British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Lots of questions about priority and fees (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/lots-questions-about-priority-fees-928411/)

sine Oct 9th 2019 11:40 am

Lots of questions about priority and fees

I'd be grateful if someone could help me fill in a couple of blanks I have about the application process of a settlement visa (my husband's). I gather that we fill out the application on the Home Office website, pay the NHS surcharge and application fee there, and then get a reference number to proceed with the VFS website.

My questions are: do I choose the Priority option during the Home Office section of the process, or the VFS section? Or even possibly both? Or, do I apply on the Home Office website as normal, then choose the Settlement Premium Package? I'm trying to come up with a total fee for everything and this is my stumbling block.

Also, my husband could go to the Premium Centre in Chicago, it's a few hours drive but if it progresses things faster that's fine. Otherwise St Louis will be much closer. Is our only option for any kind of Priority to pick the Chicago Premium Centre? And will we have to make that decision while on the Home Office section or just once we get to the VFs section?

Any wisdom gratefully received!

TexasToYorkshire Oct 10th 2019 7:28 pm

Re: Lots of questions about priority and fees

Hi - this is one of my remaining questions as well (when/where to pay Priority). I have been repeatedly advised NOT to pay both. My working assumption is that if you pay for priority on the .gov site, this is for those who want priority, but plan to attend a US Dep HomeSec site for their Biometrics, and if you select a third party (VFS for America), then you pay at the appointment (which I've heard). I'm planning to call VFS to see if I can just get the answer straight from them.

I think for VFS, you are only selecting the Priority Visa, which is 700-something. The Settlement package is like 2000. That package not only includes the priority, but also all the bells and whistles that mainly offer assurance and flexibility.

I am trying to also ascertain whether I should only upload at home onto the .gov site, or only have VFS upload for me, or do both. And I'm planning on having VFS mail everything too, just in case. Have you figured out/decided on the document uploading/mailing aspect?

TexasToYorkshire Oct 10th 2019 7:55 pm

This is the resource we both needed:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...isa-in-the-usa

So what I am piecing together, is that since docs are mailed to VFS in NY anyway, if you pay for priority on the GOV website, you are paying for priority with VFS, and alternatively, you're paying for priority on the VFS website. You're only doing one of those, and you need to make sure you print your receipt for priority to take with you to your appointment at VFS, and you need to include it in the application package that you mail. The GOV site also recommends that you write "Priority Service" on the outside of the envelope too.

The docs need to be mailed within 5 days of your Biometrics appointment.

sine Oct 18th 2019 9:48 am

TexasToYorkshire, I am just now seeing your replies. So sorry! Have you gotten to the bottom of whether you will go to one of the VFS Global Premium Application Centres, or a Department of Homeland Security Application Support Center? I'm thinking the priority is only offered at the premium centres? I also just read this update which I'm not sure really changes anything I had learned, but wanted to share with you.
https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/us/en/ne...rmation-agenda

Just out of interest, when will you be applying? Is your spouse already in the UK? We will be applying in January.

sine Oct 18th 2019 10:09 am

Replying to myself again here... I found this page ( https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/us/en/pr...for-settlement ) that explains the $736 priority visa for settlement...and it say's it isn't available at the Premium Chicago center. The closer ASC in St Louis would offer it. So that's great, so much closer etc, but if I am not at a premium center then I wouldn't have the choice to have them upload the docs, right? He would have to do it himself? I'm pretty confused about the difference between the priority visa service and the priority visa for settlement. Any thoughts?

LARAHTX Oct 19th 2019 10:12 pm

I just saw that once you use the .Gov (UK website) you can pay priority through there. I wonder if it takes you directly to the VFS website or what? I know that we shouldn’t be paying twice. But I’m also confused because at times it says that the Houston office doesn’t offer the priority visa service and then it does. It’s just a headache.

my husband and I will be applying for my visa at the end of this month.

BritInParis Oct 19th 2019 11:31 pm

If you are applying for a settlement visa and you want the Priority service then you’ll need to apply at a centre that offers the Settlement Priority service.

TexasToYorkshire Oct 21st 2019 5:49 am

So I'm opting to use a USCIS application support center so I may not be the expert, but I think I've put together that at Premium Application centres, you can only use the Settlement Premium service, which is like 1900 dollars. If all you want is priority, you can get this if you go to an ASC. You pay for priority at the end of your application, either on the UKVI site, or on the VFS, both offer it, though I was advised to buy priority on the VFS site.

sine Oct 23rd 2019 10:45 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12751183)
If you are applying for a settlement visa and you want the Priority service then you’ll need to apply at a centre that offers the Settlement Priority service.

In that case the ASC in St Louis should suffice, correct? Since I am not interested in the $2000 Settlement Premium Package, but the $750 Priority Visa for Settlement. Sorry to beat a dead horse, this has been one of the more confusing aspects!

sine Oct 23rd 2019 10:48 am

Originally Posted by TexasToYorkshire (Post 12751700)
So I'm opting to use a USCIS application support center so I may not be the expert, but I think I've put together that at Premium Application centres, you can only use the Settlement Premium service, which is like 1900 dollars. If all you want is priority, you can get this if you go to an ASC. You pay for priority at the end of your application, either on the UKVI site, or on the VFS, both offer it, though I was advised to buy priority on the VFS site.

Yes, this is what I'm thinking too. Any idea why you were told to pay for it on the VFS site and not the UKVI site?

BritInParis Oct 23rd 2019 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by sine (Post 12752790)
In that case the ASC in St Louis should suffice, correct? Since I am not interested in the $2000 Settlement Premium Package, but the $750 Priority Visa for Settlement. Sorry to beat a dead horse, this has been one of the more confusing aspects!

That’s correct.

TexasToYorkshire Oct 23rd 2019 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by sine (Post 12752791)
Yes, this is what I'm thinking too. Any idea why you were told to pay for it on the VFS site and not the UKVI site?

I think I read someone's experience that paying for priority on the UKVI site instead of on VFS triggered a glitch of some kind. I think the glitch that the disclaimer that is now on the AccessUK site refers to. So presumably it has been addressed. Since I havent gotten that far in the application process, I cant say for certain or predict what I will definitely end up doing.

In an advice thread elsewhere on the web, someone said that they weren't able to upload on the VFS site, because they paid for their shipping with VFS first. I am going to use UPS for shipping both ways, but wanted to share that. They ended up not getting to upload, and had to mail everything, which of course is fine. I however really want to upload AND mail so this is something I am watching out for.