Living in Aus, would like passport for UK?!

Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Home1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Aus, would like passport for UK?!

Hi there,
Im new to this, ive been recommended to join in the hope to gain clearer info regarding ancestry visa or access to the Uk/Eur for longer than 3 months at a time...
My childrens paternal parent is from London & i am also 1st generation aussie on my mothers side..
Theres got to be a better way than me needing to live in the UK for 3 to 5 years with a permanent address to gain an ancestry visa??
Any body here know of what the best path is to take in this case??
Anticipating your knowledge and response
Thanx
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:54 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Aus, would like passport for UK?!

So your mother was born in UK? That might make you British by decent, no need for ancestry visa. Kids dad is UK citizen? That might make kids British by decent. The more details you can provide, the quicker and clearer the answer!
Old Oct 7th 2016, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Your children's 'paternal parent'? You mean their father? What an odd way to describe him

Sounds like you are all British anyway one way or another, but if you can clarify the relationships and where various family members were born it would be useful.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Yes, my mum was born in Wales, 1942!! I was born in 1971....
From what ive been told ...
because of the year i was born the link would need to be on my Dads side, but he's about 5th generation australian. So that cancels that out.

Like i said, so ive been told!! I really do have no idea!!

Yes, the childrens 'father' is a UK citizen, born in Pimlico.

My Mum's parents were both born in the UK, both came out to Australia in the 1950's.

Hope this helps towards further information

Thanx
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You currently have right of abode in the UK through your British-born mother. Depending on when your children were born and whether you were ever married to their father will determine whether they are British citizens or not.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Ok

they were born in 2003 and the other 2005...

Yes, was married

Interesting... Id like to know more please

Thanx
Old Oct 7th 2016, 3:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Home1971
..... Yes, was married. ....
And still are? Or separated and with a new "partner"?

Note: as much for anyone else reading this thread as anything, if you can stick to the facts it will be quicker and easier for everyone to get you the information you need.

So if you are married to your children's other parent, it would be useful to describe him/her as your husband or wife, rather than using "partner" and leave us to guess as to what your family arrangement is. Also making it clear who is the biological father and mother of the children/each child, and whether both of the parents are in your "nuclear family", will also help enormously.

Thank you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 7th 2016 at 4:13 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

They changed the date of birth for which citizenship by descent through mother could be passed down - initially 1983 then 1965 then the date was removed altogether so my DH b 1949 got citizenship as his mother had been born in Suffolk in 1917 and moved to Aus in 1924. All here https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...british-mother

As long as your husband was born in UK your kids are British by descent as the others have said but you could not pass down your citizenship to your kids and your kids cannot pass theirs down another generation (unless they live in UK for a period)
Old Oct 7th 2016, 9:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Home1971
Ok

they were born in 2003 and the other 2005...

Yes, was married

Interesting... Id like to know more please

Thanx
If you were married to their father at the time of their births and their father was born in the UK then your children are already British citizens and you have only to apply for their British passports.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

If you wish to become a British citizen then you can register by making an application to the Home Office. The application is free; you need only to pay £80 towards the cost of your citizenship ceremony.

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...british-mother
Old Oct 8th 2016, 4:29 am
Just Joined

Hi there,

Thanx for all the information so far...

Yes, was married to the childrens father from 2000 till 2010.

He was born in the UK and still resides there

I live in Australia with my children

My children were born while we were married

I will check out the links and read the info..

Then ill tune back in...

Thanx for all the info so far

Anticipating further communication and details