Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Husband Has US Visa/greencard is our marriage now filed equally in the UK?

Husband Has US Visa/greencard is our marriage now filed equally in the UK?

Old Nov 27th 2014, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Truwinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Husband Has US Visa/greencard is our marriage now filed equally in the UK?

I know that before I tried to enquire if he had previous marriages, and they told me I couldn't, but we have successfully filed and received his greencard and he has a visa for US. He is being kind of sketchy now...so am wondering if our marriage is filed in the UK now, his interview was there and all the info was transferred before it was approved. I just want to know my rights just in case.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband Has US Visa/greencard is our marriage now filed equally in the UK?

With all due respect, I'm not sure what you question is - can you elaborate?
Old Nov 27th 2014, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Husband Has US Visa/greencard is our marriage now filed equally in the UK?

If our marriage license is now filed there by way of the process of him getting a spousal visa here. I know that I was told before that he had to file it. He works there, and he mostly comes here, so We've never registered our marriage license from the US. Does that make more sense or no?
Old Nov 27th 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to register a marriage license. I assume you married in the US? He is British? And you are sponsoring hm in the US?

I'm still confused what it is you want to know.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 10:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Are you worried that your husband married you bigamously? If you married in the US then the British Foreign Office used to offer a service where you could deposit your foreign marriage certificate with them and it would be recorded with the General Register Office in the UK. That service was discontinued last year however.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...overseas-brits

The US Embassy is unlikely to have been able to check independently whether your husband was still married or not. Did they require him to apply for a Certificate of No Impediment as part of his application?
Old Nov 28th 2014, 1:09 am
Just Joined

I don't recall that in particular, although I had to prove that I had been divorced. I think maybe because paperwork originated here, and was for his rights here. I just feel un empowered, because I truly don't know what is what over there, he works over there the majority of the time. I just want the marriage to be recorded in each place respectibly, when I looked into it prior to the approval, it was like I had no power, I couldn't find out if there was a prior marriage, or a current one, and that the marriage that was entered to here, had to be filed by him.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

When my husband and I married in the USA in 1993, when we applied for the marriage license (in North Carolina), both of us had to answer a question on the form about 'being free to marry'. We also had to show divorce papers. Whether that is still required, or required in all states I don't know.

Again, with all due respect, it seems that you have married someone that you do not really know. I hope you do realize that you are responsible for him for 10 years in the US?

Is he British by birth? Has he lived in the UK his entire life? It would take some research, but a wealth of birth, marriage and death information is available on line, but access may require a subscription to something like ancestry.com.

I'm still not clear why you think you need the marriage to be recorded in the UK. It doesn't give you any 'rights' here.

Google can be your friend, and in some cases you can find personal information on someone, but it may take some time, and include searches with partial names, and going past the first couple of pages.

We knew of one person who was married (and had been for years) in his home country, went to Germany and married bigamously, left his German wife, and somehow got to the UK with his *original* non-EEA spouse. He then went to the US where he married yet again. The last we knew, he had left/divorced his US wife and was attempting to get his *real* wife/family into the US. We also personally knew 2 other men who were married with families who had bigamous marriages (the woman in each case was paid) to get a green card. Both divorced the US 'wife' and subsequently brought the *real* families to the US. It took a few years in each case, but they managed it. That still bothers my husband, who says from time to time that he should have reported all three to INS.

Granted, this isn't a norm, but it does happen. It sounds to me like alarm bells are ringing for you, and if they are, there's probably a reason for that.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Thank you, Its just I feel like if anything were to happen I want the marriage to be recorded in both places, actually he was born in Jamaica. We were also married in NC. He is just very untrusting, and doesn't share all information, where I on the other hand am very trusting and forth coming. It just makes me wonder why is she so untrusting or is there something he is hiding. I tried before to research it, I will do so again. Thanks again for your insight.