I am white 'Egyptian'. Am I English?

Old Jan 8th 2017, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

skyhigh247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am white 'Egyptian'. Am I English?

Hello!

I have a little surprisingly case. I am white male living in Egypt. My father is Arab but my grandmothers siblings are white, fortunately I got the white skin color gene and I suspect that one of the English soldiers married an Egyptian woman as Britain occupied Egypt for more than 32 years.

Some English soldiers lived in Egyptian villages near to my grandmother area for a while and most of my grand mother’s family members have white skin although all Egyptian are tanned. Does that mean I am English? If yes, how can I obtain the British citizenship?

Thank you so much for reading.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am white 'Egyptian'. Am I English?

Genetics is not enough. You need documentary evidence ! UK Govt has published this guide

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen/y

Last edited by scot47; Jan 8th 2017 at 7:01 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Genetics is not enough. You need documentary evidence ! UK Govt has published this guide

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen/y

What kind of documents? How to validate them?
Old Jan 8th 2017, 7:47 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyhigh247
Some English soldiers lived in Egyptian villages near to my grandmother area for a while and most of my grand mother’s family members have white skin although all Egyptian are tanned. Does that mean I am English? If yes, how can I obtain the British citizenship?
Even if you did have the documentation that your grandfather was potentially British, I'm 90% sure that British by descent only goes down one generation i.e, your mother/father - so you would not be eligible.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Use the points listed on that link I gave you.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 9:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your grandfather was born in the UK and was serving in the British Army at the time of your relevant parent's birth then you would potentially have a claim to British citizenship. You would however need to provide the relevant birth and marriage certificates.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If your grandfather was born in the UK and was serving in the British Army at the time of your relevant parent's birth then you would potentially have a claim to British citizenship. You would however need to provide the relevant birth and marriage certificates.
Providing those documents is absolutely impossible as arrival of my white grand father might happened about +100 years ago. So I am thinking to take a DNA test first and compare the results to the general genetic chromosomes properties of the English people, if I happen to be British by genetics I might consider moving to Britain for good.

However I am still wondering, would the government officials accept a blood test as a piece of evidence instead of birth and marriage documents?
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Providing those documents is absolutely impossible as arrival of my white grand father might happened about +100 years ago. So I am thinking to take a DNA test first and compare the results to the general genetic chromosomes properties of the English people, if I happen to be British by genetics I might consider moving to Britain for good.

However I am still wondering, would the government officials accept a blood test as a piece of evidence instead of birth and marriage documents?
No, this wouldn't be acceptable evidence. Many people have traced their ancestors back much further than 100 years ago.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Providing those documents is absolutely impossible as arrival of my white grand father might happened about +100 years ago.
suppose that you have your own birth certificate, that on that certificate are your parents details. From that you could get each of their birth certificates that would show their relevent parents (your grandparents) details

Working backwards like so many folks do having both the parents & grandparents details, date of & place of birth... this is your starting point & no, a DNA will not surfice

So, lets suppose your grandfather was UK born, once you have his birth certificate (easily obtainable once you know his name & place of birth) you can come back to the thread with his name, place of birth in the UK etc & I'm sure that someone here will try to find if he served in the British army in Egypt
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by not2old
suppose that you have your own birth certificate, that on that certificate are your parents details. From that you could get each of their birth certificates that would show their relevent parents (your grandparents) details

Working backwards like so many folks do having both the parents & grandparents details, date of & place of birth... this is your starting point & no, a DNA will not surfice

So, lets suppose your grandfather was UK born, once you have his birth certificate (easily obtainable once you know his name & place of birth) you can come back to the thread with his name, place of birth in the UK etc & I'm sure that someone here will try to find if he served in the British army in Egypt
Good idea. I went back four generations using the names my mother told me in which most of them are white people, but now I'm stuck at the 4th female generation. Which parent should I check further male or female?

And I am not a troll. As matter of fact I find it funny as it's truly a unique case. lol
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

NO ....
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea. I went back four generations using the names my mother told me in which most of them are white people, but now I'm stuck at the 4th female generation. Which parent should I check further male or female?

And I am not a troll. As matter of fact I find it funny as it's truly a unique case. lol
"White" is not a qualifying category. DNA testing (most likely) won't help you.

What nationality were these ancestors for whom you have found documentation?

The British were not the only white people in Egypt over the last couple of hundred years...
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:51 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea. I went back four generations using the names my mother told me in which most of them are white people, but now I'm stuck at the 4th female generation.

Which parent should I check further male or female?
White is of no consequence, stick with if your grandfather was born in the UK, the father to your mother or dad to try to get grandfathers birth certificate

As already posted in post #6 & post# 9 its the Grandfather (that you mentioned in your OP) with the proof of he being born in the UK & that he served in the British army at the time of your mother/dads birth if that ever happened, then you may qualify for British citizenship.

Go with that Grandfather that was born in the UK that may have served in the British army. Follow that trail, get your mother or dad & grandfather (born in the UK) birth certificates & start with that, then come back to see if someone can help find if he served in the British army in Egypt

Last edited by not2old; Jan 10th 2017 at 1:01 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Yes I'm already trying to trace him but the question is, should I get the birth certificates for male or female grandparent (of the farthest white person who died about 70 years ago). If I check both, this situation will direct me to another ENDLESS family trees. So I am really stuck here, any help?

Last edited by skyhigh247; Jan 10th 2017 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I'm already trying to trace him but the question is, should I get the birth certificates for male or female grandparent (of the farthest white person who died about 70 years ago). If I check both, this situation will direct me to another family tree. So I am really stuck here, any help?
Why don't you get both birth certificates and research both sides?

I must say I find the wording you use in your posts odd. For a start, 'white' has nothing to do with Britishness. I'm white but I'm not British. Similarly, many 3rd and 4th generation British citizens don't have white skin, but are just as British as their paler counterparts.

I also don't understand why you consider it 'lucky' that you have white skin. It doesn't matter what colour your skin is, you either have British ancestry, or you don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.