Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

MERGED: Spouse Visa Issues with Sheffield +Spouse Visa Chat Thread.

MERGED: Spouse Visa Issues with Sheffield +Spouse Visa Chat Thread.

Old Aug 18th 2017, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chat about UK Spouse Visa . - off topic posts re timeline v chat threads

When we made the decision to go from US to UK, it was many months ago, when the turnaround time was about 6 weeks. So, (don't yell at me) we decided we would apply August 1st which is 3 months before we wanted to leave, and we made flight arrangements for leaving US November 8th.

Now, seeing all these emails about how long it is taking. I am wondering if we should change our flights? You can only apply 3 months in advance, so if I wanted to leave in December I would have applied in September......I don't get it

Any advice from the well seasoned members please?

Chris
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Scousejohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chat about UK Spouse Visa . - off topic posts re timeline v chat threads

Originally Posted by cdfergus
When we made the decision to go from US to UK, it was many months ago, when the turnaround time was about 6 weeks. So, (don't yell at me) we decided we would apply August 1st which is 3 months before we wanted to leave, and we made flight arrangements for leaving US November 8th.

Now, seeing all these emails about how long it is taking. I am wondering if we should change our flights? You can only apply 3 months in advance, so if I wanted to leave in December I would have applied in September......I don't get it

Any advice from the well seasoned members please?

Chris
Could not say for sure but US applicants along with Canadians and Austailians tend to get a quick turn around time!
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Scousejohn
Could not say for sure but US applicants along with Canadians and Austailians tend to get a quick turn around time!
Lately it seems not But I hope so!
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Scousejohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KernowIan
Sorry to hear this John. What a buggers muddle. I feel ashamed to be British tbh
Me too mate!
But lets not be under any illusion that our government gives two hoots about us!
They have sold the contract to apply to the highest bidder and scumbags like Capita who hound the poor and vunerable of our country , that pretty much sums up how our government views us common folk!
Extorted when applying and robbed when trying to get answers for delays.
I might just move back to Thailand to be honest!
Old Aug 18th 2017, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

brynmaxwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: MERGED: Spouse Visa Issues with Sheffield +Spouse Visa Chat Thread.

you can spend alot of money escalating your case
Garyede - I know nothing about escalating. Are you saying there's an additional fee to have case escalated?
Old Aug 20th 2017, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

garyede has much to be proud ofgaryede has much to be proud ofgaryede has much to be proud ofgaryede has much to be proud ofgaryede has much to be proud ofgaryede has much to be proud ofgaryede has much to be proud ofgaryede has much to be proud ofgaryede has much to be proud ofgaryede has much to be proud ofgaryede has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brynmaxwell
Garyede - I know nothing about escalating. Are you saying there's an additional fee to have case escalated?
No I am talking about the email or telephone call you can make after 60 days. Once a case has been escalated your supposed to get a reply after 15 days, but, only if the processing team choose to bother contacting you. Mostly they don't as I am sure you know. So you might as well save your money and contact your MP. However even with your MP they can keep him waiting for up to 20 days. I am waiting at the moment but being cynical expect to be fobbed off again. I just hope my MP or his secretary to be precise has some backbone. He seems like a nice guy but I really want someone who is feisty so have to wait and see!!!
Old Aug 20th 2017, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

For anyone interested I have stumbled on a report by the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration that looked at the decision making process for visas. The report concentrated on the Decision Making Centres (DMCs) at Croydon and Istanbul. However, it does give an insight into the failings (particularly at Croydon), which are likely replicated at Sheffield.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nbul-july-2017

Until I read the report I couldn’t understand what change had occurred beginning of 2017 that has resulted in applications made since February 2017 (approx.) taking almost 60 working days, whereas a colleague who applied for fiancé visa in November via VFS Manila received decision in about 8 days (priority). In a nutshell over past 10 years UKVI has been closing its DMCs around the world and bringing the decision process “onshore” to Croydon and Sheffield. It would appear the Manila DMC was closed in this year as part of this policy.

Reading the report (heavy going but illuminating) it would seem Croydon has serious understaffing issues and storage problems, which has resulted in wrong decisions, poor communication with applicants, lost files and obviously slower processing times. It is likely Sheffield has similar problems to Croydon – hence the complaints posted on this forum. However, the UKVI has covered itself regards the lengthy decision making process by quoting a target date of 60 working days. So this wasn’t an issue raised in the report and there’s not much that we as applicants/sponsors can do but grin and bear it.

Obviously closing DMCs and concentrating decision making at Croydon and Sheffield hasn’t resulted in greater efficiency and should have been stopped, but typical of government departments they’ve plundered on with the flawed policy.

Maybe someone cleverer or with more energy than me can get the media interested?
Old Aug 20th 2017, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

DernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond repute

@brynmaxwell: thanks for posting this, I have read it and it is very illuminating. What strikes me is that the system has become a monster, with successive layers of complexity being added, in an attempt to simplify.

Also, when I read this forum and when I think about my wife's application process, it strikes me that it is completely abnormal that so many intelligent people are asking the same questions and coming across the same problem areas in the process. This would indicate that either the procedures are deliberately made opaque, or else that they need a complete rework.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

@brynmaxwell: thanks for posting this, I have read it and it is very illuminating. What strikes me is that the system has become a monster, with successive layers of complexity being added, in an attempt to simplify.

Also, when I read this forum and when I think about my wife's application process, it strikes me that it is completely abnormal that so many intelligent people are asking the same questions and coming across the same problem areas in the process. This would indicate that either the procedures are deliberately made opaque, or else that they need a complete rework.

Hi DernierVirage. As my friend said when I asked his experience applying for fiance visa last November "The system has clearly been designed by someone who has never used it and deliberately made to be more complex than it should. The system should be easy but checking rigorous."

I would agree. From my experience applying first for a tourist visa for my GF and then fiance visa the applications from start to end are confusing, unnecessarily complex and user unfriendly. Without forums like this and others the chances of even getting applications right and including all the required documentation is almost zero. As it is I forgot to put return postage on the envelope, so God knows what will happen with them once Sheffield deign to confirm receipt of my docs.

I think its a case of a) government desperate to get numbers down (which it won't) b) bureaucracy gone mad (probably as result of (a) and c) use of computer geeks to create the websites who are completely out to touch with the real world. I doubt anyone unconnected with the application process actually tests it before unleashing it on the public.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

omario2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

For anyone interested I have stumbled on a report by the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration that looked at the decision making process for visas. The report concentrated on the Decision Making Centres (DMCs) at Croydon and Istanbul. However, it does give an insight into the failings (particularly at Croydon), which are likely replicated at Sheffield.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nbul-july-2017

Until I read the report I couldn’t understand what change had occurred beginning of 2017 that has resulted in applications made since February 2017 (approx.) taking almost 60 working days, whereas a colleague who applied for fiancé visa in November via VFS Manila received decision in about 8 days (priority). In a nutshell over past 10 years UKVI has been closing its DMCs around the world and bringing the decision process “onshore” to Croydon and Sheffield. It would appear the Manila DMC was closed in this year as part of this policy.

Reading the report (heavy going but illuminating) it would seem Croydon has serious understaffing issues and storage problems, which has resulted in wrong decisions, poor communication with applicants, lost files and obviously slower processing times. It is likely Sheffield has similar problems to Croydon – hence the complaints posted on this forum. However, the UKVI has covered itself regards the lengthy decision making process by quoting a target date of 60 working days. So this wasn’t an issue raised in the report and there’s not much that we as applicants/sponsors can do but grin and bear it.

Obviously closing DMCs and concentrating decision making at Croydon and Sheffield hasn’t resulted in greater efficiency and should have been stopped, but typical of government departments they’ve plundered on with the flawed policy.

Maybe someone cleverer or with more energy than me can get the media interested?
I am writing an email to my friends at the BBC right now. I need to use some of what you have written here if that is ok? It is already very good. I will try to add a bit more and hope that it will hook their editors' attention. If anyone has any comments for me to include in my email, please let me know.

Cheers,
Old Aug 20th 2017, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

I am writing an email to my friends at the BBC right now. I need to use some of what you have written here if that is ok? It is already very good. I will try to add a bit more and hope that it will hook their editors' attention. If anyone has any comments for me to include in my email, please let me know.
Its fine to use any part of my message - I'm pleased someone is showing an interest. If I can help in any way let me know.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

IKInd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I applied for my spouse visa on 7th April from India, non priority. And I am still waiting. My case was escalated on 26th July via phone but no one contacted me after 15 days. And you can imagine how many times I have contacted the contact centre, paying £1.37 / minutes.

When nothing happend I emailed and paid £5.48 and now my case is escalated again this Friday, 18th August.

I have also contacted my MP and he has written letter on 9th August. Still nothing happpened.

I am so frustrated and helpless. I made plans to spend good time with my wife over summer here in the UK.
But now my wife is also SO annoyed with me( though she understands it's not my fault).

This delay is impacting my marriage. This is inhuman treatment of British citizens or any citizens. I really don't know what to do. It seems I have hit the wall. I am not able to concentrate on my work. Keep checking my emails, reading different blogs etc. This is mental torture.
I am very close to going in depression.
I really don't know what to do.

I want to start my married life. But this delay has ruined the experience of being newly wed. Instead of having good conversation with my wife, it keeps ending with arguments over visa and Home office is solely responsible.

Apologies for long story, but this is what I am thinking 24/7.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

I applied for my spouse visa on 7th April from India, non priority. And I am still waiting. My case was escalated on 26th July via phone but no one contacted me after 15 days. And you can imagine how many times I have contacted the contact centre, paying £1.37 / minutes.

When nothing happend I emailed and paid £5.48 and now my case is escalated again this Friday, 18th August.

I have also contacted my MP and he has written letter on 9th August. Still nothing happpened.

I am so frustrated and helpless. I made plans to spend good time with my wife over summer here in the UK.
But now my wife is also SO annoyed with me( though she understands it's not my fault).

This delay is impacting my marriage. This is inhuman treatment of British citizens or any citizens. I really don't know what to do. It seems I have hit the wall. I am not able to concentrate on my work. Keep checking my emails, reading different blogs etc. This is mental torture.
I am very close to going in depression.
I really don't know what to do.

I want to start my married life. But this delay has ruined the experience of being newly wed. Instead of having good conversation with my wife, it keeps ending with arguments over visa and Home office is solely responsible.

Apologies for long story, but this is what I am thinking 24/7.
I can empathize with you. After waiting a year for my fiance to get court decision to annul her marriage, then another 6 months for the certificate of no marriage (CENOMAR) needed for fiance visa and now this business, I can feel myself taking out my frustration and anger on her even though its not her fault.

Yours would be a good example of the misery the Home Office/UKVI is causing British subjects that could be used were the media to become interested.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I can empathize with you. After waiting a year for my fiance to get court decision to annul her marriage, then another 6 months for the certificate of no marriage (CENOMAR) needed for fiance visa and now this business, I can feel myself taking out my frustration and anger on her even though its not her fault.

Yours would be a good example of the misery the Home Office/UKVI is causing British subjects that could be used were the media to become interested.
According to your earlier postings you only submitted supporting documents on 8 August (application completed late July)

Why are you blaming Home Office/UKVI for being apart from your fiance for so long? As you say, you have had to wait for the divorce and then CENOMAR, neither of which are anything to do with British immigration.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 5:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Nice. I hope you'll both very happy together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.