British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   How many days can we leave the uk with Spouse Visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/how-many-days-can-we-leave-uk-spouse-visa-890535/)

Kittyfok Apr 20th 2020 1:11 am

Re: How many days can we leave the uk with Spouse Visa?

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12841133)
It’s 90 days per year on average (450 days over five years) and no more than 90 days in the final year when applying to naturalise as a British citizen. These are not the same requirements as for ILR for a spouse visa holder.

Sorry, I was a bit confused. Is the above requirement for ILR for a spouse visa holder or other types of visas? I was told that there’s no “days” requirement for spouse ILR, is that correct?

BritInParis Apr 20th 2020 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Kittyfok (Post 12841171)
Sorry, I was a bit confused. Is the above requirement for ILR for a spouse visa holder or other types of visas? I was told that there’s no “days” requirement for spouse ILR, is that correct?

I was referring to citizenship, not ILR.

For ILR there’s no hard limit for spouse visa holders like there is for work visas but you’ll still be expected to spend the majority of your time in the UK.

Kittyfok Apr 20th 2020 3:19 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12841199)
I was referring to citizenship, not ILR.

For ILR there’s no hard limit for spouse visa holders like there is for work visas but you’ll still be expected to spend the majority of your time in the UK.

Thanks BritInParis!

So, does it mean that when applying for citizenship, the above requirements (90 days and 450 days) apply to everyone including those spouse who have already obtained the ILR?

BritInParis Apr 20th 2020 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Kittyfok (Post 12841208)
Thanks BritInParis!

So, does it mean that when applying for citizenship, the above requirements (90 days and 450 days) apply to everyone including those spouse who have already obtained the ILR?

Correct.

Kittyfok Apr 20th 2020 9:21 am

Oh, but I’ve just found this from a website https://immigrationbarrister.co.uk/i...nce-in-the-uk/. It states the requirement for spouse and non-spouse is a bit different (3 years 270 days vs 5 years 450 days). Is the info correct?

British Citizenship after ILR

If you are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen then you will be eligible to naturalise as a British citizen as soon as you have been granted indefinite leave to remain and spent 3 years in the UK.

If you are not married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, you will be eligible to naturalise as a British citizen after you have held ILR for 12 months and spent 5 years in the UK.

The residence requirements for British citizenship are as follows:
  • No absences for more than 90 days in the last 12 months before applying;
  • If you are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, the total number of days absence for the whole 3-year period should not exceed 270.
  • If you are not married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, you should not have been outside the UK for more than 450 days in the 5-year qualifying period.

BritInParis Apr 22nd 2020 2:18 am

Same principle for spouses of British citizens (90 days per year on average, no more than 90 days in the last 12 months) but only the previous three years are taken into consideration.

Kittyfok Apr 22nd 2020 10:57 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12842357)
Same principle for spouses of British citizens (90 days per year on average, no more than 90 days in the last 12 months) but only the previous three years are taken into consideration.

Thank you so much!