British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Indefinite Leave to Remain - savings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/indefinite-leave-remain-savings-934671/)

DernierVirage Sep 6th 2020 9:00 am

Indefinite Leave to Remain - savings

I am a bit embarrassed asking this, but I will feel more reassured to have your replies! My question is about the savings route to satisfy the financial requirement at the Indefinite Leave to Remain (five year) stage. I had always assumed that the minimum was £62,500 but having read the full financial requirement details on the document available on government website I see that for ILR the minimum amount is only £34,600 (£16,000 + £18,600), clearly a significant change compared the the limits at earlier stages. I was so surprised, I did a search here but I couldn't find anything. I know I am asking the obvious, but is my understanding correct, or have I missed something.

Thanks a lot.

Policy reader Sep 9th 2020 12:01 pm

Re: Indefinite Leave to Remain - savings

Originally Posted by DernierVirage (Post 12906426)
I am a bit embarrassed asking this, but I will feel more reassured to have your replies! My question is about the savings route to satisfy the financial requirement at the Indefinite Leave to Remain (five year) stage. I had always assumed that the minimum was £62,500 but having read the full financial requirement details on the document available on government website I see that for ILR the minimum amount is only £34,600 (£16,000 + £18,600), clearly a significant change compared the the limits at earlier stages. I was so surprised, I did a search here but I couldn't find anything. I know I am asking the obvious, but is my understanding correct, or have I missed something.

Thanks a lot.

You are correct what you have actually learned from the guidance, because the reminder after deducting the £16000 isn't divided by 2.5 at the ILR stage. But still I will suggest you to keep reading & corroborating it with the official guidance until you will actually apply because the rules or guidance might change which although seldomly happens.

DernierVirage Sep 9th 2020 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Policy reader (Post 12907722)
You are correct what you have actually learned from the guidance, because the reminder after deducting the £16000 isn't divided by 2.5 at the ILR stage. But still I will suggest you to keep reading & corroborating it with the official guidance until you will actually apply because the rules or guidance might change which although seldomly happens.

Thanks a lot. I have always had the figure of £62,500 in my mind, not least because I have so often read here that the financial requirements are the same at every stage. I didn't in fact believe it until I checked it and even then I still had trouble accepting it !!!!

BritInParis Sep 13th 2020 11:53 pm

£62,500 is the correct figure for the initial spouse visa application and FLR but you're right that it's £34,600 for ILR.

DernierVirage Sep 14th 2020 9:25 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12909625)
£62,500 is the correct figure for the initial spouse visa application and FLR but you're right that it's £34,600 for ILR.

Thanks for adding your confirmation to the thread!!......I don't ever recall this being mentioned anywhere on the forums, which is why I had the well-known figure of £62,500 in my mind. It is a huge difference over the requirements at the first two stages.

mavaas11 Sep 14th 2020 4:20 pm

Yh DernierVillage, I researched this a while back and I came to the same conclusion of £34,600. If BritInParis says it, then its gospel. but yh huge relief, though I just applied for my spouses entry clearence, so I'm far away yet. I checked some solicitors/lawyers pages and they said the same.

If ever in doubt ask a forum, or cold call some local solicitors etc

Good luck!!

DernierVirage Sep 14th 2020 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by mavaas11 (Post 12909855)
Yh DernierVillage, I researched this a while back and I came to the same conclusion of £34,600. If BritInParis says it, then its gospel. but yh huge relief, though I just applied for my spouses entry clearence, so I'm far away yet. I checked some solicitors/lawyers pages and they said the same.

If ever in doubt ask a forum, or cold call some local solicitors etc

Good luck!!

Thanks......yes, my wife's ILR is early next year and we will go for the savings route, a lot easier than using my employment income in terms of paperwork. It's unusual to have a pleasant surprise when it comes to double checking the rules, but this was great to have confirmed!! Good luck with your application.....