Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Meeting accommodation requirement - living with the landlord

Meeting accommodation requirement - living with the landlord

Old May 31st 2020, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

tsolrm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meeting accommodation requirement - living with the landlord

Hi all,

We are about to apply for FLR for my wife (second 2.5 year stint). Currently we are in the process of looking around for a rental property and there is an option to live with my close personal friend (he has a big house). We would have exclusive use of 2 bedrooms (there are 4 bedrooms, study + 2 bathrooms in total) and my friend (landlord) is willing to write any letters required for the visa application.

I have read around other forums that when sharing accommodation house inspection reports have to be carried out etc and whilst living with my friend at the moment financially makes sense, I don't want to put my wife's visa application in any danger. Can anybody please comment on this with their experience at hand? Is living with the landlord acceptable as far as HMRC stand?

Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2020, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meeting accommodation requirement - living with the landlord

As you are sharing a house you will need to get:

- letter from landlord giving permission for you to live there
- documentation proving landlord owns premises
- property inspection to show there would not be overcrowding.