Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

jhipp1911's questions about British citizenship eligibility

jhipp1911's questions about British citizenship eligibility

Old Oct 26th 2018, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

jhipp1911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default jhipp1911's questions about British citizenship eligibility

Good Day All,

Hope Im in the right forum. This is my first time and hoping I can get some assistance. I would like to know if I am a British citizen by decent. I was born in St.Lucia (commonwealth country) in 1982. My father moved to the UK in 1956 through the Windrush Generation and as such became a British citizen, although he only recently obtained his British passport. My mother is St.Lucian and married my father in 1988, when I was 6 years old. All of my siblings live in the UK but since I was the last I stayed in St.Lucia. My father did make an application for me before but I was too old at the time so was denied. I go on vacation every year to visit my father and siblings, went to school there for 2 years and have a son who was born there.

Considering that my father was a British citizen at the time if my birth and i was born before December 31 1983 and my parents were married, does that make me a British citizen by decent? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks much
Jay
Old Oct 26th 2018, 5:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: jhipp1911's questions about British citizenship eligibility

You’ll need to find out when your father become a British citizen. He should have a certificate of naturalisation or registration stating this.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
You’ll need to find out when your father become a British citizen. He should have a certificate of naturalisation or registration stating this.
Thanks for your reply. He only got his citizenship certificate last month. However in 1979 he paid for his British passport but they lost his receipt at home office due to the fact that they had destroyed all paperwork from the Windrush Generation.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 6:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jhipp1911 View Post
Thanks for your reply. He only got his citizenship certificate last month. However in 1979 he paid for his British passport but they lost his receipt at home office due to the fact that they had destroyed all paperwork from the Windrush Generation.
St Lucia become an independent country in 1979. Before that date your father would’ve been British (Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies). After independence he would’ve become a St Lucian citizen. He did not become a British citizen until recently then you would not have a claim.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Oh ok. So the fact that he lived there for over 20 years and came during the Windrush Generation doesn't make him British?
Old Oct 26th 2018, 6:46 pm

Oh ok. So the fact that he lived there for over 20 years and came during the Windrush Generation doesn't make him British?
Not unless he made an application. This is the same issue that some other Windrushers have been having.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Not unless he made an application. This is the same issue that some other Windrushers have been having.
OH ok. So is there another route I can go through to gain some sort of leave to be with my family. May be ILR?
Old Oct 27th 2018, 1:26 am

OH ok. So is there another route I can go through to gain some sort of leave to be with my family. May be ILR?
Not if you were born and raised in St Lucia.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Ok thank you very much for the information