Wikiposts

Irish dual citizen - can spouse work in Ireland?

Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:42 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Irish dual citizen - can spouse work in Ireland?

Hi folks... my husband and I were considering Surinder Singh, and it looks very viable for us. It's much MORE viable if I can keep my job when we move to Ireland, because I can easily telecommute and if necessary cheaply fly out to our Aberdeen location for meetings. I understand it is probably possible for the US citizen spouse of an Irish citizen to legally work for a US company while temporarily resident in Ireland. I don't know how it would work, though. Do I actually need a type 4 stamp to work in Ireland, as a US citizen, for a US company, if my "permanent" work location is actually corporate HQ in Houston and I am paid in USD to a US bank?
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish dual citizen - can spouse work in Ireland?

You absolutely need to have the right visa/permit to be in Ireland. Start at http://www.inis.gov.ie

Especially so that you have flexibility if you need to change jobs, re-enter the country after travel, claim social benefits if necessary and become an Irish citizen in due course.

Also - obviously you'll need to pay Irish tax on any earnings from the U.S. although you can normally take a credit for U.S. taxes (you'll need to file a U.S. tax return anyway as an American citizen). You'll also need to consider the Social Security implications, both in the U.S. and Ireland, of being an employee of a U.S. entity.

Probably you should work it out with a tax professional, it may be better to structure things so that you are a self-employed contractor rather than an employee. But it's heavily fact dependent and you may want to wait a while before changing anything.

If your husband has a green card and isn't a U.S. citizen, he also needs to think about a plan for his green card - try to keep it, hand it in, or whether he would prefer to become a U.S. citizen before leaving the United States.