How long did it take to get your documennts back?

Old Oct 6th 2023, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Henndigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long did it take to get your documennts back?

Hi all,

I applied for citizenship otherwise than by descent for my son, who was adopted overseas. I had to send his Australian passport to Liverpool, UK as part of the document checklist supplied.
They received it a month ago according to the tracking of the package but they are yet to return it to us. My son is going on an overseas holiday in mid-December/ Also, it's a pain not having it available for ID purposes.
It would be great if you could tell me how long it took to get your documents back, so that I know when to start telephoning or taking action.
When I applied for my British passport some years ago, I feel sure that they returned my documents much faster. That was before Covid though.
Old Oct 7th 2023, 1:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take to get your documennts back?

Six months before you can start chasing them. I would always recommend never submitting original passports for exactly the reasons you give. It’s not actually required for the application so submit a good quality photocopy instead with a note saying the original has been retained for travel purposes but is available on request.

Last edited by BritInParis; Oct 7th 2023 at 1:19 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2023, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Henndigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long did it take to get your documennts back?

Thanks BritInParis None of the MN1 notes said photocopies were acceptable; that they would keep the documents for six months (just the decision taking 6 months) or give any warning about impact on travel plans or needing them for ID. I am a bit annoyed about that but also at myself for not finding out the inevitable potholes before sending them all off and for assuming a quick return, as with my passport documents. I was in too much of a rush due to the 30-day deadline! Let my thread be a cautionary tale.

It looks like I would have to get a new passport for my son to travel. His current one runs out next year anyway.