far I have not been disappointed

It really does not matter to me about price of food etc., since the other longings have long since taken precedence over all things Canadian..I will just make do ...yes I will forage the local markets and make from scratch if I have to...come to think of it I used to enjoy the row market, the rag market and the shouting traders and the lights on the stalls at Christmastime

I have tried living in different areas... it has not helped..Mb., BC., Ab ... No, its all about something else...I tried it out in UK in 2000 for 6 months and felt ok about settling so I know I can do it again...I just wish I had never left..

Here are my reasons to move back after 35yrs and I think I have given it a good shot;

Apart from not wanting to die here ..just don't feel like I belong ..just feel like I am part of someone else's culture ..activities I look for are abundant back home and absent here...
Winters too long and the temps so cold to sit through anymore..-41c with the wind today...heating bills way too high now ..not as bad in terms of percentage of income 35yrs ago..used to play out in winter but can no longer do it..lack of decent markets, only one of each cultural item ie; one art gallery, one museum, and been there so many times ..

I flew to Victoria once for the Leonardo Da Vinci exhibit which had 5 stops around the globe and after the huge cost to get there and for hotel....every item in the exhibit was a copy....

There are four distinct seasons I was told in Canada when I first came in 1975

..but they didn't say one of them was 7-8months long and the others include flash flooding in your basement, then mosquitoes, black flies, wasps in August and September with a brief respite in October to catch your breath before you start battening down the hatches for the snows.

I am tired of racing home from work to "get in" ( don't forget to plug the car in) and then sit back and watch another CBC TV announcer receive a political award or even earn representative of the head of state for the country....what's up with that?

No....at one time it was all a novelty but now its all become old hat...some days at work I leaf through the Wednesday flyers and see the same items with a new colour that I saw in the same flyer 35yrs ago...my eyes open and shut mechanically and I say to myself ..."self ...it's time to blow this popsical stand"

but then that's just me
I must be a true blue Brit too - it's in us
you can take the girl out of Britain but
you can't take Britain out of the girl!

(if you die here in the winter you can't be buried until the thaw - fancy putting friends and family through 2 lots of grieving. Ridiculous.
take care
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
What a load of hysterical bollocks.

Ignore idiotic posts such as the above.
Ooooops ....there goes your reputation beyond repute
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:22 am
Just Joined

LOL Some excellent comments folks keep it up, it's making me feel alot happier to know others are thinking the same.

In response to one of the posts I have been back to the UK 3x in the past year. I appreciate teenage Knife crime is an issue in the UK,especially London but having worked in front line law enforcement for nearly 20 years, nowhere is perfect and Canadian cities have huge underlying ssues of their own with drug/Knife/Gun crime.

I look at the past 6 years as a very positive learning curve. Canadian people are some of the friendliest in the world and we have experienced things others can only dream of. I like to think my kids will return with a more balanced outlook on life in general having experienced a new culture. I certainly do not look at it as a failure, but just don't see Canada as a place to retire.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in Chelmsford and still have family and friends in Essex who have a good life. Good luck with your plans.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 6:17 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SlumdogPauper
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well...Firstly..have you or your's considered coming over for..perhaps a brief holiday? When was the last time you visited the UK?

Have you NOT got any friends or relatives in the proposed area who could perhaps visit some local Schools and the local Education Dept-usually based in Council offices-and find out about INTAKES for the childrens enrollment?

You may find that the UK ,especially parts of the South are very heavily oversubscribed with very far and few Schooling places,due to a mass population explotion-something this Government has failed to control, I am not being racist here ,coz I myself am an Indian Asian who has lived here for over 36 years and I do truly feel for the sentiments of local Brits.

Also forget about living in a big ,spacious place here,coz that is not feasible,it will be very ,very cosly and as for "LOWER TAXES"..well I leave that for someone else to fill you in on this forum,cos I have lost count of how many stealth TAXES the Public here have to put up with. Apparently,there's been a new hike today on yet more motoring taxes,etc, strangely everything else seem's to be going up in prices, BUT the wages are still very, very low, with jobs shrinking by the day.
Unless you are an MP!
Things here are going to decay,and a lot of tensions within different sectors of communities are not making things easier.The people who were born here are dismayed,quite rightly too, they lack incentives,the young are roaming the streets knifing innocent people for apparently no reason,Immigration is out of control,and the only industry that seem's to be flourishing is the car clamping,parking tickets,dustbin taxes,the biggest and largest spy cameras network in the World-need I carry on..sorry I don't like to be the messenger of doom and gloom and I expect "some politically" correct threader to throw a barrage of abuse-[ALL PREPARED] BUT I AM TELLING YOU THINGS ..AS I SEE THEM..AS THEY ARE!
We are in the middle of probably the Worst Recession ever witnessed in our lifetimes..and it doe's NOT LOOK VERY GOOD!
However,the professionalism amongst the British workers is still one worth commending,you still manage to get the odd smile and "THANK YOU" at the cashiers or Bank clerks-politeness..but sadly I think not for long,coz they are now ..overstretched!
House prices have sky rocketed over the last few years and it is impossible for a young person to get on to the property ladder-let alone afford to rent,renting a 1 bed flat in parts of London will set you back at around £700 per month.
Finally,my advise is to do your "OWN" research thoroughly ,before committing to such a big move..and GOOD LUCK!
What ARE you wittering on about?????

Bloody hell...where do u live? Peckham?

I have been back in Essex since April (not too far from where Sally comes from) My grandaughters have had no issues going to a good school.
We are not overrun with immigrants, in fact theres very few!! Theres no "tension" as you put it anywhere near here.
Just because u choose to live in a pighole, dont tar the whole country with the same brush
It pisses me off when idiots come on here slagging it off as if their little world paints a picture of the entire country.
One good thing about Britain is the huge diversity within itself depending on the region/ area you choose to live
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

backhomeagain will become famous soon enough

Hy all.

Thought I should write this letter and get some of the shit off my chest, I apologise now if it offends anyone. But if you are thinking of returning back to the UK, then this letter says it all.

Wife and me came to Calgary in Jan' 2008, I was sponsored for a job in engineering. Then laid off 7 weeks later. 3 months later I got a job moulding plastic parts. 3 months later I was laid off. 3 months later I got a job in my original profession - hoo fekkin' ra. 1 year and 3 days later, you guessed, I was laid off.

Why every 3 months I hear you ask? Because that is how long it takes for HRSDC to process paperwork, (the dreaded LMO), so you can start your next job. Two nervous breakdowns and near suicidal, wifey and me are now paving our way back to the UK in November, when my work permit expires.

Have I got anything good to say about Canada? Yes
Most of the people are polite, buses run every 10 minutes and their is a decent amount of beer if you look out for it. (Brewery Tap room near Calgary indoor market serves superb AB crude Stout - they should do, it's brewed their).

The bad things? Just a crap government, crap policies, and a system that is designed to F**K the temporary foreign worker, then send them on their merry little way. Hell, the cold and snow is not so bad - you can always put extra layers on.

But we came to Canada for a better life and when you listen to the Canadian representative at one of the expo's, (our rep came from Burnaby), they really do paint a lovely picture of all is well, plenty jobs etc etc.

What that translates to is: When you get there, you will be screwed as the only jobs available to foreigners are McDonalds, A&W burgers, taxi driving and so on. Forget the fact you may have a Phd or diploma in how to kiss ass because when you get here, the only thing you will be doing is slave labour and earning maybe $10 - $14 p/h.

The worst thing is, if you hear a Canadian accent you have to turn round to see if the guy is Canadian. Silly, isnt it? Statistics now show Filipinos, Asian, Chinese and Germans outweigh Canadians 7 out of 10. No wonder the Canadians are pissed off and leaving Canada!

Apologies if I sound bitter, but we gave up our home, family and friends to live the golden dream. So far it's been nothing but a fekkin' nightmare.

What country would tell you to supply proof of your attempts to find work then get told you cannot start work if the company does not have an LMO?
Meanwhile I sit here with my thumb up my ass for the next 11 months while the wife has to go to work. If it wasnt for her on an open work permit and in a good paying job, then I will be scavenging the dumpsters along with the rest of the unfortunates.

If you are unlucky to be laid off in the UK, you neednt worry about an LMO or work permits, or knocking on company doors in minus 45 degrees and two feet of snow, make a phone call - if they want to see you, just take a cab and start work a few days later. Think of real ale and the lovely country pubs, beer festivals that serve beer in pint glasses and not charge you shit load of dollars for a two inch sample glass.

Rewind back three years, and we can forget this hell hole even existed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.