Moving back with American partner :)

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

durge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back with American partner :)

Hi All,

I know my thread will be very similar to many already posted but here is my story and any help would be fab:

I'm from Leeds. After uni i moved to Boston, MA to get some work experience. I've been here since 2007, much longer than the 'year or two' I had planned...why? Usual story that i fell in love. My yanky boyfriend and i have have been living together (just us) for over 3 years now in our rented apartment.
We're ready to come back to the UK. mainly because my mum isn't doing great and we want a change. This seems a bit crackers in that i'm in the middle of my employment sponsored green card process but I want to come home
We are hoping to move back in the summer of 2014. I want to do all I can do move back WITH him not prior. neither of us can afford to live apart really. I/We can make trips of course before if needed for interviews or flat viewings but obviously with money being such a big factor AND with us planning so far in advance we want to do this efficiently.

So after trawling through all the info i can find here are my questions i hope any of you can help us with. please and thank you!

1. we currently earn a combined household income of approx. $70,000/43,000GBP (sorry my keyboard has no pound sign). is this ok? does this even matter?

2. can we live with my parents when we come back? or do we need to secure a flat or something? my parents are Fine with us doing that but will the UK be ok with it?!

3. how in the hell do i 'secure a job' in the UK while over here with a letter and all the jazz they want? is this something i could get through a job with a normal company cos i've never heard of being accepted 3 months in advance...which leads to...

4. how long (roughly, of course) does it take to go through this? for example, could we move back together, him as a visitor and then go through while in the UK once i have a 18k a year job or is this not wise?

5. the 18k job - just me or both of us? does he need a job offer thing too? can it (18k total) be combined?

5. thoughts on an immigration lawyer? when, who, how much? or can we do it ourselves? I have dealt with all the JOY of US immigration so I know it can be horrid. But I'm also not afraid of filling out forms if i can without having to pay thousands in legal fees.

Thanks so much for all/any help!!
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

durge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back with American partner :)

ps. i'm not completely sure about the whole moving to Dubin getting in the back door using EEU thing if anyone can send me to more info taking that route also. THANK YOU ALL!
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back with American partner :)

Do a search on this forum and there is loads of info regarding moving back to the UK with a foreign spouse.

Basically, YOU are the sponsor. YOU alone need to be earning a minimum of 18,600 UKP to sponsor him to enter and live in the UK. (or a higher amount in savings/assets)

You can either return to the UK, acquire a job with the necessary financial minimum and then, after 6 months apply for him to join you;

Or you can take into account your (not his) current salary, together with the salary from a job you will be taking within 3 month of returning to the UK to qualify for the financial requirements.

Since I don't know what your own particular circumstances are with regard your current job situation, I can't really advise which route you can take.

You should read the following document carefully. It has all the information as to which category you can apply under:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

You can use savings/assets to make up the financial requirements; you cannot have third party sponsors.

He cannot enter as a visitor and then change to spouse/partner visa.

You can live with family for accommodation purposes.

Basically, you need to prove you can support your partner financially.