Marriage notice period

Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:47 am
Just Joined

songforkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage notice period

Hi there

Apologies in advance if this is the incorrect thread to post this information in.

My partner is on a youth mobility visa which expires 22 April. He's currently working, has been in the UK since mid November and has an Australian passport.

We want to get married however all documentation reads a 71 day notice period for non EU nationals 'without specified immigration status'.

Does him having an existing visa mean he DOES have immigration status and therefore avoids the 71 day waiting period?

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2016, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage notice period

Originally Posted by songforkaren
Hi there

Apologies in advance if this is the incorrect thread to post this information in.

My partner is on a youth mobility visa which expires 22 April. He's currently working, has been in the UK since mid November and has an Australian passport.

We want to get married however all documentation reads a 71 day notice period for non EU nationals 'without specified immigration status'.

Does him having an existing visa mean he DOES have immigration status and therefore avoids the 71 day waiting period?

Thanks
It's 28 days notice now but can be extended to 70 days or more if one person is a non-EU citizen and UKVI want to investigate to see if it is a sham marriage.

I should imagine that "specified immigration status" will be things like the Fiance visa or the Marriage visitor visa, where UKVI have already investigated before they gave a visa that has permission to marry in the UK.

The rules were brought in because so many were coming to the end of their time in the UK were then using marriage as a way to remain in the UK.

There is a bit more on it here from Barnet council and lists what you will have to do to be able to marry a non-EU citizen in the UK.
https://www.barnet.gov.uk/citizen-ho...rtnership.html

Last edited by formula; Feb 18th 2016 at 12:43 pm.