Japanese fiancee 2014

Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

RiverCity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Japanese fiancee 2014

Hi, sorry to bother everyone, I just have a question about what visa my Japanese fiancee should apply for. We have been engaged for 5 years preparing to live together. Im a british citizen and she is currently in Japan. I just wanted to make sure we are apply for the right thing as I have been told and read conflicting information.

We intend to get married and what to stay together in the UK. Am i right in reading that what we should be applying for it the Long team 'Applying to join family living permanently in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk at £851

This states that you use this to 'join your partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner)' and that on this she can only stay for 6 months "if you applied as an engaged partner or proposed civil partner" but we then have the option to extend the visa while she is in the UK through "apply to remain in the UK with family' https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family

I have been told by some people though that we should apply for the short term 'marriage visitor visa' and we can apply to change visas while she is here but this doesn't seem right to me reading through as it states that you apply for this if "you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership" and that you can not"extend your visa or switch to another visa"
https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa

I think the confusion might be because it seems some people call the 'Applying to join family living permanently in the UK' the marriage visa though maybe I have got this all completely wrong, any clarity would be appreciated as i tend to over analyse

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:39 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Japanese fiancee 2014

Originally Posted by RiverCity
Hi, sorry to bother everyone, I just have a question about what visa my Japanese fiancee should apply for. We have been engaged for 5 years preparing to live together. Im a british citizen and she is currently in Japan. I just wanted to make sure we are apply for the right thing as I have been told and read conflicting information.

We intend to get married and what to stay together in the UK. Am i right in reading that what we should be applying for it the Long team 'Applying to join family living permanently in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk at £851

This states that you use this to 'join your partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner)' and that on this she can only stay for 6 months "if you applied as an engaged partner or proposed civil partner" but we then have the option to extend the visa while she is in the UK through "apply to remain in the UK with family' https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family
The Home Office seems to have recently rearranged how they categorize some visas in their revamped instructions, along with the big reorganization of the website, but luckily the basics remain mostly the same.

What used to be called the "Fiance/e visa" is a settlement visa but only lasts six months. Within that six months your fiancée will arrive in the UK, the two of you must marry, & after getting proof of the marriage she should apply (inside the UK) for her spouse visa (Further Leave to Remain). In that 6 month period she can't work (or even volunteer), but once she receives her FLR she can legally work.
Originally Posted by RiverCity
I have been told by some people though that we should apply for the short term 'marriage visitor visa' and we can apply to change visas while she is here but this doesn't seem right to me reading through as it states that you apply for this if "you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership" and that you can not"extend your visa or switch to another visa"
https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa

I think the confusion might be because it seems some people call the 'Applying to join family living permanently in the UK' the marriage visa though maybe I have got this all completely wrong, any clarity would be appreciated as i tend to over analyse
You are correct. The so-called Marriage Visitor visa at the link you found is only for couples wanting a wedding in the UK, not to live there. It is not a Settlement visa.

The visa you want IS one of the Settlement visas, and leads to settlement (after the marriage). When she applies for it, your fiancée will chose visa type = Settlement. Then from among those Settlement visas selections, she'll choose whatever they're calling the Fiance/e visa now. It's fairly clear once you start the application.

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 17th 2014 at 6:42 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 7:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Ensure you meet all the requirements before applying as your fee is non-refundable. The financial requirements are pretty onerous.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Read this document carefully to see how you qualify under the financial requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...5/IDI6.doc.pdf
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

And think about saving yourself 800quid by getting formally married in Japan before you apply, then you only need 3 visas (with associated paperwork and fees) in 5 years rather than 4.
As long as you can show good evidence of an ongoing relationship then you shouldn't be considered a sham, even if you are planning the big family ceremony in the UK when you arrive. You also get a private and a public anniversary which can be fun in the future
Old Mar 18th 2014, 11:19 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
And think about saving yourself 800quid by getting formally married in Japan before you apply, then you only need 3 visas (with associated paperwork and fees) in 5 years rather than 4.
Yes, this is the alternative that many couples find less complicated--have the official ceremony in her home country (with you as a visitor there, if that's allowed), then once she has the proof of marriage in hand, and you will have hand-carried your necessary documents (your financial/salary proofs as well as the rest of the documents she'll need), she can put together the spouse visa application package and submit it then and there. Once it's approved, she comes to the UK on the spouse visa and is able to work straight away. Another ceremony can be held in the UK if wanted.

Some couples find this makes more sense than dealing with the "extra" 6-month Fiancee Visa, during which the fiancé/e cannot work & the wedding must occur. However, it all depends on each couple's needs & wants--for some, the Fiance/e visa is just what they need to "try out" life together in the UK in the run-up to the marriage ceremony, and without the FV they wouldn't have that chance....

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 18th 2014 at 11:22 am.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

RiverCity is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks WEBlue, this has cleared a lot of doubts and misunderstanding for me
Just looking through the financial requirements, The next big read for me right now. Thanks for everyone advice We have always thought we would marry in the UK but I we're are looking towards the possibility of Japan as an alternative instead recently, though I am currently living in the UK at the moment where i've been getting things ready for us to be together again. Apart from the financial side we were wondering what type of proof we need to show that we are really a couple? I read some people say before that they want things like photos of you together to show you have met? One person once told me that she would need my passport, this seems like an important document be apart from. We used to live together so we have document with our names on together and we met at least once a year since we have been apart and everyday by skype and phone, i'm guessing this is more the proof though im sure anything that helps is good