British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Immigration consultant/ lawyer in Calgary, AB (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/immigration-consultant-lawyer-calgary-ab-929621/)

Vaseepoo Dec 3rd 2019 4:29 am

Immigration consultant/ lawyer in Calgary, AB

Has anyone used an immigration consultant or lawyer in Calgary, AB they would recommend? Just looking for some help and oversight with a family visa application.

TIA

BritInParis Dec 3rd 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Immigration consultant/ lawyer in Calgary, AB

A family visa for the UK or Canada?

Vaseepoo Dec 3rd 2019 12:39 pm

Good clarification, a U.K. visa for a Canadian.

spouse of scouse Dec 3rd 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Vaseepoo (Post 12773170)
Good clarification, a U.K. visa for a Canadian.

I'd advise you to ask your questions here, there's some very experienced and knowledgeable BE members who could probably tell you all you need to know, and you'd save the cost of an immigration adviser/lawyer.

Vaseepoo Dec 3rd 2019 2:11 pm

Well I guess question number one then is is getting a lawyer or a professional service to do an application on your behalf a good use of money or is the process and forms simple enough they are really unnecessary?
Also any top tips prior to starting the process?

TIA 😊

spouse of scouse Dec 3rd 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Vaseepoo (Post 12773228)
Well I guess question number one then is is getting a lawyer or a professional service to do an application on your behalf a good use of money or is the process and forms simple enough they are really unnecessary?

TIA � ����

Most of us did our own spouse visa applications successfully - is that the visa you're applying for? If you're relatively literate and proficient in English, which you obviously are, you should be able to complete the application yourself. It's been described quite correctly as a 'tick box exercise'. Gathering all the documents and evidence you need is what takes the most time, and you'd have to do that even if you had an immigration adviser. People often find as they're going through the application that there's a question or two that doesn't quite make sense to them, so they ask here for clarification.

First up, how are you going to meet the financial requirement? If it's the spouse visa you/your partner is applying for, are you married? If not, how long have you been living together (cohabiting)? Just a couple of questions to get you moving in the right direction, as I'm not sure how familiar you are with the spouse visa requirements.

SanDiegogirl Dec 3rd 2019 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Vaseepoo (Post 12773228)

TIA � ����

What process? What visa are you looking for? From your earlier post I'd reckon a spouse visa for your wife to live in the UK? Please confirm......

Vaseepoo Apr 5th 2020 2:57 am

Thank you for your assistance, I sincerely appreciate it.
To clarify I am a British citizen, born and raised in London but I moved to Calgary,AB 10 years ago. I met my partner here (He is Canadian) and have had two children (both dual citizens with British and Canadian passports). We are now looking at moving back to London to live in approximately 10 months- 1 year time line (assuming the word has stopped being the crazy place it is right now ha-ha). I think a spouse application is the best fit from the preliminary research I have done, after an initial look at the website I just got overwhelmed and confused and therefore made this post. If you think this is achievable to successfully complete myself I am so glad to hear that. Is there any pitfalls to avoid? Suggested first steps?

First up, how are you going to meet the financial requirement? We would like to all move together and my partner is a Director of Finance with no network in London himself so we think a job offer prior to the move is unlikely so we have saved up a little over $300k CAD for the move. We have put this in a joint account with his mother so we can access it when we are over there if necessary. Is that a good idea? Would the fact his mother's name is on statement or account effect the validity of the document as back up for the application?
If it's the spouse visa you/your partner is applying for, are you married? Yes we are married and have been for quiet a while now.

TIA!

Vaseepoo Apr 5th 2020 4:50 am

One specific question I do have is the online forms seem to ask for a date of intended arrival. Does this mean he could apply for the his visa now and it would be post-dated to be valid for our intended month of entry (Jan/Feb 2021) or should I enter the information and then hold onto the application until closer to the time of departure?

BritInParis Apr 5th 2020 10:15 pm

If you're planning on meeting the financial requirements solely through cash savings then that money needs to be held for at least six months in either your name, your husband's name or jointly. No-one else should have control so I would remove it from the joint account with your mother-in-law and place it in an account which only you and/or your husband have access to.

You can put a entry date a maximum of six months into the future on your application form but your visa will only be issued with a entry date a maximum of three months in advance of its grant date. I would therefore apply three months in advance of your planned entry date.

Vaseepoo Apr 9th 2020 4:59 am

Ok that is fantastic feedback thank you very much.
That’s great gives us lots of time to gather our supporting documents then and be ready to hit send!

Brightongirl Jun 3rd 2020 7:32 pm

Regarding documents needed to support a "genuine and subsisting relationship," such as utility bills in joint names etc.:

1/ Do we need 2 years of evidence in other words 24 consecutive joint credit card statements plus 24 consecutive joint utility bills plus 24 consecutive joint phone bills etc.?
(My situation is very similar to Vaseeoo except that we are coming from the US and this is the issue I am most confused about. We are married & applying for a spouse visa.)

2/ Does a marriage certificate count as one supporting document?

3/ Does a life insurance policy showing the other as beneficiary count as one supporting document?

4/ Does a mortgage statement for an investment property in joint names count as one supporting document?

Without a checklist it's hard to anticipate what will be required when you just don't know what's on the application that I'll be filling out a year from now. We don't have much else that's in joint names.

SanDiegogirl Jun 3rd 2020 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Brightongirl (Post 12861624)
Regarding documents needed to support a "genuine and subsisting relationship," such as utility bills in joint names etc.:

1/ Do we need 2 years of evidence in other words 24 consecutive joint credit card statements plus 24 consecutive joint utility bills plus 24 consecutive joint phone bills etc.?
(My situation is very similar to Vaseeoo except that we are coming from the US and this is the issue I am most confused about. We are married & applying for a spouse visa.)

2/ Does a marriage certificate count as one supporting document?

3/ Does a life insurance policy showing the other as beneficiary count as one supporting document?

4/ Does a mortgage statement for an investment property in joint names count as one supporting document?

Without a checklist it's hard to anticipate what will be required when you just don't know what's on the application that I'll be filling out a year from now. We don't have much else that's in joint names.

1, In your situation you do not need 24 of anything. That is a requirement for either unmarried partner visa or Further leave to remain after being in the UK on an initial visa. YOU are applying for an initial spouse visa.
In a previous post you have been told what documentation shows a genuine relationship

2/3/4 Yes to all of them.

Attaching your post to an old one titled Immigrant lawyer in Calgary, when your questions is regarding documentation of an initial spouse visa is not a good idea.
You should start your own thread or just put additional questions as to applying for a spouse visa onto your current threads.

Brightongirl Jun 3rd 2020 8:23 pm

I genuinely am so sorry to be asking so many questions, if they are overlapping. I am sobbing right now because I'm so desperate to go back home and just want our application to be approved. I was asked in a one of my previous posts to go back back through all the posts to glean information so that's what I've been doing all day and I'm just trying my best. I appreciate all your help.

spouse of scouse Jun 3rd 2020 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Brightongirl (Post 12861638)
I genuinely am so sorry to be asking so many questions, if they are overlapping. I am sobbing right now because I'm so desperate to go back home and just want our application to be approved. I was asked in a one of my previous posts to go back back through all the posts to glean information so that's what I've been doing all day and I'm just trying my best. I appreciate all your help.

Number one - stop sobbing! You have tons of time to get this sorted. Number two - would you like all your threads/posts combined into one? I'd advise it, because if they're all over the place you're going to find it impossible to find them in one year. No one's memory is that good!