Marrying in the US

Old Feb 8th 2015, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Karen2287 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Marrying in the US

Hi, I am a British citizen and my fiancé is a US citizen. We plan on getting married in the US and moving bVk to the UK.

So far we have not contacted the registry office in the UK.
I plan on going to Chicago and getting married, obtaining a marriage licence and returning with my husband, then letting the government know that we are married and applying for spouse or EEA2.

Does that sound about right? Or am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you
Old Feb 8th 2015, 1:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying in the US

Hi...welcome to BE.

As you are looking for information regarding your US spouse moving to the UK...I have moved your thread out of the US forums and into the UK forum. Someone will probably be along soon to help you.

Good luck and congratulations on your impending wedding.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 2:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, begin here. It has to be a spouse visa (the financials are a killer) or the Surinder Singh route

Spouse Immigration-UK : British Expat Wiki

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Surinder_Singh

Married in the US, I don't think you need to inform the UK registry office

start your visa process next

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...4029/VAF4A.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...settlement.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

Last edited by not2old; Feb 8th 2015 at 3:21 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 3:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karen2287
Hi, I am a British citizen and my fiancé is a US citizen. We plan on getting married in the US and moving bVk to the UK.

So far we have not contacted the registry office in the UK.
I plan on going to Chicago and getting married, obtaining a marriage licence and returning with my husband, then letting the government know that we are married and applying for spouse or EEA2.

Does that sound about right? Or am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you
You are only missing the whole requirement for him to be granted a Spouse visa, read, carefully, the info given in the link in the previous post.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Ok confused.

Can we not go through the EEA2 route? I don't earn 18,600 to obtain a spouse visa for my husband to be.

At there any other routes? I thought EEA2 was a good route as I am an EU citizen and he is not.

Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2015, 3:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Ok confused.

Can we not go through the EEA2 route? I don't earn 18,600 to obtain a spouse visa for my husband to be.

At there any other routes? I thought EEA2 was a good route as I am an EU citizen and he is not.

Thanks
OK, but you didn't say anything about that in your OP, you just stated 'moving back to the UK' which people will have assumed you meant straight back to the UK. so you need to carefully read the Surinder Singh part of the links you were given. Malta and Ireland do seem to be the most popular countries to use.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 3:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

post# 6 Mike good points

OP, you cannot go directly to 'Residence card' without first going the Surinder Singh, unless your US spouse is also an EU citizen

If your spouse is a US only citizen with no entitlement to a UK ancestry visa or citizenship of a EU country & that you the Brit are sponsoring him - then its the 'Family visa' route or as Mike posted the Surinder Singh route.

We're doing a lot of assumptions based on your OP
Old Feb 8th 2015, 3:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Not nearly enough information given to help you. Where do you reside with your fiancé now, the US, the UK or elsewhere? Unless your fiancé already holds a UK visa then he will need to apply for his spouse visa from the US although that's a moot point if you don't meet the financial requirements. In order to qualify for an EEA2 residence card you would first need to live with your husband in another EEA country and obtain an EEA Family Permit under the Surinder Singh rules. This generally would require you to live and work in another EEA country for at least six months.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 4:01 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I concur with the responses provided for you so far - that said, why don't you take a look at the EEA application & see if you meet the requirements

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card/apply

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...er-form-eea-fm

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...er-form-eea-fm

Last edited by not2old; Feb 8th 2015 at 4:09 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Sorry for limited information.

I currently reside in uk, hold a British passport. My fiancé lies in the states and hold the us passport. We met online therefore have not lived together. We plan on getting married in the states in his city which is Chicago and then returning back to the uk to settle here together.

As far as I was aware, because I am a Uk citizen, and it being in the EU, I can apply for an EEA2 for my husband after we get married?
Old Feb 8th 2015, 4:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I currently reside in uk, hold a British passport. My fiancé lies in the states and hold the us passport. We met online therefore have not lived together. We plan on getting married in the states in his city which is Chicago and then returning back to the uk to settle here together.

As far as I was aware, because I am a Uk citizen, and it being in the EU, I can apply for an EEA2 for my husband after we get married?
not correct

you need the 'spouse visa' & since as you mentioned that you do not meet the financial requirements of 'spouse visa' - then your option is Surinder Singh

easy read, start at the bottom of the page in the link & read up

http://anundividedfamilyinmalta.com/

Last edited by not2old; Feb 8th 2015 at 4:22 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can only go the EEA route, if you and he, once married, go to live in another EU country to live and work, and then after 6 to 9 months, move to the UK where you can then apply for the EEA family permit for him.

Other than that, if you want to marry and then move immediately to the UK, you need to sponsor him for a spouse visa as per British immigration law, and for this you have to fulfill certain financial requirements.

Read the following document carefully to see how you qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

He must obtain the spouse visa BEFORE he enters the UK. He cannot apply for it once in the UK. The visa is "join family settled in the UK"

Start here

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Feb 8th 2015 at 4:44 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 4:44 pm
Dichotomus tinker

10 posts all providing (more or less) the same response

OP, have you considered the reverse option?

Bringing Spouses to Live in the United States as Permanent Residents | USCIS
Old Feb 8th 2015, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

So let me get this clear. To go through the surinder Singh route, both myself and my "husband" would need to live and work in an Eu country for min of 6 months?

That means I would have to leave my job and move to an EU country?

My "husband" can't stay there for 6 months while I remain in the UK? The we apply for the EEA.

Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2015, 5:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

So let me get this clear. To go through the surinder Singh route, both myself and my "husband" would need to live and work in an Eu country for min of 6 months?
up to 6 months, not less than 3 mths, 4 mths minimum going through the bits & bobs. No, its just you that has to work in the EU country. You both have to be together the whole period spent in the EU country before applying for the Family Permit, then residence card

That means I would have to leave my job and move to an EU country?
yes, you have to do what you have to do to get him to the UK

My "husband" can't stay there for 6 months while I remain in the UK? The we apply for the EEA
By himself - no, because its you as the UK citizen exercising your EU treaty rights in the member state & have to find work for the period while you're in the EU country

As posted in that link 'an undivided family in Malta' & the 'Surinder Singh' Wiki link

Your centre of life has to move from the UK to another EU country

Last edited by not2old; Feb 8th 2015 at 5:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.