Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

How quickly must my spouse use her UK visa once she gets it?

How quickly must my spouse use her UK visa once she gets it?

Old Mar 9th 2017, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

matandrobyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How quickly must my spouse use her UK visa once she gets it?

First post!

Once my (American) wife has her passport/visa back in her hands, how long can we take to move to the UK?

From reading between the lines I think we should use it within 3 months to avoid a second ILR application on the way to citizenship at 60 months, but I can't find that confirmed on Gov.uk or anywhere else.

Any advice welcome!

(And sorry if it's been answered here already, but this question's bloody hard to Google as I just get thousands of results to do with how long processing takes...)
Old Mar 9th 2017, 7:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How quickly must my spouse use her UK visa once she gets it?

Originally Posted by matandrobyn
First post!

Once my (American) wife has her passport/visa back in her hands, how long can we take to move to the UK?

From reading between the lines I think we should use it within 3 months to avoid a second ILR application on the way to citizenship at 60 months, but I can't find that confirmed on Gov.uk or anywhere else.

Any advice welcome!

(And sorry if it's been answered here already, but this question's bloody hard to Google as I just get thousands of results to do with how long processing takes...)
Welcome to BE.

Your wife will be asked to nominate a date for entry on her application form. She'll have 30 days from that date to enter the UK and collect her biometric residence visa.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

matandrobyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks @spouse of scouse - I guess I had that down pretty wrong then. Three cheers for helpful people and the internet.

Could be difficult to choose that date in advance given we don't know exactly how long the processing will take - what if they don't get the visa back to us by the nominated date I wonder? Or even a month after it. I guess picking a date a bit further in the future would be safest.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 8:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matandrobyn
Thanks @spouse of scouse - I guess I had that down pretty wrong then. Three cheers for helpful people and the internet.

Could be difficult to choose that date in advance given we don't know exactly how long the processing will take - what if they don't get the visa back to us by the nominated date I wonder? Or even a month after it. I guess picking a date a bit further in the future would be safest.
It's 30 days from your chosen date or from the date of the visa issue, whichever is later.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 8:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and you can only apply 3 months before your chosen date.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 9:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's 30 days from your chosen date or from the date of the visa issue, whichever is later.
Thanks Novo, I should have mentioned that too.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

BRAZ2UK is an unknown quantity at this point

30 days!? That doesn't leave us much time to sell the house and pack up our whole lives ( we don't see there's much point trying to do all that until we get an approved visa) I also thought there was a 3 month window which is why applicants from outside the UK are granted 33 month visa in contrast to those applying within the UK that get 30 months.

Another thing, when is it the moment they count that you have officially applied? When you pay the fee online I'm presuming. Or is it when you've submitted the documents to the VAC?
Old Mar 13th 2017, 11:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRAZ2UK
30 days!? That doesn't leave us much time to sell the house and pack up our whole lives ( we don't see there's much point trying to do all that until we get an approved visa) I also thought there was a 3 month window which is why applicants from outside the UK are granted 33 month visa in contrast to those applying within the UK that get 30 months.

Another thing, when is it the moment they count that you have officially applied? When you pay the fee online I'm presuming. Or is it when you've submitted the documents to the VAC?
It's 30 days from the date of entry you chose which can be up to three months in advance from the date of application.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Spring85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's 30 days from the date of entry you chose which can be up to three months in advance from the date of application.
Speaking about the 30 days vignette. This is my case: I had my appointment and biometrics taken 5 June, chosen entry date, 15 July, and for now no sign of a decision made from the Colombian Centre. (I know I'm starting week 6/12). They said and e-mail was going to be sent to me asking my passport to stamp the visa. The passport will be sent to an address in Colombia and then be re sent to my country. My concern is how long time of the vignette I will be losing meanwhile the visa is granted and I finally have it in my hands :/ What is the reason of the '30 days vignette? Thanks for your help!!
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:46 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spring85
Speaking about the 30 days vignette. This is my case: I had my appointment and biometrics taken 5 June, chosen entry date, 15 July, and for now no sign of a decision made from the Colombian Centre. (I know I'm starting week 6/12). They said and e-mail was going to be sent to me asking my passport to stamp the visa. The passport will be sent to an address in Colombia and then be re sent to my country. My concern is how long time of the vignette I will be losing meanwhile the visa is granted and I finally have it in my hands :/ What is the reason of the '30 days vignette? Thanks for your help!!
Your first question I can't help you with. Perhaps 3-5 days? The 30 day vignette was introduced because Biometric Residence Permits are now mandatory - the vignette is only designed to allow you to arrive in the UK, you then have ten days to collect your BRP from the Post Office.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Spring85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your first question I can't help you with. Perhaps 3-5 days? The 30 day vignette was introduced because Biometric Residence Permits are now mandatory - the vignette is only designed to allow you to arrive in the UK, you then have ten days to collect your BRP from the Post Office.
Thank you BiP! So I have to leave my country inside the period indicated in the vignette, let's say (10 Aug - 10 Sept) Can I travel still 8 Sept? I will write if more questions pop in my head and finally when the visa is (hopefully granted), and tell my experience in case someone finds it useful.

Last edited by Spring85; Jul 11th 2017 at 2:10 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

1jerusha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! This is a really useful thread, thanks! I'm planning ahead for a move in July 2018. Just want to clarify:

Let's say my (Canadian) husband applies 25th March, with desired date of entry 25th June. My job offer will state approx 1st Sept (it's teaching). Since that's within 3 months from the date of entry, that's ok, right?