Ireland Via the UK, would this work?

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ireland Via the UK, would this work?

Hey everyone, I think we've decided rather than messing around with the UK Spouse Visa we're just going to return to family in Ireland. Now, I'm a British Citizen and my wife US, basically before we move we want to fly to the UK first to visit my grandparents for a couple of weeks and then go from the UK to Ireland where obviously we'll apply for her EU residency card, is this okay to do? It would basically be like going to the UK for a short holiday and then moving to Ireland after a week or two, it sounds a bit silly to ask because I'm sure there's no problem but I wanted to be 100% certain before actually making the move.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ireland Via the UK, would this work?

As a Brit you can move to Ireland and take your family with you under EU treaty rights. So moving from the US direct to Ireland is OK.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
As a Brit you can move to Ireland and take your family with you under EU treaty rights. So moving from the US direct to Ireland is OK.
Absolutely. But the OP shouldn't buy a one way flight if entering the UK first. Why not fly to Dublin and then take the vacation in the Uk?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Thanks for the reply, I understand US to Ireland is fine due to me being an EU citizen, but I wasn't 100% sure if there would be an Issue flying from the UK to Ireland, I presume we'd just go through the Non-EU passport line and tell them of our intentions (I've gone through the non-EU line on visits before with no issue)
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It would be better to fly from the US to the Republic of Ireland first to get an Irish rather than a UK entry stamp in your wife's passport as there are no immigration controls between the UK and the RoI.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It would be better to fly from the US to the Republic of Ireland first to get an Irish rather than a UK entry stamp in your wife's passport as there are no immigration controls between the UK and the RoI.
Ah damn, that's what I figured and I suppose the Irish Immigration would need to see an Irish stamp when looking at my wife's passport when we register her for the residency card
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryStampeder
Ah damn, that's what I figured and I suppose the Irish Immigration would need to see an Irish stamp when looking at my wife's passport when we register her for the residency card
Yep.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Yep.
Now what about if we went from France to Ireland, I'm sure since this is outside the common travel area they would stamp my wife's passport once we arrived in Ireland?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 1:30 pm

Now what about if we went from France to Ireland, I'm sure since this is outside the common travel area they would stamp my wife's passport once we arrived in Ireland?
Correct.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to the couple of weeks visiting grandparents in the UK? Do they have a home in France too? If not, just fly to Dublin, get the entry stamp there, then visit the UK.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What happened to the couple of weeks visiting grandparents in the UK? Do they have a home in France too? If not, just fly to Dublin, get the entry stamp there, then visit the UK.
No, I would literally just fly from the UK to France in order to get a stamp going into Dublin.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 3:51 pm
Born again atheist

No, I would literally just fly from the UK to France in order to get a stamp going into Dublin.
Am I being mislead by your username? There are cheap flights on Westjet from YYC to DUB via YYZ offered at a one way fare of under $C500 (not until the end of April though). You can't use a one way if accompanied by your US spouse if you go to the UK first and then the Uk-France-Dublin leg would probably cost more than the one-stop to Dublin.

https://book.westjet.com/SSW2010/WSW...execution=e1s1