Immigration lawyers recommendation

Old Nov 21st 2022, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Nah647 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration lawyers recommendation

Hi all,
I’m looking for recommendation for UK immigration lawyers either in the States or in the UK.
I have contacted about two or three via Google search but after telling them a summary of my case I get turned down.

A little background,I applied for my first British passport before 18 ( Born in Pakistan in1991 to aBritish father; parent were married at time of birth). My parents moved to California before I was born, and I currently hold American citizenship.

I was denied because my father was not born in the UK and was classified as decent( found this out by a subject access request). My father lived in the UK before I was born for 17 years.

When my parents received the denial letter it was the end of the matter for them, they didn’t seek any help on the matter. But I really wanted my citizenship but had no resources to contest my rejection. Fast forward twelve years, and I reached out to Philip and Gamble for a status trace, and in their report the mentioned I was eligible if I applied before I was 18…….which I did.

Now here is the issue, I no longer have the letter of denial ( my mom tore it up) but I do have the receipt for my application.

I’m just trying to find a lawyer to fight my case,
Because I believe I have the right to citizenship by;
”3(2) Registration – if you were born outside the UK to a British citizen by descent parent, and that parent had lived in the UK for three years before
your birth”

Sorry for the long post and Thanks in advance !
Old Nov 21st 2022, 11:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration lawyers recommendation

How old are you now?
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
How old are you now?
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 10:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nah647
Sorry, you did say you were born in 1991. That being the case I’m afraid you missed the boat. The application to register as a British citizen would need to have been lodged before you turned 18. Do you know exactly how your father become a British citizen?
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Through his dad, I don’t know how exactly. My dad was born in Uganda and moved to the UK in 1973.
Unfortunately my parents were not well informed to register me, I’m just angry and annoyed that I have to pay for their mistakes.
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 2:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The application to register as a British citizen would need to have been lodged before you turned 18.
BiP, does it make any difference that that did happen and the OP was incorrectly refused when s/he applied when under 18 (from what s/he has said)? Is there any way of appealing that even all these years later?
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nah647
Through his dad, I don’t know how exactly. My dad was born in Uganda and moved to the UK in 1973.
Unfortunately my parents were not well informed to register me, I’m just angry and annoyed that I have to pay for their mistakes.
You mentioned a Subject Access Request letter - can you quote what it says in relation to your father’s status?
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
BiP, does it make any difference that that did happen and the OP was incorrectly refused when s/he applied when under 18 (from what s/he has said)? Is there any way of appealing that even all these years later?
The application was for a passport rather than citizenship so unless the OP had an automatic claim to citizenship then it was correctly refused.
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The application was for a passport rather than citizenship so unless the OP had an automatic claim to citizenship then it was correctly refused.
Oh bum. I was hoping there might be some way of appealing that for the OP's sake, didn't read it properly and thought it was a citizenship app. Thanks BiP.
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Oh bum. I was hoping there might be some way of appealing that for the OP's sake, didn't read it properly and thought it was a citizenship app. Thanks BiP.
So I’m basically at a dead end then?
This is so frustrating, I’m annoyed that my parents didn’t have the common sense to verify the information that they received. They were told I’d get automatic Citizenship through my dad but didn’t brother confirming it.
The even more frustrating thing is that they still do same today, and they show zero remorse for their mistake.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses, I truly appreciate it.