Keep My Passport Service - Spousal visa

Old Feb 11th 2019, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

lady7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keep My Passport Service - Spousal visa

Hello,
Has anyone used the Keep my Passport service while applying (KPM)? I received an email from UKVI letting me know a decision for my spousal visa has been made and to drop off my passport to the visa application centre in Canada. I was told by the agent it'd be 3-5 days and I'd receive an email for collection. It's been 12 business days since drop off and I haven't heard anything. I contacted UKVI Sheffield to confirm they received my passport and got an automated response directing me to a website regarding document returns (which I had already reviewed but it doesn't include KPM, just about getting supporting material back).

Anyone have any experience using the service and how long did it take you?

Thanks so much!
Old Feb 11th 2019, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Keep My Passport Service - Spousal visa

Originally Posted by lady7
Hello,
Has anyone used the Keep my Passport service while applying (KPM)? I received an email from UKVI letting me know a decision for my spousal visa has been made and to drop off my passport to the visa application centre in Canada. I was told by the agent it'd be 3-5 days and I'd receive an email for collection. It's been 12 business days since drop off and I haven't heard anything. I contacted UKVI Sheffield to confirm they received my passport and got an automated response directing me to a website regarding document returns (which I had already reviewed but it doesn't include KPM, just about getting supporting material back).

Anyone have any experience using the service and how long did it take you?

Thanks so much!
I can only tell you that the passports in the USA don’t leave the USA and that VFS who is contracted by UKVI keeps the passports and the vignettes are placed at the VFS location.
Not sure if it’s the same for Canada
Have you gone back to the location where you dropped it off ? Or called them ?
Old Feb 12th 2019, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the reply and I appreciate your response with the info about the USA. Luckily enough I received an email today to pick up my passport and documents (I didn't opt for courier to save some $). It seems that the passport was sent to the British Consulate and shipped back to Toronto for pickup. During the application stage I didn't have to send anything directly; all documents were scanned at the VFS office.
Thanks again.

Last edited by lady7; Feb 12th 2019 at 8:18 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lady7
Hi, thanks for the reply and I appreciate your response with the info about the USA. Luckily enough I received an email today to pick up my passport and documents (I didn't opt for courier to save some $). It seems that the passport was sent to the British Consulate and shipped back to Toronto for pickup. During the application stage I didn't have to send anything directly; all documents were scanned at the VFS office.
Thanks again.
Great news !!
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

TorontotoGlasgow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there

Great to hear that the process went well! I also did the KPM service at the Toronto location and was just wondering what date the 30 day vignette started from. Was it from when a decision was made or closer to when you received your passport back. Just thinking if it took 12 business days, it doesn't leave much time if the time started from when you received that initial email.

Cheers
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

The vignette was post-dated 5 days after the date I received an email that my passport and documents were ready for pick-up. I received the e-mail on Feb 12, and could enter between Feb 17 and March 19. I had to pick up the BRP card before the vignette expired, so I entered in well before the expiration date. Hope that helps!
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

That is very helpful!! thanks for that info.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

jennamariespence is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also applying for a spousal Visa for the UK. I have submitted my application on the visa2UK website, and I am trying to make an appointment in Toronto but it says that there are not any appointments available. Did any of you have this problem? Or did you pay extra for the walk-in service? My immigration lawyer told me to book an appointment at another location like Vancouver, then select the walk in service for Toronto and just walk in. Just trying to wrap my head around all this so any input would be helpful!!

Thanks,

Jenna
Old Mar 26th 2019, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jenna

I didn't have any of those issues when applying. I submitted my application online on January 5 and was able to make an appointment for January 7 at the Toronto office.

A few pointers:

-When you arrive they will give you a stack of paper that divides up all your paper work. "Applicant information, sponsor information, accommodation information, bank statements, etc" So you do all of that while you wait for your appointment. Nothing can be stapled, so when you are preparing stuff at home use paper clips. Although I had an appointment time, I didn't get called for about 1.5 hours after my stated time.

- Settlement visas appear to be more technical than the other types of visa. Although there were 4 staff working, I was told I had to wait for one particular person. It was probably for the best as that staff member knew what he was doing and was very helpful.

- Everything you submit must be on a letter or A4 size piece of paper. Although we had original payslips, since they were on small form paper the person only took the photo copies.

- if you are looking for a place to get all the photocopying done, we went to a place at Bay and Avenue called Crocodile Print. To copy EVERYTHING -- passports, pay slips, bank statements and to print out application form, statement letter, etc. -- so well over 100 pieces of paper, they charged $15 which in my opinion was either a complete mistake or amazing price.

I used the Keep my Passport service and UKVI has informed me that a decision has been made and to wait for an email from the Toronto Visa Application Centre, so currently waiting for that email...
Old Mar 26th 2019, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for those tips, very helpful! Good luck with your decision, fingers crossed! PS- I am also planning on moving to Glasgow =)
Old Mar 26th 2019, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jennamariespence
I am also applying for a spousal Visa for the UK. I have submitted my application on the visa2UK website, and I am trying to make an appointment in Toronto but it says that there are not any appointments available. Did any of you have this problem? Or did you pay extra for the walk-in service? My immigration lawyer told me to book an appointment at another location like Vancouver, then select the walk in service for Toronto and just walk in. Just trying to wrap my head around all this so any input would be helpful!!

Thanks,

Jenna

I didn’t have any issues with getting appointments either, mine was in Nov 2018 and I didn’t have to wait more than 15 minutes to be seen.

Keep in mind if you walk in without an appointment on the manifest they’ll charge you $90.

If you’re planning to use the “keep my passport” service, take a photocopy of each page of your passport, including the front and back. I copied everything on a4 paper.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for replying! I looked at booking an appointment in other cities like Ottawa (obviously not convenient at all) and they only had appointments on offer that were within two days. I'm going to try to log back on first thing tomorrow morning to see if they opened up appointments for more days.

@Lady7 I hope that you had success with your visa!
Old Mar 26th 2019, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for replying! I looked at booking an appointment in other cities like Ottawa (obviously not convenient at all) and they only had appointments on offer that were within two days. I'm going to try to log back on first thing tomorrow morning to see if they opened up appointments for more days.

@Lady7 I hope that you had success with your visa!
it’s so strange that there aren’t any Toronto appointments! I’m hoping it is just a glitch and it’ll be fixed ASAP. Have you already been prompted to pay yet? Does it say you have 3 hours to book an apt or something like that?

Good luck and I hope it all goes well!

And thanks so much. I’m in England now and working for a company based in Glasgow!
Old Mar 26th 2019, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Yay! I'm glad your visa worked out for you. I studied in Glasgow when I was in college and this process wasn't nearly as complicated then =)

I haven't been prompted to pay yet, it is having me first book my appointment then I will pay after I believe. Going to get up bright and early tomorrow morning to give it another try.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 8:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I studied in Glasgow when I was in college and this process wasn't nearly as complicated then =)
Very different process though. Same going the other way, a study permit for Canada takes 6 weeks and is a short application, but a PR application takes a year or so and has endless requirements for paperwork, medical, etc, etc. Understandably there are a lot more hoops to jump through for a spousal visa.