To Marry my Brazilian girlfriend and move to UK

Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Marry my Brazilian girlfriend and move to UK

Does your girlfriend want to marry in Brazil, Italy, UK or elsewhere?
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Romeo30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Does your girlfriend want to marry in Brazil, Italy, UK or elsewhere?
Hi there. In the UK i think its easier here.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Romeo30
Hi there. In the UK i think its easier here.
In that case your girlfriend will need a Marriage Visitor visa. After the wedding she'll need to go abroad to apply for her EEA Family Permit. Unlike a regular UK visa she can do this from any country so maybe you can go to Italy on your honeymoon and apply from there? Wherever is easiest.
Old May 17th 2016, 9:16 am
Just Joined

krautboy88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys thank you for your great replies.

So my fiancée and I are not getting married in August just after the Olympics in Rio, my work allowed me to stay for 2 months in brazil and work from there.

So here is what we would like to do now.

19th August get married at Registrar in Rio, we will get the marriage certificate on same day. We will get an official translator to translate the certificate into English on the same day.
We hope to be able to apply for the spouse visa between the 22-26th August at the British consulate in Rio. We studied the criteria and we think that we tick all the right boxes, I have started to collect all the necessary docs needed to be able to provide it as evidence.

While applying for the spouse visa we will apply for the fast track service, which apparently gives us a decision within a month of the application date.

Now my question:

I will be able to stay with my then wife for a further 6 weeks until the 8th of October in brazil. I am not entirely sure where or to whom I will have to provide all my pay slips and data to when being in brazil for this.

Can you advise, whether I can just give all the hard copies or soft copies to the British consulate in Rio. Or would I have to file these directly in the UK?

Thank you your answers are much appreciated.
Old May 17th 2016, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can apply for the spouse visa once you are married.

The documents have to be sent to wherever it says to send them as per the Brazilian instructions for obtaining a spouse visa.

The fact that you are in Brazil is immaterial.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 8:27 am
Just Joined

We started collecting all the relevant docs, get thigns sorted pictures and all the other stuff too.

We are now looking at her name change. My fiancee wants to take my Sir name once we are married, i think it may just make a few things more complicated when it comes to the visa process.

So what would you say/advise is best. She can just take my name, but on the visa application we stick with her maiden name for now, as all her documents are with this name. Would this have any bearing on the visa application?

Or is it best she keeps her Maiden name also for the marriage, and then things should be easier? She wouldnt be to happy about this option lol

Thanks
Old Jun 15th 2016, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I think she can change her surname after getting married and apply for the visa in the married name, with the marriage certificate acting as a document to prove the name change. It depends how long it will take her to get a new passport in your surname, most countries require a new passport for a name change nowadays. If she can get one in a couple of weeks you might want to wait and put the application in once she gets the passport.

Having said that, she can be known socially as Mrs Your Surname from the day you get married, while keeping all the paperwork in her maiden name until her passport runs out and she renews it. That's what I did. As long as any airline tickets match the name in the passport.

I think the first option would be better now the residence permit is a separate card, not just a sticker in your passport. But as I said, maybe wait until she renews her passport for the 'official' change. Most women find that even if they don't ever change their name, the families (especially the husband's family) will refer to them as Mrs HisSurname!
Old Jun 15th 2016, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I think she can change her surname after getting married and apply for the visa in the married name, with the marriage certificate acting as a document to prove the name change. It depends how long it will take her to get a new passport in your surname, most countries require a new passport for a name change nowadays. If she can get one in a couple of weeks you might want to wait and put the application in once she gets the passport.

Having said that, she can be known socially as Mrs Your Surname from the day you get married, while keeping all the paperwork in her maiden name until her passport runs out and she renews it. That's what I did. As long as any airline tickets match the name in the passport.

I think the first option would be better now the residence permit is a separate card, not just a sticker in your passport. But as I said, maybe wait until she renews her passport for the 'official' change. Most women find that even if they don't ever change their name, the families (especially the husband's family) will refer to them as Mrs HisSurname!
So if we both get married, my fiancee takes my sir name on the Marriage certificate, but we apply for the spouse visa in her passports name, we will not face any issues because her "sir name" is different on 2 documents?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really sure tbh, others will know more. The word is definitely surname though, not sir name, (unless you have been knighted lol).
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I'm not really sure tbh, others will know more. The word is definitely surname though, not sir name, (unless you have been knighted lol).
Sorry I did mean surname
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:57 pm

Just apply for a new passport in the married name and then apply for the visa.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Thx for the replies.

We are working with a tight time frame, so decided she will apply with her Maiden name, as this will be represented also on the marriage certificate. We intend to get married 19th August and apply for the visa as soon as we have the marriage certificate.

I am currently getting docs together to proof adequate living space. I currently house share with my mum in a 4 bed room house. I will get a letter of my Landlord that he has no objection about my then spouse living with us. I will get an independent inspection report of the local council, Rental agreement doc & I will try to get council tax statements with my name on. Anything else related to this you thing might be useful?

Also I will be in Brazil when we get married & apply for the spouse visa (I am allowed by my company to work there for 6 weeks). She has to give her passport with the application, that much we are aware. Do i have to hand in my passport as well?

Cheers
Old Feb 7th 2017, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

ducatisub is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. am totally new to this forum but have a few questions.

I am an English guy currently living and working in France and i wish to marry my Brazilian girlfriend with a view to living in France initially but then possibly move back to Britain in a year or so.....so my questions are....

Where would be the best place to get married apart from France? I know that France is not an option. Britain? Denmark? Brazil?
As an EEA citizen, what are the current rules for bringing a non EEA spouse back to France to live.

Please help as with all the rule changes recently I'm a bit lost.

Many thanks
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

saracjs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Marius and Tiana,

I'm Brazilian and have a British boyfriend. We've been together for a year now.

We've been thinking of all possibilites there's out there, so we can be together.

Our initial plan was for him to move over Brazil next year to study. Since he would be here for 13 months on a student visa, we would be able to get married here and then give notice to the U.K. government. After that, we would figure out a way we could live together in the U.K. in 2019.

However, latelly we've thinking it might be better if we get married in the U.K. and I move there instead.

My question is:

What happens after the 6-month Marriage Visitor Visa expires? Does the partner of the British citizen has to leave the country? If yes, what is the next step? How can the partner get back to the U.K. without having to leave the country?

Thanks a lot and the best of luck to you!
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saracjs
Hi Marius and Tiana,

I

My question is:

What happens after the 6-month Marriage Visitor Visa expires? Does the partner of the British citizen has to leave the country? If yes, what is the next step? How can the partner get back to the U.K. without having to leave the country?

Thanks a lot and the best of luck to you!
Yes ... with a Marriage Visitor visa, the non Brit spouse spouse leaves the UK at the end of the visa. They then apply for a spouse visa from their home country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.