Wikiposts

Just want to check I have this correct!

Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just want to check I have this correct!

I currently live in Canada (I'm a British citizen) with my Canadian partner. He sponsored me as his common law partner to obtain my PR. We subsequently had a child this year, born in Canada. Our plan is to return to the UK next year. Although he was born in Canada, his parents are both Portuguese. So he has a claim to Portuguese citizenship. We are in the process of obtaining his Portuguese passport. I'm assuming that once he has this , this is all we will need to relocate? I've looked on the ukba website and as far as I can tell, this is all he needs, and he is effectively there based on his EU nationality and not tied to me.

Have I missed anything?does anyone know what needs to be done in regard to our daughter. She has dual citizenship, I just wasn't sure whether I needed to apply for her British passport before we travel or can she travel into the upon her canadian one?

Thank you.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just want to check I have this correct!

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
I currently live in Canada (I'm a British citizen) with my Canadian partner. He sponsored me as his common law partner to obtain my PR. We subsequently had a child this year, born in Canada. Our plan is to return to the UK next year. Although he was born in Canada, his parents are both Portuguese. So he has a claim to Portuguese citizenship. We are in the process of obtaining his Portuguese passport. I'm assuming that once he has this , this is all we will need to relocate? I've looked on the ukba website and as far as I can tell, this is all he needs, and he is effectively there based on his EU nationality and not tied to me.

Have I missed anything?does anyone know what needs to be done in regard to our daughter. She has dual citizenship, I just wasn't sure whether I needed to apply for her British passport before we travel or can she travel into the upon her canadian one?

Thank you.
Might be better to get her a UK passport, then you will be able just to go through the EU nationals line at immigration and passport control, if she doesn't have a BP, then she would have to go via the other line.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Apply for your daughter's British passport before you go, make sure yours is still in date and so long as your partner has his Portuguese passport you will just be able to enter the UK as British/EEA citizens without any restrictions.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I hadn't even thought about bothering to get my daughters British passport, so I'm glad I checked. I was just going to apply when we got back to the UK, but I can see now that it makes sense for her to enter as a UK citizen, rather than on her Canadian passport.

Glad I checked!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 1:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
Thank you. I hadn't even thought about bothering to get my daughters British passport, so I'm glad I checked. I was just going to apply when we got back to the UK, but I can see now that it makes sense for her to enter as a UK citizen, rather than on her Canadian passport.
You should also check if your daughter is a Portuguese citizen, or if she is eligible for registration as a Portuguese citizen.

Your spouse may be eligible for British citizenship after a number of years (6, normally) living and working in the U.K. as a Portuguese citizen.