Living In NYC And Applying For Child's First Uk Passport

Old Jan 12th 2015, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Chris83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living In NYC And Applying For Child's First Uk Passport

Hi all,

I'm a UKC with green card through marriage to my USC wife.

We live in NYC and had a baby boy in October in Manhattan. I am now in the process of applying for his British passport from overseas.

I have his birth certificate, my birth certificate, completed application, two passport photos etc... it's ready to go.

However, I called the UK passport line and they said I need to submit my current passport with the application. I told them that i absolutely need it for work as my current job requires regular travel. Often at short notice. Their response was that a colour photocopy MAY suffice but that it's down to their discretion.

I was just wondering if anyone here has gone through this and been able to apply for child's passport from abroad WITHOUT havign to submit their passport as a British parent.

I was advised it could be away from me for over 10 weeks so completely impractical.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 12th 2015, 8:24 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living In NYC And Applying For Child's First Uk Passport

Just submit a colour photocopy. They can compare this to electronic records. Unless the passport examiner think yours is counterfeit they won't need the original.

Another option would be to be first apply for a consular birth certificate which negates having to supply any other supporting documentation. This is actually worth doing in any case as it'll give your permanent evidence of his British citizenship which won't expire and is cheap to replace unlike a passport.