Married a Brit/Recently Moved to the UK

Old Jan 7th 2017, 10:41 am
Just Joined

alyssa_chromy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married a Brit/Recently Moved to the UK

Hello all! I am a USC and married to my UKC husband last year. I've just moved to London late last year. After taking some time off, I've started job hunting. A few questions...

1. I'm considering freelancing for a short time while I search for a permanent job. Would I have to claim self-assessment tax for in both the US and UK?
https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-t...d-a-tax-return

2. If I already have a social security number from the US, so do I need a national insurance number in the UK? Or can I use my ss to claim taxes? There is something here about a "bilateral agreement" - any ideas?
https://www.gov.uk/tax-come-to-uk

3. Do you file your taxes on your own? Or do you hire someone to file them? I know that's more of a preference question.

Thank you for all you help!!
Old Jan 7th 2017, 11:08 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married a Brit/Recently Moved to the UK

Originally Posted by alyssa_chromy
Hello all! I am a USC and married to my UKC husband last year. I've just moved to London late last year. After taking some time off, I've started job hunting. A few questions...

1. I'm considering freelancing for a short time while I search for a permanent job. Would I have to claim self-assessment tax for in both the US and UK?
https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-t...d-a-tax-return

2. If I already have a social security number from the US, so do I need a national insurance number in the UK? Or can I use my ss to claim taxes? There is something here about a "bilateral agreement" - any ideas?
https://www.gov.uk/tax-come-to-uk

3. Do you file your taxes on your own? Or do you hire someone to file them? I know that's more of a preference question.

Thank you for all you help!!
You will need a National Insurance Number to work in the UK, the bilateral agreement is a system where you will not be taxed in both the UK and US on the same income, or at least you can offset one against the other. You will most certainly have to do a self assessment tax return for the UK if you are self-employed which, as a free lancer you will be. The two systems are totally separate.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 11:16 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you were successful in acquiring your spouse visa then.

1. As a US citizen you'll need to file a tax return every year with the IRS regardless of anything else. As a UK resident you'll need to file a Self Assessment tax return if you are self-employed. Most salaried employees will have their tax and NI contributions taken out automatically at source through PAYE (Pay As You Earn).

2. Yes, you'll need a National Insurance Number (NINO) in order to work in the UK. Your US Social Security number is meaningless within the context of the UK tax system. Check the back of your Biometric Residence Permit - you may already have been given one. If not you'll need to apply for one through the Jobcentre Plus.

3. Most workers in the UK are PAYE so it doesn't affect most but it's a matter of personal preference whether you file your own Self Assessment tax return.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You will need a National Insurance Number to work in the UK, the bilateral agreement is a system where you will not be taxed in both the UK and US on the same income, or at least you can offset one against the other. You will most certainly have to do a self assessment tax return for the UK if you are self-employed which, as a free lancer you will be. The two systems are totally separate.
The OP can have a look at the link below regarding how to get a National Insurance Number in the UK -

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

AmanSood is an unknown quantity at this point

as a US citizen you would still be required to file a US return even when non-resident. Therefore, you should complete a UK tax return and claim a tax credit for any double taxation which occurs.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 1:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmanSood
as a US citizen you would still be required to file a US return even when non-resident. Therefore, you should complete a UK tax return and claim a tax credit for any double taxation which occurs.
As suggested in post #3 ???
Old Jan 9th 2017, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

AmanSood is an unknown quantity at this point

different point. Point 3 makes it sound optional to file a return if the individual is an employee in the UK. my point is that if there is going to be some sort of double taxation US and UK then a return should be filed to claim back a tax credit!
Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmanSood
different point. Point 3 makes it sound optional to file a return if the individual is an employee in the UK. my point is that if there is going to be some sort of double taxation US and UK then a return should be filed to claim back a tax credit!
As you posted & for the OP, in the following sourced from somewhere else with a simple explanation

US Tax Guide for Americans Living in the UK | UK Yankee

HMRC also have a 'more detailed & complicated expansion' publication on dual tax treaty treatment

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-_in_force.pdf

Last edited by not2old; Jan 9th 2017 at 2:16 pm. Reason: edited