Irish Parents but born in BMH

Old Aug 9th 2018, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

jennred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Irish Parents but born in BMH

Hi

I wonder if someone can help me.

I am being sent on a wild goose chase with governments and different answers.

My parents were both born in Ireland, I was born in a British Military Hospital in Hannover.

We all moved to the UK in 1968 when I was 2 and have lived here ever since.

Are there any grounds for me to be a British Citizen if I was born in a British Military Hospital?

Many thanks in advance
Old Aug 9th 2018, 5:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish Parents but born in BMH

Presumably you only hold an Irish passport? Were your parents born in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland? Did either of them have British-born parents?
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

I’m trying to get my first Irish passport. Both parents were born in the Republic of Ireland as were my grandparents.

I am profoundly deaf so don’t have a driving licence. So I’m struggling with the photo identification for the Irish application. Hence wondering if being born in a British Military Hospital made any difference at all.

Thank you.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

So you’ve never held a passport in your own name and both your parents only hold Irish passports? I presume at least one of your parents (father?) was serving in HM Armed Forces when you were born?
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

That’s correct. My father was in the army which is why I was born in Germany.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Both parents are deceased but had Irish passports.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:38 pm

Unfortunately you don’t appear to have an automatic claim to British citizenship. You can apply to naturalise but I suspect obtaining your Irish passport would be easier and a lot cheaper.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your prompt replies.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennred
I’m trying to get my first Irish passport. Both parents were born in the Republic of Ireland as were my grandparents.

I am profoundly deaf so don’t have a driving licence. So I’m struggling with the photo identification for the Irish application. Hence wondering if being born in a British Military Hospital made any difference at all.

Thank you.
Re the photo identification. Possibly going to a notary or solicitor with your passport photos and getting them to certify them as a ' true likeness' of xxx -your name... plus accompanying letter from them explaining that you do not have a driving licence to provide as photo ID due to your deafness .
Old Aug 16th 2018, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Great idea. Thank you.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 10:22 am

You can hold a driving licence even if you are deaf. You can apply for your provisional licence to use as ID even if you have no intention of taking your theory or driving tests.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can hold a driving licence even if you are deaf. You can apply for your provisional licence to use as ID even if you have no intention of taking your theory or driving tests.
You could also consider a CitizenCard.