Lost jobs in US- VFS closed, need advice

Old May 13th 2020, 4:48 am
Just Joined

Edgemont is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost jobs in US- VFS closed, need advice

Hello- my husband (British citizen) and I (as US citizen) have a child together (British and US citizen) and our family moved to the US last year. We have both lost our jobs to covid-19 which has been rather unfortunate! Given the economic impact, we are unlikely to find jobs in the US any time soon, so we need to return to the UK where we have plenty of savings and a home to return to.

I was previously on a spousal visa of 2.5 years, which expired last year, so this isn't my first visa.

I had rushed to get my spousal visa paperwork completed before the lockdown, and managed to get my biometrics done, but my application was sent back by the VFS office in NY. We don't want to spend time/ money flying back and forth from the US/ UK to sort out a spousal visa for myself. I don't want to separated from our family for 6 weeks whilst applying from the US, but we also cannot afford for all of us stay in the US much longer.

Is anyone aware if there are any exceptions to be able to apply for a spousal visa from inside the UK? Especially considering we have a home to return to, and sufficient funds there as well?

Thank you!
Old May 14th 2020, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

EdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost jobs in US- VFS closed, need advice

Our situation is a little different than yours, my wife (US) had her VFS Global appointment cancelled due to the shut down, we missed it by a weekend, she was going to have her biometrics done and have her application paperwork scanned in and submitted.
We are in the final stages of buying our house in Scotland, our US house is sold, so our plan is to fly over with her as a visitor and when VFS Global reopens fly back here for 10 days to get her spouse visa. You could do something similar, although it looks as of now that the USCIS office which is shared with VFS Global in DC will be reopening June 4th, not sure where your VFS Global office is but might be worth a check.

I believe that since the visa expired, and I may be wrong, that you will have to start the entire process over again. Perhaps go with the VFS Global package that includes scanning docs so that when you get your appointment you can fly over and get the visa, but it will cost up to $2000 with VFS. I have not found anything that allows a spouse visa to be applied for whilst in the UK, that have allowed other visas but sadly as of yet no spouse visa.
Old May 14th 2020, 1:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edgemont
Hello- my husband (British citizen) and I (as US citizen) have a child together (British and US citizen) and our family moved to the US last year. We have both lost our jobs to covid-19 which has been rather unfortunate! Given the economic impact, we are unlikely to find jobs in the US any time soon, so we need to return to the UK where we have plenty of savings and a home to return to.

I was previously on a spousal visa of 2.5 years, which expired last year, so this isn't my first visa.

I had rushed to get my spousal visa paperwork completed before the lockdown, and managed to get my biometrics done, but my application was sent back by the VFS office in NY. We don't want to spend time/ money flying back and forth from the US/ UK to sort out a spousal visa for myself. I don't want to separated from our family for 6 weeks whilst applying from the US, but we also cannot afford for all of us stay in the US much longer.

Is anyone aware if there are any exceptions to be able to apply for a spousal visa from inside the UK? Especially considering we have a home to return to, and sufficient funds there as well?

Thank you!
The only exception that has been allowed with respect to spouse visa applications and the coronavirus situation is when you are already in the UK and are unable to return home to apply for a visa. Unable does not mean "it would be inconvenient", nor "it would be expensive".
Old May 14th 2020, 2:04 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The only exception that has been allowed with respect to spouse visa applications and the coronavirus situation is when you are already in the UK and are unable to return home to apply for a visa. Unable does not mean "it would be inconvenient", nor "it would be expensive".
+1

As a US citizen you can visit the UK for up to six months but you’ll need to return to the US by the end of that period to apply for your spouse visa. If you already have one in the system and your biometrics have been submitted then I would be tempted to wait it out. Things are starting up again so you may have your visa in a few weeks’ time.
Old May 14th 2020, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Ah sorry to hear, it's not ideal is it! I paid for the expedited service as well, but was told it can take up to 12 weeks. I was told the VFS office for my documents were in NY, so no idea when that will be opening- hopefully soon! Good luck with your move.
Old May 14th 2020, 4:52 am
Just Joined

Ya- may just have to do that. Being separated as a family with a young child isn't ideal, so we will probably need to wait this one out.
Old May 14th 2020, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your message. I have contacted the Home Office Coronavirus Immigration Team, so hopefully they will make some sort of exception. Especially considering this is not my first visa. Shame I let it expire last year when we were back in the states, but we didn't realize we'd be moving back to the UK so soon.