moving back with disabled child

Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Cranbrookescapee is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile moving back with disabled child

I'm hoping to move back to the UK with my 16 yr-old son, who has physical and cognitive disabilities. Is there anyone else out there who's done this? Or am I crazy to even contemplate this..........?? I've been in Canada for 17 years, and have been very very homesick for a long time. Feeling a little desperate now. Grateful for any thoughts
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice
Default Re: moving back with disabled child

Originally Posted by Cranbrookescapee
I'm hoping to move back to the UK with my 16 yr-old son, who has physical and cognitive disabilities. Is there anyone else out there who's done this? Or am I crazy to even contemplate this..........?? I've been in Canada for 17 years, and have been very very homesick for a long time. Feeling a little desperate now. Grateful for any thoughts
Hi there, we are in the process of going back with our disabled child. We are in Ireland at the moment exercising our freedom of movement rights.

Are you going straight to the UK or like me, don't meet the financial requirements so using the Surinder Singh route to get home?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:10 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: moving back with disabled child

Are you returning as a single parent or as a couple? If you are returning as a single parent, do you have the permission of the other parent or the Courts to take your child out of Canada?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts are to wish you the very best. You are most certainly NOT crazy to contemplate what so many others have done/are doing, as you can see here!
Perhaps you are sure of the legal obligations? If these are in place; follow your instincts. it's not easy, but it can be done, and it seems to me that life will feel easier for you if you return 'home'.

Best wishes!
Old Aug 31st 2013, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your encouragement. I'm in the process of getting sole custody of my son, after which I'll be free to plan our journey home. I appreciate your thoughts :-)
Old Oct 8th 2013, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AngelaV
Hi there, we are in the process of going back with our disabled child. We are in Ireland at the moment exercising our freedom of movement rights.

Are you going straight to the UK or like me, don't meet the financial requirements so using the Surinder Singh route to get home?
I'm not aware of there being any financial requirements to go home. Can you explain please, in case it's something I need to know about? thanks
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:01 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If you and your Ds are both UK citizens you have no financial requirements. They are for UK citizens bringing back a non UK/EU spouse and children.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If you and your Ds are both UK citizens you have no financial requirements. They are for UK citizens bringing back a non UK/EU spouse and children.
Thanks for explaining!