Married in US - getting UK visa for wife

Old Mar 20th 2015, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Eagle60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married in US - getting UK visa for wife

Hi

I'm a British citizen working in the US and recently married my wife (she's a Turkish citizen).

Firstly, does anyone know how I register the marriage in the US? The consulate in LA doesn't do this and I looked up the British Embassy in Washington and they don't seem to do it either.

Also, when we decide to move back to the UK, does anyone know the best way of applying for a marriage visa?

Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married in US - getting UK visa for wife

You should get a Marriage Certificate from the courthouse in which you registered. If you have that, it should all be filed and there's nothing more you need to do.

As for the UK visa, I suggest you look in the Moving Back forum as the people here would know way more about US visas than those for the UK.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Eagle60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Yes, we have the marriage certificate from the courthouse. But isn't there a 'Notice of Marriage' that you can file with the UK authorities to let them know you have married?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eagle60
Thanks. Yes, we have the marriage certificate from the courthouse. But isn't there a 'Notice of Marriage' that you can file with the UK authorities to let them know you have married?
I doubt it. She doesn't have any UK rights until she becomes a UK resident and that doesn't occur until she gets a spousal visa when the marriage certificated has to be presented.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:22 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eagle60
Not any more. You used to be able to deposit your foreign marriage certificate with the General Registry Office via the FCO but it was a victim of last year's cuts.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...overseas-brits

Providing your marriage certificate is valid and legal in the United States then it will be equally valid in the United Kingdom. Given that it is in English you don't even require a translation.