Move back to UK, (but now with US wife and son)

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Indianabound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move back to UK, (but now with US wife and son)

I moved to the US in 2009 from the UK on a work-visa. Since then I have got married to a US citizen and we had a child 3 years ago. I have also become a US permanent resident.

We are considering moving to UK to be closer to friends and family. I work for an international company and would be able to continue my current job in the UK. My wife is a Registered Nurse, working part-time currently and raising our son.

I'd like to get some advice from members of the forum who may have been in a similar situation.

What would we have to do/criteria we would have to meet to move to the UK? I am a British citizen but my wife and son are US citizens.

Thanks
AT
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move back to UK, (but now with US wife and son)

If you were born in the UK it is likely that your son is also a British citizen. You only need to apply for his passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Your wife however will need a visa. The main bugbear with the current rules regarding spousal visas is that you must have been earning the equivalent of £18,600 in the US for at least six months before you lodge your application and have a job offer in the UK that will also pay a minimum of £18,600. Providing you meet these financial requirements the rest is fairly straightforward.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...led/spouse-cp/

If your wife has any recent British, European or Commonwealth ancestry you may wish to investigate the possibility of her obtaining a British/Irish/EEA passport or UK ancestry visa to avoid the fees and restrictions that come with partner visas.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Move back to UK, (but now with US wife and son)

Whatever you do, apply to be a US citizen before you leave! It costs approx $800 and you can get it really quickly.

I applied for mine in on 9th May 2012 and became a US citizen on 22nd August the same year You don't need to file via an immigration attorney, I just downloaded the application form online and sent it off via FedEx with my photos and a cheque drawn on my normal checking account. Easy peasy (the questions at your interview are not difficult at all).

There are other threads on the forum about the income requirement (I think you need to earn approx 18,500 pounds per annum) to bring your non-EU spouse into the UK but as you seem to have a senior position I imagine that you comfortably meet that.

Do look around on the 'sticky' sections at the top of the page for more info on how to apply. I will post the links for applying for your US citizenship if you wish (need to see to something cooking right now lol!)
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies

Yes, I was born in the UK - so it sounds straight forward for my son.

Unfortunately my wife has no UK, Commonwealth ancestry so we would have to go the visa route...

Regarding a spousal visa - is the GBP18,600 amount her income or would mine count? Could we all move if I had a job in the UK arranged but she did not? Currently her income alone is short of that figure (as she works part-time) although we could workaround that (work more hours prior to applying to meet that equiv amount)

Thanks again for the advice
AT
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Indianabound
Thanks for the replies

Yes, I was born in the UK - so it sounds straight forward for my son.

Unfortunately my wife has no UK, Commonwealth ancestry so we would have to go the visa route...

Regarding a spousal visa - is the GBP18,600 amount her income or would mine count? Could we all move if I had a job in the UK arranged but she did not? Currently her income alone is short of that figure (as she works part-time) although we could workaround that (work more hours prior to applying to meet that equiv amount)

Thanks again for the advice
AT
Only the British spouse's income is counted at this stage so your wife's current income is irrelevant. Providing you are currently earning above £18,600 in the US and will continue to do so in the UK then you will meet the requirements. Your wife can choose whether she wants to work in the UK or not. If she does then it will counted towards the financial requirements if you decide to apply for her Further Leave to Remain after two and a half years.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Hello Indianabound,
I just applied for Brit passports for my three young US born kids with no problems. You have to have someone in the UK certify that they know you. And send the application and supporting docs to Durham. It was very fast. We had the passports within two or three weeks.

Like you I plan on moving back to the UK this summer (from VA) with US wife and the three kids. I've lived in the US for 27yrs so its a huge decision for us. The visa is causing me a lot of stress. If you have a job to go to then you should be ok. I will have to use the savings route which is huge (we have to have 62.5K pounds tied up in a bank for six months). I am sorting through all the docs I need right now. You can not apply before 3 months before you leave which I find annoying because I would like this done so that I can focus on selling the house, shipping, schools and all the other important things.

Good luck,
Cheers
Nigel
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to the US in 2009 from the UK on a work-visa. Since then I have got married to a US citizen and we had a child 3 years ago. I have also become a US permanent resident.

We are considering moving to UK to be closer to friends and family. I work for an international company and would be able to continue my current job in the UK. My wife is a Registered Nurse, working part-time currently and raising our son.

I'd like to get some advice from members of the forum who may have been in a similar situation.

What would we have to do/criteria we would have to meet to move to the UK? I am a British citizen but my wife and son are US citizens.

Thanks
AT
So you are effectively being transferred back to the UK. If your current post earns more than 18,600 GBP per annum and your job in the UK will earn that amount or more AND it starts within 3 months of your return then you are all set to apply for the visa.

It's only your income which counts, not your US wife. Presuming your son can obtain UK citizenship (you as his UK father and him born in the US makes him British by descent) then its only your wife who needs a visa.

Start here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ners-families/
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ncoomber
You have to have someone in the UK certify that they know you.
No you don't. They can also be USC's.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to think about. If your wife wants to continue nursing she will need to register with the Nursing & Midwifery Council. This can be a long and drawn out process. The minimum education requirement is a BSN.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ncoomber
Hello Indianabound,
I will have to use the savings route which is huge (we have to have 62.5K pounds tied up in a bank for six months).
Nigel, they have relaxed a number of the rules around this in the past 9 months. You now only need the cash tied up in a bank account by the time you apply as long as you can prove it has been your money, under your control for at least 6 months in the form of other, now liquidated, investments (as per the latest changes this is now including property sales).

Hope that makes your life a touch easier?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Whatever you do, apply to be a US citizen before you leave! It costs approx $800 and you can get it really quickly.

I applied for mine in on 9th May 2012 and became a US citizen on 22nd August the same year You don't need to file via an immigration attorney, I just downloaded the application form online and sent it off via FedEx with my photos and a cheque drawn on my normal checking account. Easy peasy (the questions at your interview are not difficult at all).

There are other threads on the forum about the income requirement (I think you need to earn approx 18,500 pounds per annum) to bring your non-EU spouse into the UK but as you seem to have a senior position I imagine that you comfortably meet that.

Do look around on the 'sticky' sections at the top of the page for more info on how to apply. I will post the links for applying for your US citizenship if you wish (need to see to something cooking right now lol!)
Thanks for your reply... What's the main thinking in getting US Citizenship before moving back to the UK?

If I were to get it (like you have) does that mean dual citizenship? I would want to keep my British citizenship so not sure what having US Citizenship would mean. It is an option my employer has suggested is available if I am interested.

Thanks!
AT
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply... What's the main thinking in getting US Citizenship before moving back to the UK?
Because you can't get it other wise.

And yes, you'd be a dual citizen.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:18 am
Just Joined

gal122 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm also a UK Citizen but currently living in NZ with my kiwi husband. I'm considering a move back to the UK due to a number of reasons. Does it really matter if my husband doesn't work whilst on a spouse or ancestry visa (providing I have a job to go to in the UK)?

Thanks,
Claire
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gal122
Hi,

I'm also a UK Citizen but currently living in NZ with my kiwi husband. I'm considering a move back to the UK due to a number of reasons. Does it really matter if my husband doesn't work whilst on a spouse or ancestry visa (providing I have a job to go to in the UK)?

Thanks,
Claire
No it does not matter. It's YOU that needs to have the job and the necessary financial requirements.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Nigel, they have relaxed a number of the rules around this in the past 9 months. You now only need the cash tied up in a bank account by the time you apply as long as you can prove it has been your money, under your control for at least 6 months in the form of other, now liquidated, investments (as per the latest changes this is now including property sales).

Hope that makes your life a touch easier?
Thanks enlishguy.....I cashed in my 401k last year when I decided to make the move back. The slight relaxing of the rules will help some. The whole thing needs significantly relaxing in my opinion. Getting a visa to live with your wife or husband in your own country just shouldn't be so difficult. I realize my situation is far better than a lot so I shouldn't complain. I will once I get back to Yorkshire write to my MP and will encourage friends and family to do likewise.

Someone else commented about getting US citizenship before moving back. Not something I have done nor will I. If I end up moving back to the US which I doubt but never say never then I will have to re-apply for a green card again.

Cheers,
Nigel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.