International travel while awaiting FLR decision

Old Jun 15th 2022, 7:08 am
Just Joined

RoqVodster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International travel while awaiting FLR decision

My FLR application has now been submitted including biometrics (standard processing). Thank you for the advice in advance of applying.

Unfortunately I've since found out that my elderly grandparents in New Zealand both now have Covid after evading it all this time and taking all precautions, and I need to prepare for the worst including, potentially, short-notice travel to New Zealand. My current BRP expires 18/07/22, and I still have my current NZ passport. A few questions - and sorry but I'm trying to cover all scenarios:
  1. Can I leave the U.K. at all while awaiting my FLR decision? If so:
  2. Can I leave and return before my current BRP expires on 18/07/22?
  3. Can I leave before my current BRP expires on 18/07/22, but return after it has expired but before a decision on my application has been made?
  4. After my current BRP has expired but I am still awaiting a decision, can I leave and return to the U.K.?
  5. Finally, through some miracle that standard processing in this case only takes a few weeks rather than months, can I leave under one of the scenarios above (i.e. before or after my current BRP expires), and a (hopefully positive) decision is made while I am out of the country, and then return to the U.K.?

Any advice on the above would be appreciated, including if there are factors I haven't considered. Of course I hope I don't need this advice at all, and I had otherwise prepared to not travel internationally until a decision had been made. But I need to prepare (and let family know) especially if the answer is that I can't travel at all. Thank you all in advance.
Old Jun 15th 2022, 8:47 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International travel while awaiting FLR decision

You can leave but your application will automatically be withdrawn. As such you will lose your fees and have to start over on your return. If you do leave and don’t return on or before 18 July then you’ll need to start the entire spousal route again from scratch and apply for a new spouse visa from New Zealand.
Old Jun 15th 2022, 8:58 am
Just Joined

RoqVodster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International travel while awaiting FLR decision

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can leave but your application will automatically be withdrawn. As such you will lose your fees and have to start over on your return. If you do leave and don’t return on or before 18 July then you’ll need to start the entire spousal route again from scratch and apply for a new spouse visa from New Zealand.
Thank you very much for the prompt response. I definitely don't want to risk that, so it's good to get a clear answer.