Marriage Visitor Visa then Spouse Visa (general help)

Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

JamieMMM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage Visitor Visa then Spouse Visa (general help)

Hi folks. Would love some pointers and clarification in regards to what route to take and if you can spot any potential problems we could face. Our situation:

We began our relationship in London in Dec 2015. She is a Taiwanese citizen and her 'Tier 4 UK Student Visa' expired in Oct 2016 after graduating from university in London. She did some traveling around Europe (I visited her in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Berlin during this time) and she then returned to Taiwan around Christmas 2016. Since then we have visited each other multiple times in Taiwan, England, Scotland and Japan in March 2017 when I proposed.

I meet all updated financial requirements, own a property that is more than suitable for us and have a steady and secure job. With her degree and work experience she can easily find a job in her sector and probably earn double what I do haha!

We're looking at getting married during her work trip to London in mid September 2018 using the 'Marriage Visitor Visa' and then her leaving her job in Taiwan and moving to the UK with me in December 2018 / January 2019 using the 'Spouse Visa' option...

Is this the best way we can go about this? I'm pretty confused by it all, but I think we seem to tick the relevant boxes.

Thanks so much for any help. I thought it best to ask here before heading to an immigration lawyer.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage Visitor Visa then Spouse Visa (general help)

If your plan is to marry in September 2018 , then she returns to Taiwan and applies for a visa so she can return in December 2018/Jan 2019, this is perfectly feasible.

Don't know how long her work trip is for but remember that in the UK you have to give notice of getting married whether it be registry or church wedding. 28 days notice?
Old Jul 29th 2018, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

JamieMMM is an unknown quantity at this point

Does she need to be present for the whole 28 days in the UK?

I read that both partners must be residents for 7 days before giving notice - she has lived here for a few years previously (Tier 4 Visa twice) does that count toward / nullify that?

If not then she needs to be he for 7 days, then on the 8th day we give notice and then has to stay for the further 28 until we get the all clear?
Old Jul 29th 2018, 10:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

She can leave the UK after giving notice but then she would need to return again in order to get married and then return to Taiwan to apply for her spouse visa. You may find a fiancée visa is a more practical solution.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 7:34 am
Just Joined

cattyk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JamieMMM
Does she need to be present for the whole 28 days in the UK?

I read that both partners must be residents for 7 days before giving notice - she has lived here for a few years previously (Tier 4 Visa twice) does that count toward / nullify that?

If not then she needs to be he for 7 days, then on the 8th day we give notice and then has to stay for the further 28 until we get the all clear?
My Marriage Visitor Visa was granted and I've previously lived in the UK on the Tier 5 visa but that doesn't count towards the 7 days. Once your fiance arrives in London, you can only give notice after those 7 days have passed.
We had booked a notice appointment online with Lambeth Office as proof of wedding arrangements for the Marriage Visitor Visa. Lambeth registry office allowed bookings without any payment, whereas Islington & Camden required the £70 payment upfront when booking.