Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Mother born in Hong Kong 1925. Could I claim nationality?

Mother born in Hong Kong 1925. Could I claim nationality?

Old Apr 19th 2019, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Traxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mother born in Hong Kong 1925. Could I claim nationality?

Hi, I'm new here, after browsing some of the interesting postings and articles. I'm thinking maybe some of you might have an answer to a question I have had for some time. Here is the scenario, step by step:

1. My mother was born in Hong Kong in 1925. Both her parents were Spanish nationals.
2. She was delivered by a midwife, in a hotel in Kowloon. Her birth was registered in Hong Kong about two weeks after she was born.
3. She grew up in Manila, in the Philippines, with her parents, brothers, and sisters.
4. After World War II, my father, an American who was working there, met and married her. I was born in Manila, in 1949. I had American nationality by my American father.
5. A month after my birth, we moved to the USA. My mother became a naturalized American citizen.
6. Prior to her naturalization, I understand she was a Spanish national, but that she also had British nationality by being born in Hong Kong.
5. In a safe deposit box, I have my mother's Spanish passport, and also her British passport, which is stamped, "British Subject: Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies". It was issued to her in 1951, in Los Angeles, before her naturalization as an American citizen.

My question: would I and my siblings have basis to claim British nationality, because of my mother having been born in Hong Kong in 1925?

Issues of nationality seem, per the reading I've been doing on the subject, very complex, and to involve multiple changes over the years. I think I'm understating the obvious, with that comment.

Many thanks to to any and all who can help me sort this out!
Old Apr 20th 2019, 2:39 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mother born in Hong Kong 1925. Could I claim nationality?

No - your mother would not have become a British citizen in 1983 as her birth in Hong Kong alone would’ve been insufficient for her to have been granted Right of Abode in the UK under the Immigration Act 1971. As such registration under Section 4C BNA 1981, as the child of a British mother born before 1983, is not available to you.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. I appreciate your clear assessment and response.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 9:09 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. Have you looked into Spanish citizenship?
Old Apr 20th 2019, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No problem. Have you looked into Spanish citizenship?
I have, but if I correctly understand what I've been reading on that topic, Spain doesn't allow dual citizenship unless your other nationality is from a former Spanish colony, e.g. Mexico, or a Latin American country. Philippines doesn't impart nationality on basis of being born there, of non-Philippine parents, so that avenue seems to be a non-starter.

So, I'm happy to be satisfied with my current citizenship status, while appreciating my multi-cultural family legacy. Thank you again for your help.

Old Apr 20th 2019, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

jmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Traxx

I have, but if I correctly understand what I've been reading on that topic, Spain doesn't allow dual citizenship unless your other nationality is from a former Spanish colony, e.g. Mexico, or a Latin American country. Philippines doesn't impart nationality on basis of being born there, of non-Philippine parents, so that avenue seems to be a non-starter.

So, I'm happy to be satisfied with my current citizenship status, while appreciating my multi-cultural family legacy. Thank you again for your help.

When you apply for the Spanish citizenship, the Spaniards will have you click/sign/make a statement saying you renounce your other citizenship to them, not to your own country in whatever that country’s formal process for doing so is. The Spaniards will then consider you to be only Spanish in a Spanish context. Depending on ones other nationality, it might not actually be considered a renunciation in the eyes of the other country (the USA, for example). If one is American, you can only renounce your citizenship to the American government in a defined process. You can look at this online in more detail.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Traxx

It is only restricted for those wishing to naturalise as Spanish citizens and even then the ‘renunciation’ usually has no legal effect on the other citizenship concerned. You would’ve been born a Spanish citizen so this is not a concern to you. I agree with jmin that this warrants further investigation on your part if you’re interested in claiming your Spanish citizenship.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Why, thank you both for the additional information, I will look into it further! Again, your responses are much appreciated.