How long can I visit the UK before applying for Visa?

Old Nov 13th 2018, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Breefinns is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How long can I visit the UK before applying for Visa?

Hello, all —

I initially planned to apply for my UK Spouse Visa from America this autumn, but had a financial setback (someone so kindly pointed out that all our savings needed to be in our personal account, instead of both personal and business accounts); thus, we have another 6 months to wait for application.

I’ll now be eligible to apply in May 2019, but we’d like to get a move on in January/February. We have large Golden Retriever to take over, and my Brit husband would like to set up his self-employed business in the UK and find housing before I even apply. Getting a head start would not only make it easier to answer the questions on the Visa application itself, as far as housing accommodation and finances go, but would also give us an opportunity to lay a foundation for if/when my Visa is approved and I actually move over myself.

I’ve read that if someone goes to the UK on a Visitor Visa, they would have to wait another 6 months after its expiry to apply for any other type of Visa (correct me if I’m wrong?). However, if I were to go over without a Visitor Visa for 2-3 months, would it still be okay for me to apply for my Spouse Visa in May?

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated — thank you!
Old Nov 13th 2018, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can I visit the UK before applying for Visa?

There is no rule that says you have to wait 6 months after a visitor visa before you can apply for spouse visa.
You can apply as soon as you return to your home country.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the clarification. I always appreciate the experts on here!
Old Nov 13th 2018, 11:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re a US citizen then you can apply for Leave to Enter for up to six months at the border, no visa required. The ‘rule’ you refer to is for those seeking to do back-to-back visits. It’s not hard and fast but anyone spending the majority of their time in the UK is unlikely to be viewed as a genuine visitor and may be refused entry. If you’re applying for a spouse visa then that won’t apply to you.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!