Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Indefinite Leave to Remain Form or Settlement (spouse) visa?

Indefinite Leave to Remain Form or Settlement (spouse) visa?

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

mumof5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Indefinite Leave to Remain Form or Settlement (spouse) visa?

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Hi JAJ.

Sorry to break in here with a cheeky question but do you have any idea if it's possible to get my UK ILR which I've had since I was 3 (I am now 34) renewed from overseas? I understand it will lose its validity if I stay in Australia longer than 2 years.

I rang the Canberra UK consulate but the girl was a bit flummoxed and keep putting me on hold. In the end she said that she wasn't sure but didn't think I could get it renewed in Australia or by going for a holiday to the UK but only if I went back to live in the UK permanently before the 2 years is up.

Not sure who to ask since Canberra weren't much help and I dont want to be turned away at the airport if I try to go back.

Thx
Hi Jaj and Jools
I am also worried about this my husband has ILR and we are returning to the UK next month, he has to renew his passport in Malaysia and his ILR runs out on July 26th I don't know if it's best to renew the ILR at British High Com in Malaysia or wait untill we return to the U.K We arrive in the UK on the 20th of July. Oh forgot to say we have only been in Australia for a year.
If you can help Jaj what would you advise. Thanks in advance.
Julie
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof5
Hi Jaj and Jools
I am also worried about this my husband has ILR and we are returning to the UK next month, he has to renew his passport in Malaysia and his ILR runs out on July 26th

What exactly do you mean by that? How long is it since he left the U.K.?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:19 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Look at the information for returning residents at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
Thanks JAJ
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
What exactly do you mean by that? How long is it since he left the U.K.?
He left the UK on the 21st of June 2007 so he hasn't been out for more than 2 years but because his Malaysian passport runs on on the 26th of July so does his ILR stamp. I don't know if we should renew it in Malaysia (if that is possible) or do it when back in the UK we arrive back on the 20th or there abouts. We are going back to live not just for a holiday.
Thanks Julie.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof5
He left the UK on the 21st of June 2007 so he hasn't been out for more than 2 years but because his Malaysian passport runs on on the 26th of July so does his ILR stamp. I don't know if we should renew it in Malaysia (if that is possible) or do it when back in the UK we arrive back on the 20th or there abouts. We are going back to live not just for a holiday.
Thanks Julie.
My Canadian OH has ILR and when he enters the UK he just shows the expired passport with the stamp on it as well as his current passport. So far that hasn't been a problem.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:17 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
My Canadian OH has ILR and when he enters the UK he just shows the expired passport with the stamp on it as well as his current passport. So far that hasn't been a problem.
When I looked at the website JAJ recommended somewhere it said that it's fine to show old passport with the ILR stamp if you haven't had it transferred to new so he should be fine. I always showed my previous one in the past and never had a problem.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Elaine and Jools,
He should be OK then, I have just been worrying it was a pain to get the ILR and I was worrying he would lose it having been in Australia for a year. Oh well one less thing to worry about then.
Thanks.
Julie.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

jadm51 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AudsFrmSA
Just been reading somewhere else on the internet that if I (British Citizen living in South Africa) have been married to my husband (South African Citizen) for more than 4years (which we have) then instead of applying for the Settlement (Spouse) Visa, we could apply for the ILR - is this true? This seems to be valid for longer than the Settlement Visa and I'm wondering what would be the best option Settlement Visa or ILR and why? Hoping someone can answer my questions. Thanks
when we called the UK embassy here in the states inquiring about my USA wife getting a UK visa we were told if we have been married 4 years or more and apply her for ILR she will automaticaly be given a settlement visa.
---hopes its true!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:28 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jadm51
when we called the UK embassy here in the states inquiring about my USA wife getting a UK visa we were told if we have been married 4 years or more and apply her for ILR she will automaticaly be given a settlement visa.
---hopes its true!
One suggestion for you - have a look at uk-yankee.com. It's likely that, not unlike the useless USCIS 'help' line, you might have been given dud info on that score.

In order to qualify for ILR, your wife will need to sit the 'Knowledge of Life in the UK' test which can only be done in the UK at this time. Petally has covered this subject, briefly, in her post #13.

Best of luck though. I hope you are able to get yourself and your wife to the UK in the near future.