I live in us and my bf lives in uk need advice

Old Jun 14th 2019, 6:56 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Victorriiaaaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I live in us and my bf lives in uk need advice

So I'm a single mom living in america and my bf lives in the uk, he's come to meet me and we have plenty of proof we are together and in love, he also makes more than enough to sponsor me however would he have to sponsor my child too which isn't even his child? Would I be able to move to England and get a job? Would we have to get married. What steps would i have to take to live in the uk with him?
Victorriiaaaa is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 7:07 pm
  #2  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,057
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I live in us and my bf lives in uk need advice

Yes, he would also have to sponsor your child, but the bigger problem is whether the child's father will allow the child to move out of the US. If the child's father objects you may have an insurmountable problem.

Assuming that the issue of moving your child out of the US is acheiveable then, under the circumstances you have described, you would either need to be already married (for a spouse visa), or need to be prepared to get married very soon after arriving the UK (for a fiancée visa). Getting married first and going straight for a spouse visa is cheaper and requires fewer steps.

On a spouse visa you would have unrestricted rights to seek work, though what work you might obtain would depend on what experience and qualifications you have, and the extent to which those qualifications are recognized.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 14th 2019 at 7:10 pm.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 7:19 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Victorriiaaaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I live in us and my bf lives in uk need advice

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Yes, he would also have to sponsor your child, but the bigger problem is whether the child's father will allow the child to move out of the US. If the child's father objects you may have an insurmountable problem.

Assuming that the issue of moving your child out of the US is acheiveable then, under the circumstances you have described, you would either need to be already married (for a spouse visa), or need to be prepared to get married very soon after arriving the UK (for a fiancée visa). Getting married first and going straight for a spouse visa is cheaper and requires fewer steps.

On a spouse visa you would have unrestricted rights to seek work, though what work you might obtain would depend on what experience and qualifications you have, and the extent to which those qualifications are recognized.
The father has no rights he is not on the birth certificate and paternity has never been established
Victorriiaaaa is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 7:33 pm
  #4  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,057
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I live in us and my bf lives in uk need advice

Originally Posted by Victorriiaaaa View Post
The father has no rights he is not on the birth certificate and paternity has never been established
That still might not be sufficient, and IMO it won't be sufficient. Even a long term absent father can, legally, come forward to claim and establish paternal rights at any time until the child is 18.

As a minimum you should get legal advice from a lawyer who is expert in family law, and you will probably need a court order allowing the child to leave the US. There is a good chance that the court will require paternity to be established and the father given the opportunity to appear or be represented in court.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 9:07 pm
  #5  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 14,683
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I live in us and my bf lives in uk need advice

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
That still might not be sufficient, and IMO it won't be sufficient. Even a long term absent father can, legally, come forward to claim and establish paternal rights at any time until the child is 18.

As a minimum you should get legal advice from a lawyer who is expert in family law, and you will probably need a court order allowing the child to leave the US. There is a good chance that the court will require paternity to be established and the father given the opportunity to appear or be represented in court.
I would have to disagree on this point. If no claim to paternity has been established then he’ll have as much luck in the courts as you or I.
BritInParis is online now  
Old Jun 15th 2019, 12:19 am
  #6  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 11,062
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I live in us and my bf lives in uk need advice

Originally Posted by Victorriiaaaa View Post
So I'm a single mom living in america and my bf lives in the uk, he's come to meet me and we have plenty of proof we are together and in love, he also makes more than enough to sponsor me however would he have to sponsor my child too which isn't even his child? Would I be able to move to England and get a job? Would we have to get married. What steps would i have to take to live in the uk with him?
As you and your boyfriend don't meet the requirement of living together for at least 2 years, you'd need to marry and apply for a spouse visa. You'd also need to apply for a visa for your child. Your partner would need to sponsor both of you. https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

In order to sponsor you and your child, your partner would need to have been employed for at least 6 months in a position earning a minimum of £22,400 a year. Alternatively, the financial requirement can be met through cash savings (around £78,000 for a spouse and child)

You would need to provide evidence to the Home Office that your relationship is genuine and that you have accommodation in the UK. Your initial visa fees would be £1,523 for you and the same again for your child. There's also an International Health Surcharge of £400 per year. After 2.5 years you'd need to apply for a 'further leave to remain' visa at around the same cost, and after 5 years apply for an 'indefinite leave to remain' visa (currently around £2,000). After than you could immediately apply for British citizenship.

As the holder of a spouse visa you are able to work immediately on arrival in the UK.

Best of luck.




spouse of scouse is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.