Married since 2002 but physically seperated

Old Jul 30th 2021, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Gullible is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Married since 2002 but physically seperated

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and he came to the UK originally on a settlement visa. I ended up moving there instead and his UK status lapsed and I travelled back and forth to the UK to see my family whilst caring for his elderly parents who died a few years ago over there. I moved back here permanently in 2014 ( I think) to then look after my elderly father and my husband was the one doing the ping pong across the ocean. In recent years niether of us have travelled as he was renovating our house to put it on the market and I became a grandma over here. We have been regulary in touch twice a week on skype and emails/ phone calls etc and now our house has recently been sold (finally) we both want to be together on the same side of the ocean before we get too old as he has no family left and all my children/grandkids are over here. What route should we take? Will the fact that we have physically been apart for a number of years be an issue for us? Finances and houses etc are jointly owned. I also read somewhere on the immigration website (and since cant find it) that you can "resurrect" an application if it was made before a certain date? is 19 years ago far too long for this? Thanks in advance. Just starting to gather as much info as I can since the UK government has lifted restrictions for him to come now.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 10:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married since 2002 but physically seperated

It’s not very clear where ‘here’ and ‘there’ are. Which other country are you referring to? Which passports and visas do you currently both hold?
Old Jul 30th 2021, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Sorry about that....and I thought I had done a really good job LOL

My husband is American and holds a USA passport.

I am British and have Dual citizenship and a US passport and a British Passport.

He came on a spousal visa to the UK in 2002 but it lapsed because we moved to the USA.

Last edited by Gullible; Jul 30th 2021 at 11:26 am. Reason: spelling and added more info
Old Jul 30th 2021, 11:50 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so you’re in the UK, he’s in the US, but you haven’t lived together since 2014?
Old Jul 30th 2021, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to live together in the UK then you must sponsor him for a spouse visa.
No, you cannot resurrect any application/status which is 19 years old.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

You need to fulfill fnancial requirements:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...t-v7.0-ext.pdf

You relationship has been unusual, but the fact you have still been married for so long and have property/family together will probably suffice.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Okay, so you’re in the UK, he’s in the US, but you haven’t lived together since 2014?
Not exactly. ( I actually meant 2016) We have had a bolt hole over here since 2008. I just ended up staying here longer and longer especially after my dad had a stroke and then i got my first grandchild and it got harder and harder to return. He obviously always had to return not least because our business is over there. We always intended to end up here but the years rolled on, recently its been corona, prior to that it took two years to sell our house and prior to that we were renovating it. Priorties changed and it just happened. It has been 4 and half years since we have seen each other physically because of the reasons I have outlined above although we have been in touch almost daily. Do you think that will be an issue?

Last edited by Gullible; Jul 30th 2021 at 6:10 pm. Reason: added more information
Old Jul 30th 2021, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Sandiego Girl.

It would not let me quote your post because it has URLs in it and I have got to have made more posts.

Last edited by Gullible; Jul 30th 2021 at 5:43 pm. Reason: spelling mistakes